Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 138871 times)

GARYGWOODJR

Re: Job Search Strategy
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2004, 07:33 »
I have some additional advice based on what I have learned during my job search.  I hope it helps.

Prepare three PAR stories. PAR stands for "Problem-Approach--Resolution."

Sometimes these are referred to as STAR "situation-task-action-result".  I was required to answer several questions in this manner during my last interview.  Some examples:

-Tell me about the most difficult maintenance item you have ever performed.
-Tell me about a time that you identified a process that required improvement and what you did.

Other questions you might want have answers to:

-Tell me about a time that you did not agree with a descision that your boss made and what you did.
-How do you set priorities.
-How do you plan your day.
-Tell about you last work day.

As far as resumes go:

In my opinion the best book out there is "The Complete Idots Guide to the Perfect Resume". 

Make sure you have your resume in text format in advance to apply to online jobs.

Like Moke said in a previous post on another thread get addresses, emails, or both and get them out there.

By far the very best way to get yourself in position for a potential interview is to talk to someone in person or on the phone.  Call the plant directly and ask for HR.  At the very least they will give you the name of the corporate recruiter.  Call him and let him know what you are looking for.  I called Surry and they patched me straight through to the Control Room Supervisor.     

Practice answering the question: So....tell me about yourself.  I have been called without warning and asked that question right off the bat.  5 minutes after that call the phone rang again and it was the same thing all over again.

If you are transitioning from the Navy be persistant and patient.  This is not like working with your detailer.  3 to 4 weeks in this industry is not necessarily a long time.

Fermi2

Re: So many questions...
« Reply #51 on: Jul 17, 2004, 01:22 »
FP and L just started hiring Off The Street Operators BIG TIME! and from what I hear they'll be doing so for some time. They just stole my CRS!!!

Mike

wheeln

Re: Looking for Guidance
« Reply #52 on: Aug 24, 2004, 10:50 »
I have been trying to jump start my career in the Nuke world and so far I have worked at a DOE site off and on for 4 years as a Data Recorder and presently as  a Laborer.  I am very interested in advancing my skills to include RCT and or Operator.  I have been searching for ways to get my foot in the door and I have made several contacts in doing so, but my efforts have evaded me thus far. 
My goals and intentions are to focus on RCT work.  I have worked with several RCT's employeed by EG&G and Bartlett that have given me some experience here and there.  I really want to improve and learn more on this field.  Is there anyone out there that would be willing to give me a hand and point me in the right directions ???  Most of my contacts have told me about this site and  I  check it out almost everyday since joining.  I know there are companies out there that are willing to train "rookie nukies" from start or those that do have quals already. 
If there is any help that you can offer me, my ears are willing to listen  8)   Thanks for taking the time to read this inquiri.

alphadude

« Reply #53 on: Aug 24, 2004, 01:30 »
got yer DOE core?  a junior job was just posted on here not too long ago for a DOE site.

exnuke19

« Reply #54 on: Aug 26, 2004, 12:46 »
Ocassionally on Monster.com there is an add for a nuke recruiting company out of Washington. Anyone have dealings with this company?

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #55 on: Aug 26, 2004, 06:26 »
DOE and Juniors:  Obviously a trip away from home will probably be in your future no matter how you play your cards.  Kelly Scientific is currently looking for Juniors in Oak Ridge, minimum experience required and a way in.  If you apply with them, have patience, whey respond to perspective employee's with the speed of a snail race!  Money doesn't seem bad for the area and future training should be available.

Try this site:  http://www.radix.net/~gregsackett/jobs.htm

Hope it helps, RG

Heather7

intrested in the nuclear industry
« Reply #56 on: Aug 28, 2004, 03:30 »
I am currently working for manafort brothers, decommisioning Connecticut Yankee.  I want to be an HP, start at the bottom and be a deconner, how do I get involved if they all want expierience?

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
Re: intrested in the nuclear industry
« Reply #57 on: Aug 28, 2004, 11:57 »
Bartlett Nuclear @ 800 -225-0385. I'm sure they can help if you have the slighest bit of nuclear power experience.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #58 on: Aug 29, 2004, 06:37 »
EDUCATION:  All the contract companies will use you and lose you!  I suggest some type of higher education, or Tech school and search for some form of specialty.  If your at CY check out the FSS group, or Radwaste.  Maybe Mass Spec, or even IH. 

Ommetikklan

« Reply #59 on: Sep 25, 2004, 02:47 »
Does anybody actually work for the shipyards? I know Norfolk and CT are always looking for RCTs. I've considered it as one of my options, but I don't know how the pay compares to non-Navy RCT work.  I would prefer to stay away from the Navy though...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #60 on: Sep 27, 2004, 04:57 »
Does anybody actually work for the shipyards? I know Norfolk and CT are always looking for RCTs. I've considered it as one of my options, but I don't know how the pay compares to non-Navy RCT work.  I would prefer to stay away from the Navy though...

