Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Anti-Contamination Bubble Suits  

Author Topic: Anti-Contamination Bubble Suits  (Read 44777 times)

Zimmy

Anti-Contamination Bubble Suits
« on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:52 »
I am curious to know the use of bubble suits in PWR and BWR
and the ratio difference in usage. In  addition, how many of these suits would be used in outage situations. It seems that with all the "engineered controls" going on, there seems to bbe less use of them.

Offline darkmatter

• Heavy Metal Poster Child
  • Heavy User
  • you don't know the power of the dark side.
Re: Anti-Contamination Bubble Suits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2003, 03:10 »
I last used the bubble hoods at Cooper a couple outages ago for changing out the CRDs undervessal (BWR). We used to use them all the time at PWRs for Head work in the cavity, but since respirators are out of vogue now its not done as much.

I've had my share of pinched airlines while covering bubble work
"Never underestimate the power of a Dark Klown"

Darkmatters website is no more, nada, gonzo, 
http://darkmatter.nukeworker.net.istemp.com  this will get you there, but I can't update it anymore. Maybe nukeworker will host personal sites eventully

Austria

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2003, 03:41 »
We used bubble suits last outage for jumping S/G's at Salem. Just for full jumps like installing and pulling nozzle dams. Partial reach ins and pole-loads required power visors. I think they still use bubble suits for pulling CRD's at Hope Creek too.

Real_Old_Guy

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:39 »
Ah the lost art of bubble suits. It seems that more and more plants are going back to the time tested bubble suits however there is a new generation of techs that have never seen them in use yet alone set up air manifolds. Lately it has been deja vu all over again with the resurgeance of bubblehoods.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2003, 09:28 »
I like the bubble suits. They make everyone have the same profile as me. ;D
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

oldtech

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2003, 06:14 »
Bubble hoods for CRD exchange in BWRs is pretty much an industry standard, although for a brief yet memorable period at Pilgrim in 1984 we started out the exchanges using supplied air respirators.  What a cluster that was.

Offline Rad_Toy

• RP TECH
  • Light User
  • Lovin life on the road !!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2003, 01:18 »
[smiley=hop_hand.gif]In the last ten or so years, BWR undervessel CRD pulls is the only thing i've seen them used for..  But, if your using plant issue, and not westinghouse's watch out for dryrot. Also, watch out for maint. workers who what to increase their impact pressure..
The kid U/V was not happy...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2003, 03:16 »
If your maintenance workers are plugging impact wrenches into the breathing air system, you have a problem.  If you are using tool air for breathing, you have a bigger one.  OSHA rules forbid the use of tool air for breathing.  They also require that the two air systems have fittings that are not compatible with each other.  The reason for this is of course that tool air has oil in it.  It is actually intended to contain some oil so that the tools are lubricated.  In any case, it does not meet CGA class D requirements for breathing air.

Back to the original subject, I have found that a lot of jumper type people prefer the bubble hood for some jobs.  Since the power visor is no longer being manufactured, we may see a resurgence of PAPR/PAPH and bubble hood use.
For some work, I'd love to see the sandblasting helmets come back.  They sure beat the heck out of taping a guy into a PAPR and putting a Nomex hood over it.  That can be pretty hot to work in.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2003, 03:48 »
the best thing about bubblehoods is the 360 degrees of visibility, as opposed to your vision being restricted by the facepiece.  of course the cool air filling the suit is a plus also, means less ice pack use too.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

DeathDose

« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2003, 08:53 »
If your maintenance workers are plugging impact wrenches into the breathing air system, you have a problem.  If you are using tool air for breathing, you have a bigger one.

Mechanics,  Strong like bull, smart like tractor.  Must be one of those sites where they test HPs to death to make sure they are competent.  If this is happening at any site they better be looking at their maintenance personnel training.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2003, 09:01 »
hail.... i'll bet that half the plants i wuz at had a problem with this occurrence, maintenace trying to jack tools into breathing air systems, or setting up breathing air on site wall mounted air line fittings that were there for maintenance.  

MajorMinor

« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2003, 10:08 »
Ah the lost art of bubble suits. It seems that more and more plants are going back to the time tested bubble suits however there is a new generation of techs that have never seen them in use yet alone set up air manifolds. Lately it has been deja vu all over again with the resurgeance of bubblehoods.

