Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 138221 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: hi and a question
« Reply #150 on: Jan 29, 2007, 08:06 »
Google ESBWR, AP1000, AREVA EPR

The 3 leading designs based on current technology.

when ya google these, take down the url for each company, go there and you should find the data you're seeking.  wiki may help also.  another tack to take would be, after the first two googlings, to go to some anti-nuke sites.  they will have all the negatives per each type of site.  aka the nimby reasons.   these searches should give you a basis to construct your rough outline for your paper.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline cincinnatinuke

• Chemistry Technician CCNPP
  • Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Chem Tech, Calvert Cliffs ?????'s
« Reply #151 on: Mar 07, 2007, 07:51 »
I was searching around and saw that I did not leave a final disposition nor say thanks to everyone for their help.

I am heading back to CC on the 19th of March to do the security and psychological inprocessing.  So yes I chose Chemistry over NLO and MD over IA and Constellation over FPL.  I say it like that because that is exactly how it played out in my mind. 

I never did feel one job or position was a clear cut favorite.  Both NLO and chem tech seemed challenging and rewarding with avenues for progression in each.  It did seem clear, however, that NLO's advancements are more obvious in its progression but I cant say that anything I have done has gone according to plan.  If that were the case I would be referred to as Lt. Brink and preparing myself for a future at sea command of a sub one day or playing MLB for the Braves.  In other words the jobs were both great, both a step (WAYYYY!!!!) up, and didnt leave me with a feeling of regret on either.

Maryland is beautiful, at least where the plant is.  I know my girls are going to love having access to a beach and all the scenery that accompanies it.  IA is something I think I appreciate more than my wife, who immediately thought she would die of boredom there or at least be attacked by ravenous corn.  Both were great places to raise kids and had schools so it was indeed tough to choose.  In the end, what the wife wants she gets, except for my truck.  It is the only thing that is not in both of our names!

Constellation and FPL are excellent companies!  They both had plants in other areas of the country that I wouldnt have minded one day transferring to and treated me well.  I had no idea that they recently attempted a merger, but were shot down by locals in Baltimore over fear of price hikes.  Either way it was nice to see the professionalism on all sides and I dont think I could have gone wrong wither way.

In the end the final straw was the relocation package.  Good gracious it was a world of difference.  FPL's was great and even upped the ante, but Constellation in that regard was not going to be beaten.  I wont share specifics publicly, but it was a healthy boost to my ego when I have told friends, family, and co-workers.  I get to say I am going to work in a Nuclear Power Plant performing chemistry and here is what they are giving me to just start!!!  My mother never finished second grade in Durango, Mexico and crossed the border at 14 to work for pennies doing who knows what.  She can barely read spanish let alone english let alone write either.  And here I am getting excited over.....well everything.

Guys and gals, they pay OVERTIME!!!  What a concept.  You work more than eight hours and you get paid for it plus a half.  Of course I will stay late and get that done sir/mam!

Well before I get too excited I want to say thanks to everyone who chatted with me or gave me a call.  The advice really helped and I am fortunate to have found this site.

Rennhack or other moderators where do I pay for a gold member status?  I figure it is the least I can do.

God bless and good night folks.

David Brink

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Re: Chem Tech, Calvert Cliffs ?????'s
« Reply #152 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:48 »
David,

Congratulations on the new job and enjoy it!  At the bottom of Mike's profile is a link that will put you on the road to being a Gold Member.  Thanks for thinking of the site, we're honored. 

Tom

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2116 
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2007, 10:49 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

ramdog_1

Most Common questions asked about Nukes
« Reply #153 on: Jul 01, 2007, 02:09 »
In this link it talks about you navey guys. humm.
it is funny how the thing is topic 108!

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_russell__070629_nuclear_power_kills_3b.htm

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Most Common questions asked about Nukes
« Reply #154 on: Jul 04, 2007, 03:30 »
Wow!  What a genius.  I would have died believing all the lies if he hadn't come along to correct all my misconceptions.
And to think, all these years, I've been collecting a pension and lifetime healthcare from the Navy!
The most embarassing part is that I have been making a fool of myself by referring to that thing in the center of an atom as a "nucleus" instead of by it's correct name - "core".  I feel so stupid now.  Gotta go repent.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #155 on: Jul 04, 2007, 04:10 »
In this link it talks about you navey guys. humm.
it is funny how the thing is topic 108!

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_russell__070629_nuclear_power_kills_3b.htm

you have to love the objectivity of an op-ed site with the Cheney Impeachment button up top.

The 'expert' author Hoffman also has an interesting piece

http://www.counterpunch.org/hoffman10072005.html

where he describes the IAEA receiving the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize as "...an endorsement of genocide". oooookayyyy......

or who can forget Ace Hoffman's classic tome "AT LEAST KATRINA WASN'T NUCLEAR"

http://www.animatedsoftware.com/environment/no_nukes/2005/Katrina_Was_Not_Nuclear.htm

either way, they are useful in that it challenges one to think "ok, and here is why that assertion is science fiction..."

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #156 on: Jul 05, 2007, 12:40 »
you have to love the objectivity of an op-ed site with the Cheney Impeachment button up top.

Not to mention that listed as one of the top op-ed pieces is authored by Cindy Sheehan. It's scary knowing there are nut cases like this guy out there and even scarier to think that there are folks that believe him :(
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2007, 12:41 by PWHoppe »
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

ramdog_1

« Reply #157 on: Jul 09, 2007, 03:05 »
will i did not vote for Cheeny . do not go hunting with him .

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #158 on: Jul 09, 2007, 03:31 »
will i did not vote for Cheeny . do not go hunting with him .

Who was it that said 'I would rather go hunting with Dick Cheney than on a drive with Ted Kennedy?'
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

alphadude

« Reply #159 on: Jul 09, 2007, 05:31 »
save the politics for the bathroom wall.. we all know what a bunch of F*** ups the present adminstration is and its all clintons fault for not being able to run for president again.  actually its kennedys fault for being in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #160 on: Jul 09, 2007, 05:34 »
We are on thin ice for staying on topic and controversial subjects, but I am sure that we can self regulate.  :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?