I started out in the shipyards (Electric Boat), but the money's way better in commercial power, plus you avoid all the 108 BS.  Only reason I can think of to recommend working a yard is if you want/need to be in that area.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

jross

Any advice on getting work in the industry?
« Reply #61 on: Nov 04, 2004, 10:20 »
Hi (sorry if this is the wrong forum), I'm a physics/math undergrad at Cal Poly SLO, and I'm looking to work in the nuclear power industry; any suggestions on how to go about this? My interest is primarily in reactor research, but I'm trying to get info on what exactly Health Physics entails (any good sources for that?). I currently work at the CP Radioanalytic Facility doing enviornmental rad monitoring for PG&E's Diablo Canyon. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated!
-John Ross
Cal Poly Physics

Asa1

nuclear power
« Reply #62 on: Nov 05, 2004, 12:52 »
jcross,

You're probably better off staying at a research facility versus a commercial plant. The big commecial plant people really aren't into reasearch; unless it's reasearch about making more money. There are plenty of labs out there that are always looking for help. Los Alamos, Sandia, Lawrence Livermore, Brookhaven just to name a few. Search Greg Sackett's job listings (or maybe it's U of M's page) for those research type of jobs. Good luck.

Nuclear Professor

« Reply #63 on: Nov 14, 2004, 11:01 »
Hi Heather7

If you are interested in pursuing higher education degree, I suggest checking the University of Cincinnati, they have a great program, this is a link to their website.

http://www.min.uc.edu/nuclear/htmfile/edu.html

Good luck

Ned Xoubi, Ms NE

skyraker

Job Seeking Help
« Reply #64 on: Nov 18, 2004, 12:32 »
Not sure if this would go better on this board or on the Navy Nuke board.

I'm a current Navy Nuke MM getting out in mid-2005. I am trying to search for Maintenance/Mechanical jobs at Nuclear Plants, but 99% of the jobs I see listed for anything nuclear are Management/Engineer, Rad Health and Chemistry, or Operators. While Operations is one area I've thought of, it isn't my preferance. And I don't see myself as being really qualified for the vast majority of Management positions despite the supervision experience I do have.

Any suggestions on how to better locate these jobs?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
Re: Job Seeking Help
« Reply #65 on: Nov 18, 2004, 01:43 »
Patience for now, and go OPS if you don't spot a maintenance vacancy. There are many aging maintenance workers (higher percentage than HP or OPS at most plants) at US Nukes, and they will be retiring en masse shortly.

When they do, the floodgates will open for new hires. OPS training will put you in good shape to move up quickly in maintenance fields.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2004, 04:38 »
Always go ops, ALWAYS. With operations training you can go anywhere, as a maintenance man you will only do maintenance. Most maintenance personnel are not trained like the Navy because commercial nukes don't have the same standards of quality so maintenance personnel are a dime a dozen. As an operator, and exNavy Nuke, you can move quickly to management such as SRO where they will burn you out and then ship you off to work control, training, and EP. From there you can run any department except maybe RP.  Good Luck!! 
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

skyraker

« Reply #67 on: Nov 23, 2004, 12:31 »
A small adendum to my post. I read somewhere that typically the Operations progression is from NLO to Operator to SRO.

The description I got of NLO makes me think that what I have done in the Navy would be somewhat equal to what is expected by an NLO. Is this true? And if so, do companies usually hire workers straight into RO? Or is it more like a hierachy situation where you pretty much have to start at the bottom?

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #68 on: Nov 23, 2004, 01:41 »
I just want to inject a note of reality here.  "Starting at the bottom" in some plants as a non-licensed operator is hardly an entry-level position.  Unless you go to San Onofre or the deep south, you can expect to start at well over fifty grand your first year.  By the time you finish your training, you'll be doing 100k with overtime.  And as an added bonus, you will no longer have to paint and scrub your equipment.    Someone else gets paid to do that, you just turn the valves and switches.  You won't have to run battle station drills during the time you were supposed to be sleeping.  And the floor will always be in the same place when you take the next step as it was for the last one.  So, don't let the idea discourage you.  It's a good gig, and there is a career path ahead of you.

You are right about those management jobs, unless you are at least a Commander you won't get near one right out of the Navy. 

The maintenance jobs do not require the level of training that you have.  They are the basic mechanic, electrician, boilermaker kind of jobs.  The only exception is instrument maintenance.  If you hate working rotating shifts, you should consider that, but I&C techs don't get promoted the way operators do.  There are about three or four NLO's per shift on a single-unit plant.  There are two or three Control Operators, with a Senior Reactor Operator, and a Shift Superintendent.  You see?  The heirarchy narrows but not as much as all the other jobs at the plant, where there are twenty workers to one foreman - you have to wait for nineteen other guys to retire just to get your first promotion.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd have gone to ops after the Navy.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004, 01:53 by Beer Court »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Bingo

• Rad Supervisor
  • Light User
  • GO Cubs !!!
« Reply #69 on: Nov 23, 2004, 02:19 »
BNFL is always looking for maintainance and ops technicians at their Idaho Facility. 
http://bnflinc.com/
Not sure if this would go better on this board or on the Navy Nuke board.

