Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Site Suggestions honeypot

Author Topic: Site Suggestions  (Read 67830 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Site Suggestions
« on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:13 »
I'm looking for suggestions on how we can improve the site.  I'm interested in any random thoughts you have.  This is a brainstorming session, there are no bad ideas.

One thing I have considered is changing the "theme" of the site.  Removing the current look and feel, and replacing it with something a little more minimalist. (See attachment).  This is a little radical, as our 'look' is part of who we are.  We are all familiar with the blue theme I've created, and I know most of our users hate change.  One of the advantages of changing the 'look' would be to make the site load faster.  Compared to other sites on the internet, we are really slow, due to all of the 'stuff' we load to make the site look fancy.  -- do you like the way it looks?  Would you prefer something a little simpler like the attachment?

I've also considered having options for people to pick different templates, the classic look, or a new theme.

Understand that the image above is just a mock-up, I was just curious what the site would look like without all of the 'clutter'.
It doesn't mean that we are going to change anything.  I'm just looking around for ways we can improve the site.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 12:18 by Rennhack »

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
Re: Site Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:35 »
The home page looks great the way it is. Maybe you should though make it to where you don't have to scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Like take the left menus and make them drop down. And instead of the jobs and forum stuff, maybe daily news articles or an about nuke worker.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:46 »
The home page looks great the way it is. Maybe you should though make it to where you don't have to scroll to get to the bottom of the page. Like take the left menus and make them drop down. And instead of the jobs and forum stuff, maybe daily news articles or an about nuke worker.

I appreciate your feedback. 

One thing that can't be changed is the job feed and the message board feed on the home page.  Without them, the new user would not know where to find them.  We want to make things as easy as we can for the new folks.

The page scroll really depends on your screen resolution.  We have a lot of people using many different screen sizes.

Screen Resolutions   Percent Visitors

1024x768     44.97%     
 1280x1024    20.74%     
 800x600      19.45%     
 Other        9.81%     
 1152x864     3.46%     
 1600x1200    0.83%     
 640x480      0.72%

We don't have to worry about the 640x480 people, but the 800x600 and larger people we have to make sure the site looks good for them.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 12:53 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Aug 26, 2010, 01:57 »
Move the nukeworker logo to the top center of the home page and make it more dominant as opposed to the advertisers.

On the first look it ofttimes appears that new user was directed to a rad or nuke services home page after hitting the google or yahoo link, etc.

I understand the advertisers pay for what they get, yet it does seem they get top billing as it were, and the "nukeworker.com" is an afterthought on the initial home page view (that first 3 to 5 seconds). Until and if the new user begins scrolling down and across the home page, it can take a moment before that user realizes this is the place he wanted to get to and not a billboard for vendors and services providers.

I think that's a great Idea.  You are 100% correct.  When SEC sponsored the site, people thought they owned it, and now that Bartlett sponsors the site, they think Bartlett owns it.  How can we blame them, the logo's are the same size and position.  Perhaps NukeWorker is only an advertiser.  I'll come up with something to put up there.

The new mock up presented is way too washed out, the contemporary heavier blue theme provides a better contrast with less glare for the eyes to scan around on.

Perhaps we can come up with a simplified version, that uses the same colors.  The simpler we can make it, the easier it will be for Tarbox on his iPhone.

We currently use too many images, and too many tables for layout.  I need to get with the 90's and update the design.  We are using 15 year old technology... and apparently amputated monkeys could do a better job.  [stir]

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26, 2010, 02:43 »
  We are using 15 year old technology... and apparently amputated monkeys could do a better job.  [stir]

Heh, heh ...Only underwater
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26, 2010, 04:59 »
I was thinking of removing the date the jobs were posted form the home page.  I am also considering r4emoving the name of the company that is posting the jobs.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26, 2010, 05:32 »
I was thinking of removing the date the jobs were posted form the home page.  I am also considering r4emoving the name of the company that is posting the jobs.
Please don't.  Please.  Knowing what company is advertising determines if I open it or not. Getting pumped because a plant I want to work is looking for techs., then seeing it is being staffed by a group I don't like is like kissing your sister.  I also don't like the idea of not knowing when a job posted.  
I resisted change over a month ago when you started playing with Karma and adding all the emoticons.  Then I saw what a great job you did with the changes.  I'm learning to trust your instinct when it comes to you running your site.
« Last Edit: Aug 26, 2010, 05:59 by retread »
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2010, 06:32 »
I vote minimalist.  Get some of the 'clutter' off the homepage.

