Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu getting copies of service record honeypot

Author Topic: getting copies of service record  (Read 7686 times)

haverty

getting copies of service record
« on: Aug 19, 2010, 06:03 »
I went to the personnel office on base yesterday to fill out travel voucher and dity move stuff, only to have them say they dont do that there. The lady there had taken my sep orders and dd214, and started talking to me about where I needed to go and who i need to talk to. In my frustraion I forgot to grab my records.  If they threw them away, how can I get copies of those documents again? I really dont want to hear how I "need to be more responsible" or how I should have made copies. I know, Im beating myelf up for it, just really need help asap please.

Can I access my ESR from a home computer???

EDIT: I found companies that charge 10-120$ for copies of my dd214, that doesnt seem right :(.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 06:05 by haverty »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: getting copies of service record
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2010, 07:18 »
Something similar happened to me.

Last year my vehicle was burglarized. Among the things stolen was a backpack full of important documents, including my member copies of my DD-214.

I sent a FREE request for my military records from the national archives.
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/dd-214.html

Several weeks later, I received a CD with my electronic service record in PDF format.  The PDF was encrypted with a password based on my name, birthdate, and SSN.

The only difference between your originals and the replacements are:
- The words "OFFICIAL SERVICE COPY" will be superimposed on all documents
- Your DD-214 will say the words "Service-7" instead of "Member-4" in the bottom right corner.

Otherwise it is identical.  I've used these copies several times since then and have had no problems.
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2010, 07:19 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

haverty

« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2010, 07:52 »
PHEW!... thank god. They were in my sun visor in my car... I immediately made many many copies and stashed them away :D 

HOWEVER, that electronic service records thing sounds like it will come in handy to me, I will get on that. Thank you very much.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2010, 01:07 »
Also, it's usually the personal property office that deals with DITY move stuff, not the personnel office.

haverty

« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2010, 12:07 »
Also, it's usually the personal property office that deals with DITY move stuff, not the personnel office.

haha yeah, I was generalizing. I drove down to Great Lakes today (ugh) to fill out mine and my wifes travel vouchers, and I needed a copy of my page 2 for dependent verification... Guess what I don't have. :(   Any way to get THAT?

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2010, 03:18 »
PSD? Im not familiar with Glakes..
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

haverty

« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2010, 07:20 »
PSD? Im not familiar with Glakes..

PSD wouldn't have a copy of my service record unfortunately. Wonder if I can hit a VA around here. Would they have it?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2010, 08:45 »
Doubtful, especially since the navy's going to electronic service records. You might still be able to order your CD through BOL.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?