Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Need Advice on Learning.
honeypot

Author Topic: Need Advice on Learning.  (Read 3760 times)

lzap

Need Advice on Learning.
« on: Aug 19, 2010, 05:40 »
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I  want to get into the nuclear plants here in New Jersey. I have passed the Plant Operator and Mechanical Operator portions of the POSS/Mass, however I can't seem to pass the technical part, I therefor couldn't get an interview for the "Shift Nuclear Technician Controls" position that I just tested for. I got into the fossil plant in Mercer NJ and I hated it, the environment was so extremely hot and suppressing. I was directed to look at Nuclear. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me what books I should be reading, classed I should be taking, certifications I should be going for etc (and how I should go about getting them),... I have almost no power plant experience. I worked at a chemical plant and I was a control room operator. Can anyone also tell me what the entry level positions are at nuclear plants,.. is it an Operator, or is there something else I should be applying for? If anyone can please offer me some direction so that i can learn as much as I can so that I can be ready for applying for these positions, I would be grateful. I would also like to know about the work environment of these positions, for instance, is it 140 plus degrees in these work environments like it is in fossil? I have no problem wearing excessive amount of PPE so that doesn't bother me, I am just not as physically fit as I used to be after working in a control room for the past few years. I want to get physically ready for these positions also. Any help to get me ready would be appreciated.
Thank you so much to whoever helps me.

Liz

MacGyver

Re: Need Advice on Learning.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:24 »
I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I  want to get into the nuclear plants here in New Jersey. I have passed the Plant Operator and Mechanical Operator portions of the POSS/Mass, however I can't seem to pass the technical part, I therefor couldn't get an interview for the "Shift Nuclear Technician Controls" position that I just tested for. I got into the fossil plant in Mercer NJ and I hated it, the environment was so extremely hot and suppressing. I was directed to look at Nuclear. So I am wondering if anyone can tell me what books I should be reading, classed I should be taking, certifications I should be going for etc (and how I should go about getting them),... I have almost no power plant experience. I worked at a chemical plant and I was a control room operator. Can anyone also tell me what the entry level positions are at nuclear plants,.. is it an Operator, or is there something else I should be applying for? If anyone can please offer me some direction so that i can learn as much as I can so that I can be ready for applying for these positions, I would be grateful. I would also like to know about the work environment of these positions, for instance, is it 140 plus degrees in these work environments like it is in fossil? I have no problem wearing excessive amount of PPE so that doesn't bother me, I am just not as physically fit as I used to be after working in a control room for the past few years. I want to get physically ready for these positions also. Any help to get me ready would be appreciated.
Thank you so much to whoever helps me.

Liz

Liz,

First
I&C (Instruments and Controls) is a hard job to get most places.  Most plants require a certain score on the EEI TECH test to interview (and I am assuming that is the test you didn't do well on; unless it was an internal test).  But, not all.  I am not sure I can help you over the internet with the study.  Maybe someone else can do that for you.

Second
Entry level at a Nuclear Plant varies with the discipline you wish to attain.  The main paths in Nuclear are Operations, Maintenance and other skilled trades (Health Physics / Chemistry / Warehouse(wo)men / etc.).

One other path as a truly entry level position is a Nuclear Technician.  It is a position like a Striker (a Navy term for someone who wants start at the bottom and see what all the jobs do first) on a Naval Vessel.  At some point you would then bid for one of the above positions when they have an opening and you meet the requirements for the job.

Third
I recommend you look at the individual Plants you would like to work at and try to find an entry level position from off the street in Chemistry or Operations if you so desire.  You might like it and you might not.  You could then move around when positions open.

Fourth
140 degrees?  Since I have never worked a Coal Fired / Fossil / Dirt Burner I can only take you at your word.  In the Nuclear world that would be hot too.  And, you would have very short stay times if you so encountered such an animal.  Not that I am saying it would.  Consider that we do work at a STEAM PLANT just like a Fossil is a steam plant.  It does so happen we love to cool the equipment as best possible with Air Conditioning.  Your comfort may vary.

Fifth
Soft living (and age) effect and affect us all.  Try to lose as much weight as you can especially if you desire Operations as an Auxiliary Unit Operator (Steam Plant Operator).

Oh yeah, when you do get an interview remember you're entry level at any position in Nuclear (regarding your current condition).  Therefore be humble and be willing to start (happily) at the bottom.

Got Duck Tape?
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 08:27 by MacGyver »

lzap

« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2010, 12:07 »
MAcGyver,

Thank you so much for your help on these subjects.

I took the EEI POSS/MASS test. My test results are listed in 3 areas. Plant Operator, Mechanical Operator and Technical Controls. I took the test with PSEG and this is there system, with these scores I am eligible for any position that doesn't require passing the technical portion. I believe the Technical portion could be the "TECH" test but they don't list it as such.

I would like to try for Operations, Maintenance or Warhorse, those are areas I have experience in and I passed the test for.

I am looking at the Salem Plant. I am just waiting for positions to open up that I can apply for.

It was 140 degrees at the bottom of the boilers (elevation 88) when I was working the ash tanks, so humid the ceilings were dripping and it was during a heat wave. Other elevations weren't as hot, The turbine deck was probably 105-110. It just so happens that I had to be in the hottest most humid parts during the heat wave.

I am certainly working on getting fit again, I didn't realize the animal I was dealing with when I took the position (nothing like a chemical plant), now that I know, i am getting ready so that I can succeed in my next position.

I will certainly be humble and happy with any entry level offer.

Thank you for your advice.

P.S. I love the reference to Duck Tape, I used to put it all over the bottom of my feet so that I didn't get blisters when I worked in the plant.

Liz

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2010, 12:57 »

I would like to try for Operations, Maintenance or Warhorse, those are areas I have experience in and I passed the test for.

I have certainly met people in this industry I would refer to as a Warhorse... but I did not know until today that it was a job position!

Welcome to Nukeworker.com  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2010, 12:59 by RDTroja »
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

lzap

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2010, 06:33 »
lol my bad,.... now I know i have to be extra careful of those typos.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?