Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Site Suggestions honeypot

Author Topic: Site Suggestions  (Read 67835 times)

t_tarbox

Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:19 »
I like "A" and "C", but I don't care if you moved or changed them, as long as the info is available somewhere..

I really like the "C" spot as a quick reference to who is online..and it makes it easy to spot spambots, copy a link to their profile and send them to Nuclear NASCAR at all hours of the night [sos]

Hmmm... come to think of it..he may want "C" gone..lol
« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 07:41 by T Tarbox »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:05 »
I like C and A; pleade don't get rid of C.

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 01, 2010, 11:29 »
I like C, though I can also access it from the Who's online page or the Forum page.  A & B are handy but I wouldn't miss them.  Having seen your work over the years I've grown pretty trusting of your instincts.   [clap]
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #28 on: Sep 02, 2010, 02:00 »
Maybe have the extra info pop-up if you hover over the job.

The problem we have is that the full job title can't be displayed right now, because some other 'less important' information is being displayed.  I'm tryign to figure out how to display more of the important stuff.

If you are going to add a 'hover' info-block, I wouldn't mind seeing the area/site being staffed before I bothered opening the posting...
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Sep 02, 2010, 02:39 »
I like C, though I can also access it from the Who's online page or the Forum page.  A & B are handy but I wouldn't miss them.  Having seen your work over the years I've grown pretty trusting of your instincts.   [clap]

I'm thinking that I might MOVE the "C" stuff to the top of the page, in a horizontal fashion.  What do you think about that?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Sep 02, 2010, 02:56 »
If you are going to add a 'hover' info-block, I wouldn't mind seeing the area/site being staffed before I bothered opening the posting...

This is what is rolling around in the back of my head:

With the discovery that I can make the home page about 30% wider (1024 vs 800), I'm thinking about making some changes.  I'm considering adding a graphic for the jobs (company logo), and displaying 2 lines of info for each job. -- Maybe.  I have to actually make it, and look at it, and see what I think.

What I know for sure, is that I'm going to re-do the home page for sure, and make it 1020 pixels wide instead of 800, and I'm going to alter the truncation of the job categories, and job titles.  I don't know If I'll make any other changes, but I think we should.  We are over due.

First things first.  I have to get the forum software upgraded, and everything else working right.  But expect some changes, soon or later.

The reason I suggested some of the radical changes, is that we are going to redo the site, and its a good time to make the radical changes.

We use too many tables for structure.  That has to stop.  It slows the site down a lot.  I also need to tell the server to compress more stuff. I have a lot to do.  It will probably very slow and gradual, as I'm working 2 jobs at the moment.  But it will happen!

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #31 on: Sep 02, 2010, 03:49 »
I'm thinking that I might MOVE the "C" stuff to the top of the page, in a horizontal fashion.  What do you think about that?

I like that idea!  Removing or relocating A, B, & C would utilize what's turning into wasted space with the higher resolution.  As I said, I've learned to trust your instincts over the years because you're about 12 to 18 months ahead of the rest of us.  When I question it's usually through ignorance, but there's a cure for that.   :P
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #32 on: Sep 02, 2010, 05:28 »
Yes, there is; :P :P :P :P :P :P

have a good weekend   8)  we now return you to your usual Dr. Demento broadcast,...
You're definitely "different" Marssim.  Thanks for the smile!
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Sep 02, 2010, 08:33 »
have a good weekend   8)  we now return you to your usual Dr. Demento broadcast,...

I'm a big Dr Demento fan, and I have this album, It's "The Frantics".

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:42 »
It's been 2 years, and I never5 made any of the changes suggested.  I'd like to repoen this thread.

I AM going to make some changes this winter.  I AM going to make the site 1024 wide instead of the 800 on a lot of pages.  I AM going to make the nukeworker logo more promenent.  I AM going to make the job listing look better.

Reviewing the whole ABC thing, I think I mahy just movwe it to the right side of the screen, that way it is out of th eway for those with low resolution screens, and added bennifit for those with higher resolution screens.

