Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Large Components honeypot

Author Topic: Large Components  (Read 17371 times)

DNDintern

Large Components
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:12 »
Good Morning everyone,
I would like to know about projects that reported the disposal of large components procedure. The dimensions of the large components are relative to the disposal site chosen (to disposed the large component). So at this point, anything consider large component will be good for me.

So far the reports I have found are about pressure vessels that are disposed in site, but with little detail about the process of disposal.

Thank you for your help.

« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 07:08 by Rennhack »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Disposal of Large Components
« Reply #1 on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:35 »
Good Morning everyone,
I would like to know about projects that reported the disposal of large components procedure. The dimensions of the large components are relative to the disposal site chosen (to disposed the large component). So at this point, anything consider large component will be good for me.

So far the reports I have found are about pressure vessels that are disposed in site, but with little detail about the process of disposal.

Thank you for your help.

Start with the landfills, they can help guide you through it. If your component is large enough early contact is a good idea as some components require stabilization (concrete pad) of the cell prior to receipt. Early contact with a transportation company would also be a good idea. Best not to reinvent the wheel, there are experts who want your business out there. Is this for commercial, DOE or Army Corp. that could make a difference.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Aug 18, 2010, 11:01 »
we shipped 2 RX heads off for disposal.  By anyones standards they qualified as large components.  Send me IM and I'll give you contacts that might can help
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

t_tarbox

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18, 2010, 12:57 »
Good Morning everyone,

Thank you for your help.

I can help.

Check your email listed in your profile.
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2010, 12:58 by T Tarbox »

mostlyharmless

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2010, 01:55 »
Lots of large objects,reactor vessels,steam generators etc. end up in Barnwell,S.C. If you need additional info beyond what tarbox provides I can give you contacts for the Barnwell site.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Large Components
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 12:25 »
Energy solutions in washington can also take steam generators as far as disposal in site perhaps you are referring to on site storage which some plants have opted for as opposed to paying for burial

sf

DNDintern

« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:27 »
Thank you everyone for all your help and guidance. I am currently working on the flow path of decisions for DOE but I have to develop a commercial one as well. My work is more in the line of research so I need background to all of this. (This is way I ask for the name to start and go from there.)

But to be a bit more specific. I am interested in knowing the process of large components that are so large that they can not be place inside containers. And in this cases what does the contractor opts to do, transported to a disposal site or trasported to the in-site disposal site. I would appriciate names and reports that would take me there.

t_tarbox

« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2010, 06:58 »
DNDIntern,

For Large Components too large for shipping containers...

Try researching "DOT Special Permits".

Since it is a Federal agency, you may be able to request information under FOIA that will provide you with a level of detail of information you're seeking.

Best regards,

Tim

twinturbo427

« Reply #8 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:02 »
This has to be a setup, look at DNDintern's email address.    Then there are the consistency issues with syntax and grammar errors.  -K

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 20, 2010, 12:33 »
Ummmm, let's see, the IP comes back as Washington, D.C. area.  Yep, y'all are probably right.  Fire up the black helicopters!    :P
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Aug 20, 2010, 01:40 »
Assuming it isn't run through an anonymiser or being TELNETed in  [Flamer]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2010, 02:52 »
   I'm not entirely sure but I think this is our poster... this is probably an honest request for information. What could it hurt to point him in the right direction? He is only asking for what is public information that he can get by calling any landfill or transportation company who would probably give it gladly (salesmen).

About me: I am getting a degree in Mechanical Engineering, and also a research asistant. I like my kinematics, but I as a researcher is in my genes, making and looking for new ways of getting results. My hobby is to breed anything that is breedable, right now I am into the betta, and this is so far the hardest for me. Here is my blog page, where I talk about my experiences and you will get to see time passes more and more rare bettas. http://holygsroom.blogspot.com/... Let me know what you think of the page in a comment. I am also taking advice from who ever has breed before.

The blog is a dead link from a few years ago.

DNDintern if you are looking for a single answer you may not find it as landfill licences vary and in addtion to DOT regulations each state has its own transportation regulations not mention that large components can and are transported by waterway (barge). To gray the matter even more, specialty conveyances are done by special license that applies only to that one movement.

Good luck

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2010, 04:28 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUMINT

Check out the section on "Social networks"

others have been asked more specific questions.

my vote is low-tech intel op.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 20, 2010, 05:22 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HUMINT

Check out the section on "Social networks"

others have been asked more specific questions.

my vote is low-tech intel op.