We use bubble suits up here because our CANDU reactors create a uniquely Canadian hazard: Tritium. MM

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2003, 12:41 »
Back to the original subject, I have found that a lot of jumper type people prefer the bubble hood for some jobs.  Since the power visor is no longer being manufactured, we may see a resurgence of PAPR/PAPH and bubble hood use.

I LOVE those PAPH's...have had great success with them for under-head and cavity work.  

Does any one know if there is a design that combines the new low-profile battery packs with a PAPH?  That'd be a great set-up for jumping S/G's.  Thanks in advance for any info.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Zimmy

« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2003, 02:00 »
Hey UNCABuffalo:

I have seen many different PAPR's and bubble hoods for anti-contamination. I have seen something that's interesting in Europe in that a "Bubble Suit" has a portable integrated PAPR in the suit itself filtering the air instead of it being from a supplied air source. Furthermore this suit has self-escape capabilities, and you are totally mobile.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2003, 06:29 »
I have seen many different PAPR's and bubble hoods for anti-contamination. I have seen something that's interesting in Europe in that a "Bubble Suit" has a portable integrated PAPR in the suit itself filtering the air instead of it being from a supplied air source. Furthermore this suit has self-escape capabilities, and you are totally mobile.

A couple of questions :

1.  How thick is the battery pack on the ones you saw...would a jumper be able to get thru a manway?  The ones I've used have the old PAPR batteries...too big to put on a jumper.

2.  How's the "self-escape" work?

Thanks!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Zimmy

« Reply #15 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:31 »
Hey UNCABUFFALO:

I have been busy researching the information for you. Here is the scoop. The product I have seen has a blower unit and a Four(4)P3 particle filter design that positions itself on the back. It is integrated into a single use suit. The fan and cartridge is attached, and is on the back, but is contained in the suit itself. The filter cartridges are on the outside of the suit to access the air. The dimensions of the pack are 8"X 8" x 2.5" thick. So it's pretty streamlined. Sound interesting?

Zimmy

« Reply #16 on: Dec 02, 2003, 06:33 »
Oh!

One more thing that you asked. The self escape is performed by undressing strips that go from one wrist all the way to the other wrist via the top of the suit itself.

LMDeane

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:09 »
Now you guys are talking my language, and I like the way the conversation's rolling.  Just keep those Bubbles comin' for the longer, warmer, and more physically demanding evolutions.  Full-face APR's continue to be okay for less laborious, cooler and shorter tasks.  8)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2003, 08:44 »
zimmy... yinze got a site on that bubble suit?  be good to have the info in my back pocket, 'cause ya never know when yer gonna need it.

safety1

« Reply #19 on: Apr 15, 2004, 04:15 »
I recently had the pleasure in using and demostrating a new suit to the USA called a delta suit.  This suit is a breeze to suit up.  It is a pleasure to unsuit.  The workers love it.  It has a built in self rescue feature in the face piece that allows the wearer to open the suit in an air loss emergency.

Health physics personnel loved it because it took less than 10 minutes to get people on the platform.  and the disrobe was like opening a bag of patato chips..a zipper that goes from one hand over the head to the other hand.  Suit just falls open like an clam shell.  no extra handling no knives, super easy.

The suit uses a new airline connection called a "C-Jen" fitting which is more efficient than "hansen" and "schrader"  it does not take a lot of muscle to disconnect and reconnect.

This suit is coming from Canada, also I was suprised to read that the Canndo plants were using bubble suits??  The cost must be very prohibitive and when you calculate the time for personnel that is lost in the suiting and unsuiting  process not to mention the safety threat of lost air.

Bubble hoods and monkey suits that go with them are not cheap.  HMMM go figure.

If you would like more info I would be happy to shoot some info your way. just drop me an email.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #20 on: Apr 15, 2004, 06:18 »
and the disrobe was like opening a bag of patato chips..a zipper that goes from one hand over the head to the other hand. 

Let's get potato chip bags that open this easy! (You can't imagine the mess from my 4 sons trying to open and eat them!)