Everyone please review this thread, skip the whole "ABC" thing, and think abotu cvhanges you'd liek to see to the home page.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2012, 09:30 »
Reviewing the whole ABC thing, I think I mahy just movwe it to the right side of the screen, that way it is out of th eway for those with low resolution screens, and added bennifit for those with higher resolution screens.

Everyone please review this thread, skip the whole "ABC" thing, and think abotu cvhanges you'd liek to see to the home page.

Automatic spell check.  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:20 »
Attached is a rough mockup incorporating a larger logo at the top, a wider screen, and 2 lines for jobs, one which has the location (as well as a small company logo).

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2012, 10:21 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #37 on: Nov 18, 2012, 03:34 »
No feedback?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #38 on: Nov 18, 2012, 06:42 »
I like it the way it  is now. But that's just me...

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #39 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:32 »
I too am happy with it.

Just my opinion I could be wrong  ::)
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #40 on: Nov 19, 2012, 09:56 »
I like the extra info on the Jobs listings. However, the super large print for the titles seems a bit much.

Chimera

« Reply #41 on: Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 »
Anytime you do something that is different, others will wonder why the change is necessary and evince the opinion that the old way was just fine.  This is the perfectly normal resistance to change that we all feel from time to time.  As one of those people who is old enough to be highly resistant to change, allow me to express the opinion that I like it.

Michael   ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Nov 19, 2012, 12:18 »
I like the extra info on the Jobs listings. However, the super large print for the titles seems a bit much.

I assume you meen the name of each job, like "Engineer: Associate Engineer", and not the word "JOBS".  If you mean the word "JOBS", please correct me.  The word "JOBS" and "NEWS" are not final, they are just fillers for the mockup.  I do want to change those area, but thats not what I want there.  If you mean the actual job titles for each job, please let me know.  They are 15 point font bold, vs 14 point fopnt unbold in that mockup.  Everything else on the page is also 14 point font in the mockup.

I appreciate the feedback.  Especially yours Chimera.  I am all too aware that people are resistant to change, and the older they are, the more resistant they are.  Thats one reason the opnly changes in that mockup were 1. The New "NukeWorker" title at the top, 2. a wider middle space, and then 2 changes to the jobs section, adding the logo, and a second line of location data.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: Nov 19, 2012, 03:43 »
I assume you meen the name of each job, like "Engineer: Associate Engineer", and not the word "JOBS".  If you mean the word "JOBS", please correct me.  The word "JOBS" and "NEWS" are not final, they are just fillers for the mockup.  I do want to change those area, but thats not what I want there.  If you mean the actual job titles for each job, please let me know.  They are 15 point font bold, vs 14 point fopnt unbold in that mockup.  Everything else on the page is also 14 point font in the mockup.

I appreciate the feedback.  Especially yours Chimera.  I am all too aware that people are resistant to change, and the older they are, the more resistant they are.  Thats one reason the opnly changes in that mockup were 1. The New "NukeWorker" title at the top, 2. a wider middle space, and then 2 changes to the jobs section, adding the logo, and a second line of location data.

I was referring to the words "JOBS" and "NEWS". I thought everything else was great.

I am probably younger than most that replied to this thread but I do get very frustrated when the grocery store moves everything around. Now I have to spend twice the time finding the three things I am looking for. So resistance to change isn't limited to the old farts. [2cents]

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #44 on: Nov 19, 2012, 05:08 »
On change I quote Morla who is allergic to youth;

"We don't even care wether or not we care"
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2012, 10:11 by Marlin »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #45 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:20 »
I think the location info is a great idea.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2012, 07:23 »
I think the location info is a great idea.

What do you think about the company logo's?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #47 on: Nov 19, 2012, 08:55 »
I like that too
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline wingnut

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #48 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:37 »
Go with the new format. Change is a good thing and it looks great to me. On top of it all I'm officially old.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:15 »
I'm going to go to a more 'square' layout instead of all of the curves we curently have.  This will allow the site to load a lot faster, and will allow more flexibility in future designs.

Attached is another mockup. What do you think?  I've been looking at it for a few moments, and I like it.  Goign to this square design will allow us a lot more design flexibility, and it will scale better for diferent size screens. (Phones, tablets, laptops, desktops)

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2012, 09:19 by Rennhack »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?