I can do without the company name on the job posting...

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2010, 08:57 »
Mike:

Who is posting and the date it was posted are essentials.  retread is right, finding out who has the job available after the fact is not desirable.  There are many duplicates posted, which is great, but when company A, B, & X have the same job posted and B is the most desirable to work with, which do I go to first?
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2010, 01:45 »
How hard is it to click on the job to see who posted it?  It's not like the information will no longer be available.  You jut have to click on the link, it takes 2 seconds, then click the back key.

As for the date, if its on top it was today, if it is at the bottom, it was a day or two ago.

I'm not saying I'm going to change it, I'm just throwing ideas out there.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2010, 01:46 »
Maybe have the extra info pop-up if you hover over the job.

The problem we have is that the full job title can't be displayed right now, because some other 'less important' information is being displayed.  I'm tryign to figure out how to display more of the important stuff.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2010, 10:05 »
Easy now don't be so touchy. I did not mean blind disabled mentally ill emotionally deprived and other wise unstable monkeys could do it better; I meant they could create this or anyother web site before I could. I like the site pretty much the way it is. I have no trouble navigating the site and it loads up quick enough for me. Any site that is laid out in a logical way I will generally just accept with little question. Again ,its just an expression of my computer illiteracy. Can I grovel more in supplication?  [quit] How bout some monkey  emoticons?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2010, 10:33 »
Easy now don't be so touchy. I did not mean blind disabled mentally ill emotionally deprived and other wise unstable monkeys could do it better; I meant they could create this or anyother web site before I could. I like the site pretty much the way it is. I have no trouble navigating the site and it loads up quick enough for me. Any site that is laid out in a logical way I will generally just accept with little question. Again ,its just an expression of my computer illiteracy. Can I grovel more in supplication?  [quit] How bout some monkey  emoticons?

I was just busting your balls.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2010, 01:12 »
How hard is it to click on the job to see who posted it?  It's not like the information will no longer be available.  You jut have to click on the link, it takes 2 seconds, then click the back key.

As for the date, if its on top it was today, if it is at the bottom, it was a day or two ago.

I'm not saying I'm going to change it, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
I'm an A.N.S.I. 3.1 Senior Health Physics Technician.  Going the extra angstrom isn't in my DNA any longer.  I didn't know showing the tech company was taking away from more pertinent information.  Again, I defer to your decision making abilities.  I was just saying.......
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #14 on: Aug 28, 2010, 02:20 »
How bout a link to educational opportunities in our field. Doesn't have to be huge just obvious and easy. The operative being easy.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2010, 02:47 »
How bout a link to educational opportunities in our field. Doesn't have to be huge just obvious and easy. The operative being easy.

Example?

mostlyharmless

« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2010, 07:16 »
I don't know how to give you an example. Click on study or training or maybe education or continuing ed and then link to tech schools and universities that have radiation protection programs or nuke engineering programs. Include schools like Thomas Edison. Something to make it easy for anyone already in the industry or anyone interested in pursuing a degree or certificate to find a simple list of schools. Says the hairless ape. Put the monkeys to work.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:36 »
I have another question for you.

Are the three things in the left-hand column of the forum important to you at all?  How would you feel if I did away with it?

« Last Edit: Sep 01, 2010, 02:36 by Rennhack »

Motown homey

« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2010, 02:48 »
I'm not tied to any of them.  Rating what I could most live without, it would go B, then A, then C.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2010, 03:10 »
I like A...don't need B & C.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2010, 03:11 »
I like A...don't need B & C.

Ditto
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #21 on: Sep 01, 2010, 03:21 »
If you could incorporate 'A' into the existing header (Show unread posts, show unread replies... you have x messages) then you could get rid of all 3.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Sep 01, 2010, 04:20 »
If you could incorporate 'A' into the existing header (Show unread posts, show unread replies... you have x messages) then you could get rid of all 3.

The software, already has the "new" PM count integrated into the software.  The link up top says "My Messages [1]" right now, because I have an unread message. (Between Profile and Calendar).

I'll look into adding it a SECOND time, just up above that mention of it...

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 01, 2010, 04:41 »
Well, if it is there already, there is no need for a second time. Once will probably be sufficient.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

mostlyharmless

« Reply #24 on: Sep 01, 2010, 07:08 »
All three can go. I normally glance at a and c, but if they were moved I would look there instead. I realize c is at the bottom .

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?