Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RCRA facility out my back door...

Author Topic: RCRA facility out my back door...  (Read 8340 times)

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
RCRA facility out my back door...
« on: Jun 10, 2008, 03:12 »
Okay, I trust you guys and would like some feedback on this topic. EnergySolutions is applying for a RCRA permit to store and treat mixed waste at a new facility which will be located 686 yards from my home.

I have several concerns and questions that I will be addressing at the public meeting but I would like for you to help me decide if these questions are legit or what else I may need to ask.

1. What elements, metals or other hazardous materials will be handled?
2. What is the travel route of the trucks?
3.What facilities or types of facilities will this material be coming from?
4.What dangers/risks does the community face?
5. Will the treatment of these materials affect our air quality? Will there be any strong smells associated with the treatment of these materials.

I am sure that most of you know the process of treating mixed waste but here are the processes they plan to use: stabilization (chemical fixaton including neutralization, chemical reduction, chemical oxidation and deactivation), solidificaton, amalgamation, macroencapsulation and spray washing. Waste will also be sorted, segregated, packaged, re-packaged, prepared for shiipment and transported out.

Thanks, any feedback will be appreciated.

Camella

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
Re: RCRA facility out my back door...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2008, 06:25 »
Okay, I trust you guys and would like some feedback on this topic. EnergySolutions is applying for a RCRA permit to store and treat mixed waste at a new facility which will be located 686 yards from my home.

I have several concerns and questions that I will be addressing at the public meeting but I would like for you to help me decide if these questions are legit or what else I may need to ask.

1. What elements, metals or other hazardous materials will be handled?
2. What is the travel route of the trucks?
3.What facilities or types of facilities will this material be coming from?
4.What dangers/risks does the community face?
5. Will the treatment of these materials affect our air quality? Will there be any strong smells associated with the treatment of these materials.

I am sure that most of you know the process of treating mixed waste but here are the processes they plan to use: stabilization (chemical fixaton including neutralization, chemical reduction, chemical oxidation and deactivation), solidificaton, amalgamation, macroencapsulation and spray washing. Waste will also be sorted, segregated, packaged, re-packaged, prepared for shiipment and transported out.

Thanks, any feedback will be appreciated.

Camella

Go to www.energysolutions.com and look around then hit the customer tab and hit the Waste Acceptance Criteria for Clive Bulk and Treatment facility Good info there. I have been around the Mixed Waste facility and the only smell I noticed was from the truck drivers delivering. All shipments will be made IAW DOT standards and we haven't kilt nobody with RAM yet. The community may suffer from increased income but many refuse because they are scared of the unknown. Doesn't matter where the stuff comes from does it? All mixed radioactive hazardous waste will be accepted except as restricted by the WAC, so take a look at that. All the treatment options you listed are described in the WAC. Ask them to take a bunch of concerned citizens on a road trip to Clive and see for yourself. Then hit SLC and Park City for some entertainment.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2008, 10:25 »
Phurst, thanks for the information. I have looked around E.S.'s website a little but will look again. I have no problem with them as they have been good neighbors so far, but working at a facility and having one at your back door is a little different, at least it is to me.

I was curious as to where the materials were coming but your'e correct it doesn't matter. I am more interested in the travel route as we live on Moore Drive which is also Hwy 54 and we get a lot of truck traffic going to and from a couple of other sites AND NOBODY obeys the 30 mph speed zone. With Dorie being legally blind and having sensory issues it sometimes makes it hard to play in the yard.

I asked about odor as I did not know if any of the process would be using odorous materials such as plastic or paint that we would be able to smell. I have terrible allergies and its bad enough living less than 1/2 mile from SRS when they do control burns. LOL

Thanks, again Camella

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Jun 11, 2008, 09:39 »
Marsim, thanks so very much. This helps me a great deal. You are correct about ES having the property, in fact there is already an alternate road that they put in several years ago but have not put to use. All it needs is to be paved.

This was one of my major concerns aside from the safety of our health. I'm not afraid of mixed waste, I just respect it a great deal; after all my husband has been to several sites to clean up someone else's mess. We also have a history here with the old Carolina Metals facility (it is still being handled by the EPA).

I thank you for your input.

Camella

Offline Phurst

• NRRPT-HPT
  • Very Heavy User
  • One in a row!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2008, 10:18 »
in fact there is already an alternate road that they put in several years ago but have not put to use. All it needs is to be paved.

Camella
Their site in Utah was dirt/clay roads for 10-15 years till it was sold to the current owners. They came in and paved everything and made several millions in improvements and that's to a place that is 50 miles from the nearest inhabitant. I would surely hope they would do the same for you. Do what Marssim says and get involved. I am sure ES wants to be good neighbors as this is an awesome opportunity for them.
Today is the best day of my life! HSIITBS!

'For the quality of owning freezes you forever into "I" and cuts you off forever from the "we". - Steinbeck

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2008, 11:21 »
I worked at Clive for a few weeks, many years ago.  While there, I suported their RCRA processing facility.  There were no noticable smells outside the building.  They used lie to neutralize some materials, and encapsulated others in plastic.  The only issues I noted was their struggle to keep dust down in the desert.  They had trucks running almost 24/7 spraying the site down (not the RCRA side, but the rest of the site).

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Apr 12, 2010, 02:18 »
They had trucks running almost 24/7 spraying the site down (not the RCRA side, but the rest of the site).

wonder if  that was with PCB contaminated minerial oil  ??? ;D

sorry couldn't resist

sf

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?