Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Rookie Nuke worker Questions honeypot

Author Topic: Rookie Nuke worker Questions  (Read 138219 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Other options in the nuke industry?
« Reply #75 on: Nov 27, 2004, 11:47 »
Ok, here's the deal.  For the last 16 months I've learned how to be a junior RP Tech at Big Rock, mainly focusing on bulk material release, with occasional sojourns into the other side of the house (ops) for some nearly-real RP experience. 
My problem is that... well... moving out of a comfortable (if unpleasant at times) niche is very difficult for me.  I came up to the Rock only because another friend was making a leap of faith at the same time.  When it comes to thinking about going someplace new, all by myself, where I could *gasp* do something wrong or find out yet again that there are gabillions of things I don't know... the stress starts to pile up.
What I was wondering is if there are almost-equitable options out there, something nuke-related, with pay near to equal, where I could slowly learn the ins and outs of this industry, or if it's better to jump in with both feet, eyes closed and nose plugged. So does anyone have any suggestions for a scaredy cat?  Even tho I've always talked about travelling the country, right now my comfort zone tends to be within driving distance of home.  I've been considering training in a corner of my mind - is it worth it?  And does anyone else have the initial job-site heeby-jeebies, and how do they get over them? 
talk with the sr rp people on the site who are working for contractors.  look to find out from them d&d contractors who have contracts in your neighborhood.  you may have to expand your definition of neighborhood beyond what mr. rogers referenced.  but having done bulk release of materials at big rock, you at least have some idea of what can get involved doing this job.  trust me, you probably know as much about this as some of the greybeards that inhabit this site from the powerblock side of the industry.  there is nothing wrong with maintenance of a comfort zone, although one may find they have to redefine it to fit with the reality. 
if there are no hits on the first step, look for sites getting ready for remediation work in your region.  remediation is different than d&d, as there is no delicense work involved during remediation.  one approach to this would be to shotgun letters to the employers listed here at nukeworker.com.  another approach would be to cruise the federal epa site, and the epa sites of states that are included in your comfort zone. 
should these searches fail to yield interesting items for cognitive inclusion, there is always the powerblocks.  get it touch with contractors that supply techs to the power plants and look for jr. rp positions.  be prepared for the cranial reconstruction that will be forthcoming.
training traditionally doesn't pay as well as occupations in the performance end of the industry.  however, it is a welcome touchy-feely area of employment.  the good paying positions are for them what have a personal knowledge base to teach from.  until you know how stuff works, it's tough to teach it, public educators aside. ;)
don't worry about the heebie-jeebies.  iffen it wuzant fer da butterflies in my stomach, i'd never be able to phleye.
good luck.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2004, 11:49 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

CL

Hi, people.. I am currently working in the IT industry.. and I hate it.  Now Pickering, Ontario Canada is currently looking for Control Technician.  So I am thinking of appling..

However, I have concern working in a Nuclear Power Plant.  In the job description, it already told that I will expose to low level of radations..  Now, there had been lot of talks about living near the Power Plant could cause Cancer..  If I work there... you know what I mean.....

Seem many of you working in this feilds for many years...  Can anyone here give me some advise?  Is working in an Nuclear Power Plant save and worth it??  Any report of Cancer cases amount workers???  Many Thanks..

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
Here's a good place to get some answers to your questions: http://www.nukeworker.com/study/radiation_faqs/index.shtml 

I've worked for a utility company for just over 20 years, but I've only been in the nuclear end for 6 1/2 years.  I had many of the same worries you have now back then.  I wish this site had been around then.  I'd have felt better about working here sooner. 

You've come to the right place to get answers to your questions.  Welcome aboard. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

CL

Thank you very much...  It is this kind of site (below) that made me worry...

http://www.blackhole.on.ca/nuclear_oldest.htm

Pickering Power Plant accounding the above website, is the oldesnt nuclear power plant in the country... and what they said inside that website making me very worry...   I actually working accross the streets from it now...  it sounded like it is saver working inside the plant then outside.... 
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2004, 06:15 by CL »

RAD-GHOST

No matter what environment you choose to endeavor in, your looking at many hazards.  The best advice, is to work for a company that educates and advocates safety in it's industry.  Straight out of the blocks, the posting explained the potential of being exposed to low level radiation! 

That's a Very Good Start!

