Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 138881 times)

Dan_E.

Re: Newbie!! Tons of ??s Never will find the answers.
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2004, 03:08 »
In my part of the country, Laborers support everyone else which means a broad, general knowledge of everyone else's job. If this is true where you are going, you will have a great oppourtunity to ask questions and learn about all the various jobs at a nuke. So it's like getting paid to learn about (and work hard) many different occupations. Then you can make an educated decision about which direction you want to take. Good luck in whatever you choose!

moke

« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2004, 04:35 »
Frenchyjr,

Keep that positive attitude going. It's easy to get ahead in this field if you work hard and don't put any limitations upon yourself. You will need a good dose of coping skill to deal with whatever the road throws at you.

There are many involved that do just enough to get by. If you work hard, you will have goodluck!

Learn as much as you can every day and ask great questions. Don't do anything that you are not sure of and keep an open yet positive mind set.

I wish you luck. Get a network going for yourself and try to embrace those with superior knowledge because its bound to rub off.

Goodluck and again keep that postive attitude, laugh and have fun; "Enjoy the ride!"

Aloha & Goodluck,

Moke ;D

JassenB

« Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2004, 09:13 »
Frenchy-

Welcome to nukeworker.com, and the business. I'm actually working on putting a FAQ together about being a newbie and getting into the business.

I might get slammed for this, but somebody has to give the military plug. :) If you're willing to invest the time and energy, don't rule out the Navy nuclear power program. It's where a lot of people in the biz get there start. It's a great way to learn a trade, do an apprenticeship, AND finish at least an associate's degree, all while getting paid pretty decent wages.

I was a Navy nuke electrician, and I am currently attempting to transition into the HP field. I've learned a *lot* from the folks here on this board.

Good luck!
-Jassen

Jessie Williams

Looking for Guidance
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2004, 07:46 »
I am a trained Navy Nuke MM/ELT, but have not been working in the field, went to college and spent two years in the medical field as a service tech. I would like to return to the field and have been hunting for weeks. I have tried Bartlett, and several recruiters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated such as training programs, helpful hints ext. Thanks so much.
Jessie

GARYGWOODJR

Re: Looking for Guidance
« Reply #29 on: Mar 06, 2004, 08:30 »
If you havent done so already, look through my post and the post by JassenB in the Q&A section.  As I found out when I posted it is hard for people to give you advice unless they know what exactly you are looking for and your current qualifications.  You could try the NUMANCO and Philotechnics websites if you are looking for work as a RCT.  If you havent looked in the study section of the website there is alot of good info there also.  Almost everyone has told me to get on the road, do some jobs, make some contacts, then decide where you want to work.  I am kind of in the same boat as you but let me know if I can help in any way.   
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2004, 08:34 by WINGSFAN »

moodusjack

« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2004, 11:01 »
How many years ELT and how much actual time doing radcon vs monkey mate?  How much college did you get...AS or BS or just Almost?

Followup and I'll offer some options.

Jessie Williams

« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2004, 08:56 »
Thanx I spent 2.5 years as an ELT and all of that time was spent doing Elt work. mostly on a cruiser. I have the A.S and most of a B.S in math.
Thanx for any advice and I appreciate it . I am especcially concerned About the lag time I got out in 97. Any thing that you recomend to do before time like which tests and courses would be extra helpful. thanx again in advance
Jessie

scoon1

Job Seeking Help
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:55 »
I'm an ex-Navy Nuke (ET) with a degree in Engineering Management from the University of Illinois.  I'm trying to get back into the nuclear field and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any plants hiring now or in the near future.  I'm open to going anywhere.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

moke

Re: Lookings for an Ops job
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2004, 11:17 »
Scoon1,

Start by going through the Facilities Tab and start contacting everybody and their brother. Start sending out resumes like there aint no tomorrow til you get a bite.

Goodluck,

Moke

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Lookings for an Ops job
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:36 »
I'm an ex-Navy Nuke (ET) with a degree in Engineering Management from the University of Illinois.  I'm open to going anywhere. 

Anywhere is good. But how much will you demand for a salary? The TVA and Duke websites currently show positions for field operators at nuclear plants. Student Generating Plant Operator at TVA and Learner operator at Duke are the titles on the websites, I think.
http://duke-energy.com/careers/welcome/
http://www.tva.gov/employment/currentjobs.htm

Assuming your degree includes Calculus based Physics classes, you would probably qualify as a Shift Technical Advisor (STA). Many utilities want their licensed operators to be able to qualify STA at the time they qualify SRO (senior reactor operator). If you are interested in moving up the nuke field, OPS is a good way to go. I&C is also open to you, but I would say OPS is best for upward mobility.

