Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Interview Styles honeypot

Author Topic: Interview Styles  (Read 6002 times)

haverty

Interview Styles
« on: Aug 21, 2010, 12:16 »
1) Can someone clue me in to how companies do NLO interviews? Are there multiple boards, panel boards, etc?
2) How aggressive should I appear to want to pursue a license ASAP? (I do, I'd take the next class if they let me).
3) WHAT DO I WEAR?  :o  I understand the "dress-the-next-best-step" rule, I was thinking business casual with a tie?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give me.

Offline shipoffools

• Light User
Re: Interview Styles
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2010, 09:44 »
I just completed an interview a couple weeks ago - consisted of one panel of 5 people.  Reps included folks from HR, Ops and Training.  I wore dress pants, white shirt and tie.  They commented that you can always spot an interviewee by the tie, so apparently its pretty standard dress.  Don't think wearing a suit or sportcoat would hurt, but probably not necessary.  

As far as demonstrating ambition for getting into license class, I'd tread lightly.  There are many people on this board in position to give a more informed opinion than me, but since I was recently sitting in the interview chair, I'll throw in my  [2cents].  I went in with the mentality I'd try to be as good an NLO as possible, and when my performance indicates I'm ready for license class I'll be happy to go - that's what I tried to convey to the interview panel.  

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2010, 09:17 by shipoffools »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2010, 10:13 »
Knowing this guy a little bit, I can't imagine that he didn't use those lines in the interview.      

Yes....but did he have

-FANTASTIC evals

:)

flblasted

« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2010, 01:25 »
1) Can someone clue me in to how companies do NLO interviews? Are there multiple boards, panel boards, etc?
2) How aggressive should I appear to want to pursue a license ASAP? (I do, I'd take the next class if they let me).
3) WHAT DO I WEAR?  :o  I understand the "dress-the-next-best-step" rule, I was thinking business casual with a tie?

Thank you for any help/advice you can give me.

1)  When I interviewed (Entergy plant) they used the STAR interview method.  If you're not already familiar with it I'd recommend you Google it and spend a little time preparing for one.  It'll help you even if they don't use that method.

2)  Kind of like shipoffools said when I interviewed for NLO I told them my goal was ultimately to become a licensed operator when I had obtained the experience necessary as an NLO to help me achieve that goal. 

3) This is a legitimate question to ask HR where you are interviewing.  I didn't and when everyone else was interviewing in dress shirts and dockers, I was sitting there in a suit and tie looking like a goober.  Not that this hurt me or anything but I sure wished I'd asked HR what the expected attire was.

haverty

« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2010, 12:40 »
Meh had a 3 part interview. Came in sat down with 2 people, they both talked to me for like 20 minutes. Then they said some more people wanted to see me. 3 more guys came in, one was the training director for the plant, other was a lead tech, not sure who the 3rd guy was, he didnt even ask me any questions. We walked around the plant, he asked me a bunch of questions. Got back to the interview room, asked me a BUNCH of questions. Nothing outlandish. When it was finished, the guy asked me how many interviews I had done, I told him none. He said he was extremely impressed, and to do the same thing for future interviews. got a job offer the next week :)

Star method was great because I had usable real life examples of everything they asked for, which was nice.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?