I'm a current Navy Nuke MM getting out in mid-2005. I am trying to search for Maintenance/Mechanical jobs at Nuclear Plants, but 99% of the jobs I see listed for anything nuclear are Management/Engineer, Rad Health and Chemistry, or Operators. While Operations is one area I've thought of, it isn't my preferance. And I don't see myself as being really qualified for the vast majority of Management positions despite the supervision experience I do have.

Any suggestions on how to better locate these jobs?

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
Other options in the nuke industry?
« Reply #70 on: Nov 24, 2004, 08:27 »
Ok, here's the deal.  For the last 16 months I've learned how to be a junior RP Tech at Big Rock, mainly focusing on bulk material release, with occasional sojourns into the other side of the house (ops) for some nearly-real RP experience.  Directly prior to this I spent 5 years as an admin assistant at Fermi in the training department, a job I loved to tears but also one that didn't pay beans.

I realize that decom isn't the best RP experience to have to get farther out into the real nuke world, although it was a great opportunity for me, having done nothing more previously than help during an outage as PCM watch.  And I realize that if I try to head off to another plant, I probably have a good chance at getting some great experience.  I actually had planned to try to head to Fermi this year for RF09 as a junior, but real life issues got in the way.

My problem is that... well... moving out of a comfortable (if unpleasant at times) niche is very difficult for me.  I came up to the Rock only because another friend was making a leap of faith at the same time.  When it comes to thinking about going someplace new, all by myself, where I could *gasp* do something wrong or find out yet again that there are gabillions of things I don't know... the stress starts to pile up.

In the same manner, I realize that the Rock is on its way down, and I can only hold this job out for just so long.  As well, my fresh-from-the-Navy boyfriend is searching for a job elsewhere, and I'll be trudging along with him when he finally lands something.  So sometime real soon here I'm going to have to branch out, as frightening as the prospect is.

What I was wondering is if there are almost-equitable options out there, something nuke-related, with pay near to equal, where I could slowly learn the ins and outs of this industry, or if it's better to jump in with both feet, eyes closed and nose plugged.  I had planned to go back to office work when my boyfriend gets a job, but even I'm not so dense as to think that office work will come close to maintaining the lifestyle I'm used to now, unless the job interview fairy hands me an executive assistant position with a decent salary package, complete with a brand-new appropriate wardrobe.

At this point, if I stay in the Nuke industry, anywhere I go I'll be going alone.  And even tho I tend to become quite the social butterfly, I rarely make close friends, and the beginning meet-and-greet part brings out the shy side of me ten-fold.

So does anyone have any suggestions for a scaredy cat?  Even tho I've always talked about travelling the country, right now my comfort zone tends to be within driving distance of home.  I've been considering training in a corner of my mind - is it worth it?  And does anyone else have the initial job-site heeby-jeebies, and how do they get over them?  I like what I know of the industry so far, and would love to continue... I'm just not sure what the best path is to take.
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

Dan_E.

Re: Other options in the nuke industry?
« Reply #71 on: Nov 25, 2004, 01:13 »
Eightmile,
 Jump! But keep both eyes open, though you may have to plug your nose once in a while.
 Yes, you'll get the "heeby-jeebies" but you wouldn't be human if you didn't. I started off going clear across the country, bombing the Jr. test by one question and deconning my first outage. You learn and try not to repeat the same mistakes.
 Don't be afraid to ask for help and you'll get it, nukeworkers of all professions will help you out if they can.

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
Re: Other options in the nuke industry?
« Reply #72 on: Nov 25, 2004, 11:03 »
Dan, thanks for the response.  One of the things I have noticed (and have known since I was 14 when I first started visiting my mom for Bring Your Kid to Work day at a Nuke site haha) is that there are so many folks in the industry that are great to deal with.

Looks like I've gotta work on my confidence and then maybe take a dive... hopefully I'll be able to get over the belly flops I'll take along the way!

Karma to you for your response, and thanks again ;)
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

jradcop

« Reply #73 on: Nov 26, 2004, 01:33 »
Have you considered trying Bruce Power
I know that they were looking for more MM
go to http://brucepower.com
Search in through the careers section.

Stix

« Reply #74 on: Nov 26, 2004, 05:13 »
I assume that you don't want to travel since that has been what you have been doing for the past several years, but if you are interested in travel, or you are not sure where you want to settle down, you could consider working for contract maintenance companies.  This option allows you to see the various plants before you hire on permanently and the area that they are in.  This also allows you to see the internal jobs before they hit the streets and devolop internal contacts.  Some companies, for example, would be Westinghouse, Atlantic, and Venture to name a few.  Check the links on the Featured companies of this site, and try the links on the roadtechs site under nuclear.  Good luck. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?