The website you referenced, is an " ANTI " opinion, based on the long shots!  Which, in fact, is the bases of design for most Nuclear Power Stations.  I haven't had my ear to the news lately, but I can't recall hearing about a lot of seismic activity in Canada, in past years!  Possible, YES!  Probable, NO!  If a seismic event did take place, which could cause damage to the facility, would the plant be your biggest worry?  These Anti-Nuke groups are simply looking for their 15 minutes of importance and usually pushing their venue for a buck!  Either a Book, or a T-Shirt, it's usually all about the bucks!     

Age of the plants, is another concern.  Todays utilities run them longer and harder, which does influence component malfunctions, but you have to view the overall big picture!  These plants were not assembled with parts from the local hardware store!  They were assembled with reliable components from a variety of industries, all with proven track records.  Many of the safety systems are redundent, two or three fold!  That's like having a spare engines, or two, in your car, ready to run at the flip of a switch! 

Radiation Exposure:  In the past decades it was simply part of the job.  Today it is one of the prime indicators of a plants performance, World Wide!  Unlike a lot of industries, the hazards associated with low level exposure have yet to be determined.  The world wide population, of low level exposed individuals, hasn't established any specific statistical pattern, as of yet!   Other Industries don't have it so lucky!  The products of some of their processes, doesn't allow a lot of room for error, some ZERO!

One final note, you have to appreciate the website name, " Blackhole "!  Seems like an Appropriate Name!

RG 

CL

Thanks for all the info.  I am applying...  I hope I can get in..

I looked up, Health Canada only allow worker to had 50 mSv a year or 100 mSv for 5 years.  How much is allow in the U.S.?  Just wondering...

Below is the link.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/iyh/environment/exposure.html

Offline Tina

• Moderate User
  • Face wht your afraid of, Find out wht your made of
Re: Job Search Strategy
« Reply #81 on: Dec 29, 2004, 11:18 »
 ;D WOW I would like to send a " BIG KUDOS" to all who have made contribution to this thread...  8)

I have been sending out resumes one after another and making follow up calls for over a month now and trying to keep a positive attitude toward my endevors by using the mind set of "If a person throws enough mud somethings bound to stick"...

And I'm currently still plugging away with hopes of "After the First of the Year"....

But this information that I have just read will make me take two maybe even three steps back and regroup.  I'm glad to hear there is a system to the madness... and I want to thank all of you for this well need kick in the pants ...  8)

;) There really is a Santa Claus  ;) now on with my second wind  8)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
If you're going to be working in IT at Pickering, you will likely receive no exposure at all.  Most of the plant contains no radioactive systems at all. Those areas that do have any, have relatively few computers in them, and even those areas have very low radiation levels.
Even though you are allowed 50mSv per year, OPG wil limit you to 10.  Most people who work there receive far less than 1mSv per year.

By the way, Canada does not use the SI units of Sieverts, Grays, Becquerels,... etc.  They, like the US, use the older units REM, RAD, and Counts Per Minute.  1milliSievert is equal to 100 millirem.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

septemberfreedom

Re: Job Seeking Help
« Reply #83 on: Jan 31, 2005, 02:58 »
Help me please!
I was a reactor operator on an SSN.  I made e-6 in five years(without re-upping).  I was the LPO for 2 years.  Where do I go to get into the operations line of work?  Should I seriously be looking for an entry-level job?  I don't want to sound conceited, I just don't know where to be looking or what to be looking for.  Who do I need to send my resume to (names & addresses)?  I separated in Oct. 2004 and am completing the TESC nuke eng. tech. BS degree.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Fermi2

« Reply #84 on: Jan 31, 2005, 11:59 »
Minimum qualifications for an entry level position. I hope that doesn't sound harsh because it's not meant to be. You have the bare minimum qualifications for an Operations or maintenance position, and since you don't have a Masters or an SRO License you don't have the qualifications for a management position.

Get an entry level Ops position, you'll make a LOT of money, and eventually if you show common sense and judgement you'll end up with an SRO License.

I already have an SRO License on a BWR, and soon will be employed at Sequoyah where I'll get an SRO License. Can you say GOLD???

Mike

JnyMac

« Reply #85 on: Feb 02, 2005, 06:13 »
Help me out here guys.  The last time I think anyone was hiring right into RO class was when the last big string of plants were being built.  I work at Palo Verde and the Operations progression process is NLO, RO, and then SRO.  We have NLOs from other utilities that have held RO and SRO licenses.  That does not mean they go directly to class.  The RO selection states that you must be fully qualified as an NLO.  Then pass a selection test with 50 plant knowledge and 50 License fundamentals questions.  Then the Shift Managers gather and rate your work, personnality, and professionalism.  These all combined get you into class.  Some guys make it on the first attempt.  Others will never make it.  The NLO position is great and quite rewarding.  The money is great and resonsibility low.  It sounds like an entry level position but when you are fully qualified it is more like a journeyman position.  Hope that helps.

shayne

« Reply #86 on: Feb 03, 2005, 03:38 »
The money is great and resonsibility low.

