Career Path > Getting in

Rookie Nuke worker Questions

(1/33) > >>

JassenB:
Howdy, everybody. I'm a newbie to nukeworker.com and am looking for some advice on getting back into the industry. I have applied with Bartlett Nuclear to get into their worker pool, and they seem anxious to fill spots this fall at Seabrook.

My wife is intrigued with the idea of me being able to make good money but still being home quite a bit. So I guess my first question is thus: What do you like/not like about the outage-to-outage lifestyle?

I also would like to find out what I could do to make myself a better candidate for employment in the RCT/HP arena, since my Navy time was spent as a nuclear electrician's mate, not an ELT, which companies seem to prefer.

If it helps anybody, I did a single hitch as a nuke EM in the world's finest Navy, and I just completed the bachelor's degree program in nuclear engineering technologies at Thomas Edison State College. I've been out of the Navy for 2 years and have not been working in the nuclear industry. I did spend a year working as a utility operator in a pharmaceutical plant, where I received all the DOT and OSHA training for hazmat (HAZWOPR, RCRA, etc.). My HAZWOPR expired 2 weeks ago, so I need the refresher.

So, is there a way I can get back into the industry on the RCT/HP side with just my Navy training and a degree? Or is it a necessity to complete the DOE Core exams, the NRRPT, NEU, CHP, etc.?

Thanks a bunch for all your help!

-Jassen
Ft. Collins, CO

SloGlo:
jassen,  yer navy em and tech degree should be more than adequate to qualify for a jr hp tech slot at an outage coming soon.  yer not eligible for the nrrpt yet so don't sweat it.  re: those other tests, if ya need them, the site/company will give them.  'n always remember, the best training/test that you can take is the one you are getting paid for!  because that's the one you really, rily need, period.

JassenB:
Thanks for the info, SloGlo. That's actually what I was hoping for. I'm still waiting to hear back from Bartlett, but I'm optimistic. And training is always best paid for by somebody else, in my opinion. :)

Thank you!
-Jassen

duke99301:
will what ever you feel is best for you I was talking to a local here where I am at and 30 a year seems tops and they take side jobs to make it. some times you have to hit the road to make it or you can stay home and have a normel life.( home with a loving family) good luck

metalman40:
Have you looked into I&C contracting? An EM with a tech degree should have the background for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version