Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21 SRB Question

Author Topic: STA-21 SRB Question  (Read 10466 times)

cweaver8518

STA-21 SRB Question
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:26 »
So I've looked via google and this website, and found no answer. I applied for STA-21 this year, and I'm about 99% sure my package will get denied, unless the board is desperate and ignores the lack of completion of the package and/or the fact that the program I applied for I'm not allowed into because of where I'm stationed.

So anyway, my question is this: Do I still receive my Star Reenlistment Bonus installment in October, or do I have to wait until December results are announced before I get my installment?

Honestly I couldn't even find on any NAVADMINs anything that said that my installment would be withheld at all, but I remember hearing about STA-21 holding up installments "while you are in the program," according to my old CCC. Which he interpreted to mean if you applied, your installment is held until it is official that you are NOT in the program.

Any insight into this or personal experience? Let me know.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: STA-21 SRB Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:30 »
From OPNAVINST 1160.8A, SRB Program (look at paragraph 5):

"b. Officer Procurement Programs
 (1) Members who reenlisted/executed an extension for SRB prior to applying for an officer procurement program requiring formal academic training, will have remaining installments suspended as of their class convening date.
(2) Members who are dropped from the program and return to enlisted status in the same bonus skill, will receive the remaining installments but at a rate reduced by the number of days spent in the program as described in and paragraph 090202C of reference (d) .
(3) Requests for advance or remaining amount payments
are not authorized for members selected to participate in any officer procurement program. Remaining SRB installments are forfeited for members appointed to commissioned officer status. Advance and remaining amount payments are discussed in paragraph 15.
(4) Members who reenlist/extend to obtain sufficient OBLISERV for an officer program are not entitled to SRB.
(5) SRB entitlement for eligible members, who reenlist/ extend after applying for an officer program, will be suspended pending selection results. SRB is authorized for applicants who are either not selected, chosen as alternates, or withdraw their application for an officer program. SRB is not authorized for members selected for participation in an officer program."

If you're going to be an officer, I recommend you expand your search for source documents beyond Google and nukeworker.com.  It took me about 5 minutes to find it via the NPC website.  Good luck!
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

cweaver8518

« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 06:11 »
Thanks for the reply! Oddly enough I found that source document but wasn't able to correctly interpret the wording.

The way I interpret that is: If I Reenlisted before applying, I still get installments up until class convening date. This is the case, since I reenlisted in 2008, meaning before I applied this year :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks for the help

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 07:17 »
I think you are incorrect.  Any SRB payments are withheld until the results come out.  This prevents you from being overpaid SRB, money you'd have to pay back.  To be sure have your CCC contact the expert (from the SRB message):

For technical questions or clarifications, CCCs, not the individual sailors, are encouraged to Contact NAVPERSCOM (PERS-811d) at (901) 874-2526/DSN 882, fax (901) 874-2623/DSN 882 or e-mail EMCM(SS)) Irish at douglas.b.irish(at)navy.mil or Mr. Frank Palomo at francisco.palomo(at)navy.mil.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 09:19 »
Once you officer package is out of your command, your SRB installments are stopped until the results are released. The same applies to any orders you might have, they are also put on hold/cancelled. A friend of mine just went through this with OCS.

haverty

« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:03 »
you will still get your SRB installment. Also, all my friends who went to STA-21 did not have to pay back any SRB. 

But if you want to hear the "official word" then follow Murray's advice.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?