There are many nuke opportunities other places, but I only check the Southeast on a routine basis.
BEST OF LUCK!   8)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

mikez0402

So many questions...
« Reply #35 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:35 »
I am a Navy MM1 getting out in May 2005, and although that sounds like a lot of time to prepare, based off of the confusion I am creating for myself, I think I can use the time.  I have some questions maybe everyone can help me with.  First off my history goes something like this, my first sub I did one deployment then decommed her, second sub I did 1.5 patrols and took her through a year and a half overhaul, then I went to a tender as a RCT and then RCSS, now I am working here in Groton once again as a RCT and shooting for RCTS by summer-ish.  I will finish my BS from TESC by the end of the year.  I am just starting to sprout into the supervising stage of my career and now am wondering if I have to start over from here.  Is that so?  Also, is RCT or mechanical operator the only reliable ways to go or is it possible to successfully branch off now to something a little different?  Finally, one of the most important reasons I am leaving the Navy is because I am tired of moving every 2 years, so the prospect of doing it even more as a civilian and with a new family doesn't excite me.  Should that mean I need to stop considering the nuke field and just try my way in the non-nuke world?  Any kind of guidance, suggestions or contructive criticism would be greatly appreciated...

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Re: So many questions...
« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2004, 08:08 »
Sounds like you would be a good candidate for an OPS position. Check the websites monthly for the companies owning nukes all the places you would work until you get down to 6 months. If your dream commercial plant hasn't been hiring during 6 months, post it here and we can tell you how they hire (for example: St. Lucie doesn't hire off the street operators, they move up from Turkey Point in the FP&L system.)

There are also opportunities for long-term jobs with DOE / waste sites as a RADCON Tech, and occasional openings for house techs at commercial plants.

Yes, it's sort of starting over. It won't take long to be in a "supervisory" position similar to RCSS in either OPS or HP fields, and the pay will be more like XO!

Moving out is up! Don't get so scared you sign away more years from your family!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

GARYGWOODJR

« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2004, 11:21 »
Check out some of the threads I started because there is alot of good advice about career paths from the guys on this site.  Sit down and come up with a plan while you still can,  time starts to speed up as you get closer.

The one thing I have learned so far is that you have to figure out where you really want to live and what it will cost.  Several people have given me leads on jobs but unfortunately some of them have been in places I didnt think I could afford to live.

The other thing I have learned is that 3 or 4 weeks is not very much time when you are looking for a job.  I was told by Hanford that I had made it passed the initial SRCT screening and would be contacted for a phone interview at the end of February.  I called last week and HR told me that they had not even started the phone interview process for position I had applied for, and probably wouldnt for at least two more weeks.

Last but not least, if there is anything I can do to help or pass on what I have learned during my job search, let me know.  It is the least I can do considering all the help that everyone here has given me.     

capper

« Reply #38 on: Apr 01, 2004, 02:27 »
Greetings.

I personally like the OPS route.  I didn't like going away in the navy and therefore didn't want to be a road tech.  Although it sounds like fun, it just isn’t my thing.  I came to my plant in ops.  About two years later, I interviewed for a HP house tech position at my plant.  After I thought about it I realized that I was an operator thru and thru.  If you liked operating the plant in the navy you will like being an operator at a commercial plant.  It is a much different ball game.  Much better. 

I work at palisades.  We hire operators about once a year.  We will be hiring NLO again in Jan. of 2005.  Palisades is in South West Michigan.  If you are interested I will PM you some HR contacts. 

I got out of the navy 4 years ago.  I still have never been happier.  I never dread going to work, I like the people I work with, and I have fun at work. 

Starting as a NLO is starting at the bottom but it is not like the Navy.   You should go on some interviews and see if you think you would like it.  You don't go away but you do work rotating shifts.  Some people just don't like that.

If I can be of any assistance let me know.

mikez0402

« Reply #39 on: Apr 01, 2004, 04:02 »
Thank you everyone, you have been very helpful so far and I am sure I will need more advice in the next year...

oldradman

Re: Rookie Nuke worker Questions
« Reply #40 on: Apr 02, 2004, 02:22 »
1.  Addresses for everywhere you have ever lived.
2.  Names, Addresses, Phone numbers and supervisors of every place you worked.
3.  References with names, phones, address.
4. Birth certificates, SS #s, Photo ID.
5 Job Discription of every place you worked

Did I miss much?

YOU STILL IN THE BUSINESS? LEFT OR GOT OUT A FEW YEARS AGO DID YOU NOT? 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Job Search Strategy
« Reply #41 on: Apr 27, 2004, 01:21 »
I would like to post this article as a starting point for many who are ready to transition (or just testing the waters!)
While the terms aren't from the nuclear industry, the general guidance looks like it would be successful in a short period of time.

-----ROLL TIDE!!

Under the radar: The One-Week Job Search

You want a new job, so you call a few friends and answer a few ads. Nothing comes of it, so you give up.

That's the typical job seeker. There's a better way to land a job. I call it the One-Week Job Search. Yes, it's a demanding week, but afterwards, you may be able to sit back and watch the interview requests roll in.

DAY 1

1. Prepare three PAR stories. PAR stands for "Problem-Approach--Resolution." Rehearse a brief story in which you briefly describe a problem you faced at work, how you approached it, and its positive resolution.

Example: We were having trouble meeting our fundraising goal. I decided that we should try an auction with a local celebrity as the auctioneer. I led the entire effort and we raised $27,000 in one night.

Rehearse your PAR stories with a friend or by talking into a tape recorder.