There is a lot of validity in the concern for OpSec but in this case I do not share your concern. Your Icon of all the Chinese operatives could just a easily be Arabic or North Korean or even Israeli but hiding in a cave because of them also gives them a victory. Anyone with national or commercial access to classified information can be a target, awareness of this is most important. Even talking about what seems to be unclassified can provide information that leads to real classified material so I tend to not talk about work whether its financial, proprietary or other information that a company or institution is guarding.

DNDintern

« Reply #14 on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:59 »
Wow, I am sorry for any flags I might have raised. I will definitely ask my supervisor if what I ask is wrong. I am sorry I was not looking for any classified information, and as far as fishing for emails, I am not aware what that is. Again I apologize for all of those that might have felt uncomfortable.

I just wanted to know more about the commercial side of the disposal of large components. I was looking for papers and presentations like the ones given in waste management (in that conference is where I heard about NukeWork).

As for the individual who mention my grammar errors. I am sorry as you expected yes, english is my second language. There is no reason to hide that.

A little about me: I am an alumni, just graduated, from Florida International University in mechanical engineering, and interning in DOE HQ.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #15 on: Aug 20, 2010, 08:12 »
What you are asking and that you are asking is fine. But you can find a lot of information on line through DOE and NRC web sites. Look at the code of federal regulations. Each large item shipment is unique. As stated previously contact  the vendors, but as each large item shipment is unique it is difficult to be generic.

Offline MeterSwangin

• Moderate User
  • Somebody get decon!
« Reply #16 on: Aug 20, 2010, 09:22 »
Nice recovery,...

I am been learning much about radwaste.  Anybody can help me about blending Class A on Type B? 

If you please to send data include SSN and picture of blonde U.S. daughter.  I will hurry rush Uzbeki lottery winnings in return.

t_tarbox

« Reply #17 on: Aug 21, 2010, 02:52 »
I was able to confirm his affiliation with the University today.

DNDintern

« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2010, 01:53 »
Thank you TTarbox, but I don’t think I will be asking for help in what I thought was a professional forum. I want to thank all of those who didn’t ridicule my English, and where very helpful, all the guidance you gave me was very useful.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2010, 03:35 »
Thank you TTarbox, but I don’t think I will be asking for help in what I thought was a professional forum. I want to thank all of those who didn’t ridicule my English, and where very helpful, all the guidance you gave me was very useful.

This is very diverse forum from entry level to many years of experience, Blue collar to management. It does take a bit of a thick skin to endure some of the curmugeons on this site, but if you can remember that you are looking to drain the swamp while up to your "waist"  :) in alligators the site can be useful.

Good luck

twinturbo427

« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2010, 10:03 »
cur·mudg·eon/kərˈməjən/
Noun: A bad-tempered or surly person.  ----there just might be a few here  ::) ::) ::)

"Grammar is one tricky thing to master, and the truth is it can never be fully conquered, even by the greatest grammarians. Small mistakes can alter people's opinions about your intelligence, work ethic or attention to detail, whether or not it's actually a fair assessment of your skills."

Read more at Suite101: Sentence Structure Errors: Common Syntax Mistakes -- Quotes, Apostrophes, & Parallelism http://copyediting-grammar-style.suite101.com/article.cfm/sentence_structure_errors#ixzz0xU6DlwZo

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=ie7&q=disposal+of+large+components+procedure&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-ContextMenu&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7ACGW_enUS384US384

Whooda thunk to google it and lookie here, the DOE already had the answer available in public information!
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2010, 11:22 by twinturbo427 »

t_tarbox

« Reply #21 on: Aug 24, 2010, 01:59 »
Only those that tried to help him would understand the information he is seeking is not available via Google.

Turns out Google is not the preferred source for scholarly research.

DNDintern

« Reply #22 on: Aug 25, 2010, 08:16 »
Thank you. I guess I can understand that there is all kind of people in a open forum. 
T Tarbox is right about the google research. But is OK, with the small guidance I received I might be able to develop something.

P.S. twinturbo427 thanks for the definition.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2010, 01:13 »

If you ever have any large components that you need to get rid of, please contact me. I will be partnering with my colleague and we will be opening a new facility next to Perry in the next few months. We would be glad to give you a quote.

« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2010, 02:49 by Nuclear NASCAR »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?