Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu neutron honeypot

Author Topic: neutron  (Read 6769 times)

mostlyharmless

neutron
« on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:07 »
How do you predict neutron rate from a neutron point source?  Since neutrons behave differently than gamma, the inverse square law should not apply in the same way. Given a rate at a distance,how do you predict a rate at another distance?

Motown homey

Re: neutron
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2010, 08:22 »
Hopefully, this will explain it: http://www.hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q6847.html.  It only actually works for the Ra-Be source, but explains enough about where the numbers come from and how they work that you should be able to figure out your dose rate.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2010, 09:26 »
The point source equations are based on geometry and not interactions.  IN vacuum both gamma and neutrons dose rates would fall off at same rate.  Air, of course, does act as a shield for both.  Over relatively short distances it will be not be an issue.  Use the normal point source equation 
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

mostlyharmless

« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:55 »
Sorry about the delay. This came up for me because we had a good sized Cf source to deal with recently. When given the numbers the point source equation was referenced. My first reaction was that the point source would underestimate the rate for neutron, my logic that neutron emissions fall off at a slower rate than do gammas. At very close distances, less that a foot or two, it was irrelevant,the rate was very high. But I began to think about distances in the range of fifeteen or twenty feet. The controls for the source should never allow it to be unshielded for enough length of time as to be a hazard so this is really just a what if practice. But you never know. Anyway I got to thinking about how the point source equation applies to similar curie and Mev gamma vs neutron sources, how the equation applies to gammas of different Mevs  and how it applies to neutrons of different Mevs. Mixed sources get complicated as the above post indicates. I will do a bit more research. Thank you for your replies. I know that almost anything I ask will receive a reasonable answer from someone on this site. Almost anything. Well sometimes its reasonable.

Offline Protectologist

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2010, 10:52 »
I was under the impression that dose rates changed over distance because of the spherical geometry. The "surface" of the sphere was larger as you moved away and smaller as you got closer resulting in a dispersal or concentration of dose over that surface.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?