2. Create your resume Creating a resume is a few-hour not a few-week activity. ResumeMaker 10.0 ($39.95) software makes it easy. It has hundreds of model resumes. Pick one that's most like the one you'd like to create. Plug in your information, inspired by what you saw in the model resume(s). Focus on accomplishments, not just duties. Show a draft to a respected person or two.

DAY 2

Make a list of 50 potential employers. Can't find 50? Your Yellow Pages or a reference librarian may help. For a list of government employers, see the front of the local White Pages.

To get the name of the specific person to contact, call the organization's switchboard and say, "I need to email a senior marketing (or whatever's appropriate) person. Can I get the correct spelling of his or her name and e-mail address?"

DAY 3

1. Make a list of every person in your extended personal network. That means everyone from your former co-workers to your haircutter to your parent's best friend, to that person in your study group at college 20 years ago. Put at least 50, ideally 100, people on that list. And yes, you do know 50 people! And yes, even if you haven't spoken to them for years and didn't know them well back then, if they know someone who might hire you, they will usually tell you about him or her.

2. Write a human, brief letter to be emailed to prospective employers and to people in your personal network. Example:

Dear (insert prospective employer's name),

I'm interested in working for your company because recent newspaper articles have discussed the ethnic strife in your workforce. I am a human resources manager with special expertise in diversity management. Also, your office is just ten minutes from my home.

Until last week, I was working for ABC Corp. I am one of 50 people who was downsized. They really liked me, so it was quite a shock. In any event, I'm looking for a job.

Some recent accomplishments:

(Insert three one-line bullets)

If you think I might be of help to you, I'd welcome a call. My number is (insert number) and the best times to reach me are (insert times.) I know how busy you likely are, so if I haven't heard from you in a week, I'll take the liberty of phoning to follow up.

Sincerely,

DAY 4

E-mail your resume and semi-personalized cover letter to the people you identified on Days 2 and 3.

If your background is superior to most applicants for your target position, it's worth taking the time to post your resume on job sites such as craigslist.org, monster.com, careerbuilder.com, usajobs.opm.gov (federal jobs), caljobs.ca.gov (state and local jobs) . Many of those sites will allow you to sign up for electronic "agents" that notify you whenever a new job opening is posted that matches your qualifications. Sign up for those.

For a master list of career-specific employment sites, go to www.rileyguide.com/jobs.html or consult the book, Career Xroads.

DAY 5

Respond to at least five want ads (at the above sites) for which you are well qualified.

Here's a model letter:

Dear XXX,

I was excited to see your posting for Job #365778 on bayrecruiter.com because I believe I'm a good fit.

JOB REQUIREMENTS                   
Insert the requirements as stated in the ad.                   

MY BACKGROUND
Insert how you meet the requirement.

I hope to have the opportunity to interview.

Sincerely,

DAY 6+

Phone any people who responded to your email. Be prepared to tell your PAR stories.

If it feels appropriate, ask questions about the employer's needs to see if a case could be made for creating a position for you. If so, say something like, "Having listened carefully to what you were saying, it sounds like I could be of most help to you if I did X. Might that be a possibility?"

If the person says he has no job for you, ask if he would mind if you contacted him again in a month to see if the situation has changed. Or ask if she would suggest other potential employers you should speak with.

DAY 7

You now have plenty irons in the fire. Have fun! 

Dr. Marty Nemko is a career and education counselor in Oakland, California and hosts "Work With Marty Nemko," Sundays 11 to noon on KALW, 91.7FM. He is co-author of Cool Careers for Dummies.

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
Re: Job Search Strategy
« Reply #42 on: Apr 27, 2004, 01:23 »
For those who would like additional articles from this author, here is the link:

http://www.martynemko.com/home.htm

ramdog_1

« Reply #43 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:26 »
wow !

moke

« Reply #44 on: Apr 27, 2004, 02:42 »
Roll Tide,

Keep up the great work!

Mahalo,

Moke

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #45 on: Apr 27, 2004, 11:00 »
I would like everyone to have a clear head and realistic expectations upon transition from their current job (especially those getting out of the Nuke Navy!)

Hope the one-week strategy is a great starting point!

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
« Reply #46 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:24 »
This won't come cheap, but the cost is tax deductible as a job-related expense. Join the American Nuclear Society and Health Physics Society. The website for each group has a "career" area for members to post their resumes (it'll help you to get the exposure you're looking for), and review current job postings.

ex-turbine_cowboy

« Reply #47 on: Apr 29, 2004, 10:44 »
For a master list of career-specific employment sites, go to www.rileyguide.com/jobs.html or consult the book, Career Xroads. [/color]

8) This is cool.  I went to the rileyguide.com and the nuclear list was a link to something called nukeworker.com  8) No mention of other inferior sites 8)

Offline Roll Tide

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #48 on: Apr 29, 2004, 08:27 »
8) This is cool.  I went to the rileyguide.com and the nuclear list was a link to something called nukeworker.com  8) No mention of other inferior sites 8)

I guess I am smarter than I thought!

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #49 on: Apr 30, 2004, 04:22 »
I don't want to seem flippant....But there is the luck factor too. worked for me. Knowledge backed up the luck and there is much  to be said for putting oneself in the right place at the right time.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?