This is the reason many NLOs stay where they are.

Should I seriously be looking for an entry-level job?  I don't want to sound conceited, I just don't know where to be looking or what to be looking for.  Who do I need to send my resume to (names & addresses)? [/left]

Company websites under careers or jobs is a start.  Keep your eyes open here, I have seen job information posted in the forums.  Like stated on this thread, NLO is entry point, but not entry level.  I have found that most nuclear plants would rather pay to license their own NLO before taking someone off the street.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2005, 03:44 by Shayne »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
« Reply #87 on: Feb 03, 2005, 11:22 »

This is the reason many NLOs stay where they are.

Company websites under careers or jobs is a start.  Keep your eyes open here, I have seen job information posted in the forums.  Like stated on this thread, NLO is entry point, but not entry level.  I have found that most nuclear plants would rather pay to license their own NLO before taking someone off the street.

Well said Shayne.  It's usually easier to license someone who knows the systems of a particular plant through experience than to bring in a Licensed RO from another plant.  I only speak from my own  limited experience.  That can also be the advantage to having a Union contract at a site.  By setting Lines of Promotion Non-Licensed Operators are given the chance at a Reactor Operator position by seniority.  At Callaway RO's are members of the bargaining unit. 

-Bertrand Russell

shayne

« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2005, 01:15 »

It's usually easier to license someone who knows the systems of a particular plant through experience than to bring in a Licensed RO from another plant. 

Not to forget that management knows what kind of person they are placing into an RO position.

At Callaway RO's are members of the bargaining unit.

Our RO's are not covered by the same Union contract as the NLO.  So advancement to an RO position may come sooner than later if that is what you desire (Senority not a factor).  But on the other end, the benefits of being in the Union may outweigh the opportunity.  I have seen some NLO's that would like to move to an RO position and when given the opportunity they do not because they wish to stay in a union position because of the benefits.  Depends on the individual needs and wants.

CL

Thanks for all the input...  Well.. The job is "Control Technician"  I look at the PDF file on their website.  If I got the job, I have to first go through training, then they assign us into groups...  I may ended up in IT may be not...  Which I not really care... the IT field is dead, that is why I wanted to move on to other field of work.

I put my applaction at the end of December @ OPG website, I heard nothing yet!  And for some reason in mid February, OPG posted that same job again!!  I really hope I can get in.. but by the looks of it...  :'(

xxxsessive

So many ?'s getting started
« Reply #90 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:10 »
I just completed the RCT Core in Oak Ridge and was wondering what comes next. I have some college but no degree. What other training can I obtain and work a 40 hr.+ a week job?  What are good entry level jobs to shoot for, who are the players in town that I can inundate with resumes and bug the whiz out of? I don't mind travelling a bit on short term work to gain experience.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
Re: So many ?'s getting started
« Reply #91 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:18 »
The first thing I'd suggest is what I'd suggest to anyone just getting started in this business and on this site.  Look through the Career forums on Nukeworker that interest you as many of your questions may have already been answered or at least partially answered.  You've come to the right place to find out what you'll need to get started and to keep improving that's for certain.

Welcome to Nukeworker!!

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #92 on: Feb 18, 2005, 03:41 »
Call Kelly Services, they need RCT's

xxxsessive

« Reply #93 on: Feb 23, 2005, 01:58 »
Well I have hit Kelly, Denuke, Aerotek with resumes and will get SEC. It seems like everybody is waiting for the federal budget to see what they need. Any other companies pop into mind that would be worth paying a visit to. Who is the person at Kelly that can get things done, the receptionist was the only one there.

Dr. Evil

Nuclear Power Chemistry Contacts
« Reply #94 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:17 »
I was wondering how many Nukeworker members out there are
Radiochemistry/Nuclear Chemistry Technicians. I'm looking for a house position somewhere and would like to get some insider contacts. I have experience in nuclear power as a chem tech. 

Dr. E

Offline Eightmile

• Light User
  • Walk like a penguin!
Re: Job Search Strategy
« Reply #95 on: Oct 12, 2005, 04:47 »
Not to breathe life into an older thread, but this is some good information (I wish I'd known this was here way back when my brother was "searching" for a job by planting his butt on my couch, but oh well...)

