News and Discussions > Rennhack's Blog

Site Suggestions

(1/22) > >>

Rennhack:
I'm looking for suggestions on how we can improve the site.  I'm interested in any random thoughts you have.  This is a brainstorming session, there are no bad ideas.

One thing I have considered is changing the "theme" of the site.  Removing the current look and feel, and replacing it with something a little more minimalist. (See attachment).  This is a little radical, as our 'look' is part of who we are.  We are all familiar with the blue theme I've created, and I know most of our users hate change.  One of the advantages of changing the 'look' would be to make the site load faster.  Compared to other sites on the internet, we are really slow, due to all of the 'stuff' we load to make the site look fancy.  -- do you like the way it looks?  Would you prefer something a little simpler like the attachment?

I've also considered having options for people to pick different templates, the classic look, or a new theme.

Understand that the image above is just a mock-up, I was just curious what the site would look like without all of the 'clutter'.
It doesn't mean that we are going to change anything.  I'm just looking around for ways we can improve the site.

sscone:
The home page looks great the way it is. Maybe you should though make it to where you don't have to scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Like take the left menus and make them drop down. And instead of the jobs and forum stuff, maybe daily news articles or an about nuke worker.

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: sscone on Aug 26, 2010, 12:35 ---The home page looks great the way it is. Maybe you should though make it to where you don't have to scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Like take the left menus and make them drop down. And instead of the jobs and forum stuff, maybe daily news articles or an about nuke worker.

--- End quote ---

I appreciate your feedback. 

One thing that can't be changed is the job feed and the message board feed on the home page.  Without them, the new user would not know where to find them.  We want to make things as easy as we can for the new folks.

The page scroll really depends on your screen resolution.  We have a lot of people using many different screen sizes.

Screen Resolutions   Percent Visitors

1024x768     44.97%     
 1280x1024    20.74%     
 800x600      19.45%     
 Other        9.81%     
 1152x864     3.46%     
 1600x1200    0.83%     
 640x480      0.72%

We don't have to worry about the 640x480 people, but the 800x600 and larger people we have to make sure the site looks good for them.

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: Marssim on Aug 26, 2010, 01:03 ---Move the nukeworker logo to the top center of the home page and make it more dominant as opposed to the advertisers.

On the first look it ofttimes appears that new user was directed to a rad or nuke services home page after hitting the google or yahoo link, etc.

I understand the advertisers pay for what they get, yet it does seem they get top billing as it were, and the "nukeworker.com" is an afterthought on the initial home page view (that first 3 to 5 seconds). Until and if the new user begins scrolling down and across the home page, it can take a moment before that user realizes this is the place he wanted to get to and not a billboard for vendors and services providers.
--- End quote ---

I think that's a great Idea.  You are 100% correct.  When SEC sponsored the site, people thought they owned it, and now that Bartlett sponsors the site, they think Bartlett owns it.  How can we blame them, the logo's are the same size and position.  Perhaps NukeWorker is only an advertiser.  I'll come up with something to put up there.

--- Quote from: Marssim on Aug 26, 2010, 01:03 ---The new mock up presented is way too washed out, the contemporary heavier blue theme provides a better contrast with less glare for the eyes to scan around on.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps we can come up with a simplified version, that uses the same colors.  The simpler we can make it, the easier it will be for Tarbox on his iPhone.

We currently use too many images, and too many tables for layout.  I need to get with the 90's and update the design.  We are using 15 year old technology... and apparently amputated monkeys could do a better job.  [stir]

walstib:

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Aug 26, 2010, 01:57 ---  We are using 15 year old technology... and apparently amputated monkeys could do a better job.  [stir]

--- End quote ---

Heh, heh ...Only underwater

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version