Now, for a question somewhat related to job searching - I'm trying to rewrite my resume as an HP in the nuke industry, but I'm having some minor problems.  I'm used to adding "fluff and stuff" to it for office work (5 years as an admin assistant, where getting a job is solely dependent sometimes on how creatively you can describe "type, copy, transcribe" haha) but after slightly more than 2 years as a junior/senior at a non-operating facility, I know that fluff isn't quite what these places need.

Knowing that going to an operating facility will put me back into the realm of juniors (not such a bad thing, that one...) I'm trying to figure out how to put just the facts into the resume - meter quals, daily/routine surveys, etc., etc.  I've gotten some decent advice from one of my co-workers with nearly 20 yrs experience, but I'm also looking for some contrasting points of view.  What should/should not go on this resume?  How detailed should I be?  Should there be any fluff what-so-ever?

I recently took the NUF, and passed with an 84%, so I know that should go on there someplace... but what else?  Any help would be much appreciated!
It is a well-known fact that although the public is fine
when taken individually, when it forms itself into large
groups, it tends to act as though it has one partially
consumed Pez tablet for a brain.

BlackOmen

A Question
« Reply #96 on: Jan 04, 2006, 06:29 »
Hello Nukeworker.com, I had a question (or a few), assuming (rightfully so) that you guys are quite knowledgeable on the nuclear mining trade.
For education-related research, I am required to find out the following:
What types of jobs are available in the Uranium Mining Industry?
I need some detail on four different (preferably dominant) jobs, and what skills and what type of education one would need to qualify for these jobs?  Where would someone obtain these skills and this education?  As well, what would a general idea of salary be?
Finally, out of interest, I would like to know how uranium workers in "far-out" areas live, more specifically where.
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Jan 10, 2006, 12:28 by Rennhack »

alphadude

Re: A Question
« Reply #97 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:08 »
Few to none. The bottom dropped out of the market a decade or more ago. Lots if not most of the U now comes from phosphate mining. Its a waste product of that industry and they have lots of it. Some of those waste piles at phosphate mines are in the mRems/hour and 100 mR hot spots can be found, along with H3PO4.  There are rumors that New Mexico wants to open another U mine but I havent heard much on that lately. Mining skills? read, write, keep your head down and have a spare set of lungs. I guess Canada still mines as well as lots of foreign contries.  I'm out west now and U is easy to find when rock hunting. Some of the outcrops are yellow as gold.  No one has an interest in it much.

alphadude

« Reply #98 on: Jan 10, 2006, 09:14 »
In general, heavy equipment ops, explosive ops, and mine eng.

labor not a lot of skills there other than training on loading equipment and safety equipment. The pay comes from the risk, which open pit mining has reduced. Canada has a viable mining system, third world mining is sporatic at best with the exception of those with ambitions to do something wicked.  the skill set is the same as any hard rock mining operation. dig the yellow stuff, not the black stuff (coal) See the other posting. the phosphate industry produces lots of waste U.

TWillis

« Reply #99 on: Jan 10, 2006, 06:25 »
Just my two cents.  As someone who got into this business through the mining/milling industry, and miss it by the way, I do follow the the uranium mining business.  There has been an up turn in the business over the past year and a half.

As stated above the market for "yellow cake" crashed in 1983 for many reasons, over production, reduced futures market, and not in small part, due to an individual who tried to corner the market.  This attempt was not disimilar to the Hunt brothers attempt to corner the Silver market, which still has not recovered.

Reduction of stockpiled reserves through use and a vastly reduced supply of newly mined/milled in the period since 1983, is now driving the price for 'yellow cake" to levels not seen since 1983.  From 1983 until October of 2004 the market price was fairly stable in the $10 - $12 per pound range, the spot price today is $36.25.  This is an economically viable price even for underground mining operation here in the US.  Friends of mine, geologists, with uranium exploration/production experience are turning down job offers, definately something not seen since 1983.

Perfecting of solution mining methods has become one of the more preferred methods for lower content ores.  These operations due not require many personnel to operate.  But with prices at these levels more than a few of the labor heavy undergound operation have applied for license renewal and some mining companies are concidering the viability of new mines.  The majority of these operation are located in the intermountain west, i.e. Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming.

At this point there are only two (2) operating mills, that I know of, in the US.  One in Canon City, Colorado and one in Blanding, Utah, although I know that my former haunt, Shootering Canyon, Utah has applied to re-open and intends to be operational this year, 2006.

Probably more than what you wanted to know, without answering the original question.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?