In all seriousness, the need for better safety (the ability to self-rescue) should have been addressed in this country long ago. Does OSHA approve not having dedicated rescue person? That would be worth a lot in savings for personnel.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Zimmy

« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2004, 12:45 »
Roll Tide:

OSHA does because it's the NRC that dictates the policy. You must find a product that meets with the safety features of "Self Escape", and this Delta Suit does. It seems that there are a huge number of power plants applying for the use of these suits to the NRC. If you use supplied air, there is an emergency breathing strip, as well as an undressing strip to evacuate completely in seconds, by yourself, without aid. All the plants are applying for an "Exemption to the need of a standby person" since the product enables the user to get out easily. Sounds like a real winner.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #22 on: Aug 31, 2004, 01:42 »
Safety1,
The Candu plants use bubble suits that are reusable, closed with zippers, and two-piece.  The allow very little loose contamination there, the bubbles are to protect against tritium, which is absorbed through skin as well as inhaled.
It takes very little time to put one on compared to the disposable ones we use, cause they don't need duct tape.  I've actually seen guys use them where they were not required, just to keep cool.  They just put them on without the hood.

The hood they use is a disposable tyvek pullover shirt with a hood that is exactly like the MSA PAPH, except it has a little window that they don't seal shut until they are plugged into air.

When they are done, they toss the hood, and take off the suit in a disolvable bag.  The suit is laundered bag and all, then reused.

The air manifold goes throughout the suit, and the air & headphone connections are built into the suit.  They would be great to use here except that they weigh about five pounds each, and we would contaminate them so much that they probably couldn't be reused. 

This Delta suit, if it is being used in Canada, could probably be reused there too, since you don't have to destroy it to get it off, and they don't get crapped up.  (A green man actually made me wear a tyvek suit over one to keep it clean)
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Zimmy

« Reply #23 on: Sep 04, 2004, 10:03 »
Hey Beer Court:

Your right on the money when it comes to your knowledge of the CANDU's, as well as their application. The reason for them using a re-usable suit is that they have a laundry infrastructure there (union), along with stringent controls regarding RAD waste, as well as high cost. I believe it's around $4000 /m3. The suits also cost around $1000 ea. The Delta suit is cost effective, and applies more readily to US commercial power plant applications. The CANDU's are getting familiar with the Delta suit, but I believe the manufacture will be looking to build something custom for them. What's interesting is that the suit doesn't need taping, fast in and out, great cooling, great emergency escape, so no need to worry about supplied air loss. Only weighing 2 lbs.
Watch for the utilisation of them in manu outage situations this fall, as plants gear up for their use.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #24 on: Sep 04, 2004, 11:56 »
I'd be happy to use a bubble suit that didn't end up being 75% duct tape.  Sometimes I wonder why we don't just put the hood on them and duct tape the rest of the body.
Then, the adhesive screws up the scissors and you're lucky if you can cut out one jumper with only one pair.

This Delta suit could be the next big thing.

Offline Dustball

• Moderate User
  • -40F Keeps out the RiffRaff
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:12 »
We use the Delta suits now.  Pretty much use them only for CRD pulls U/V.  For the price of a bubble hood + the plastic suit + roll of duct tape we easily justified the cost.  Plus we were able to "sell" it to management with the self rescue aspect.  They are very nice!  We do not use a whole lot during an outage.  Maybe 15 suits.

alphadude

« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:28 »
Amazing how those bubble suits were misused over the years. Actually duct taping a person into a plastic bag and throwing the belts away! liability issues by the tons.

ageoldtech

« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2006, 03:42 »
I've used the delta suits, they don't work well for tight areas. Fine for the workers, I'd just as soon wear a resp.

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2006, 09:56 »
We are trying to get Delta Suits approved here at our site.  Does anyone have any policy, procedure, or program documents regarding the Delta Suits?  PM me if you got any info.

Thanks!

ageoldtech

« Reply #29 on: Mar 07, 2006, 09:55 »
Catawba has a procedure for the use of Delta suits which includes mock-up training. I don’t have a contact name for ya, but at least you have some place to start.

Offline volfireman07

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Mar 07, 2006, 03:16 »
Thanks, I'll try to find someone to call.

Anyone else?

exocom

« Reply #31 on: Mar 08, 2006, 05:55 »
Contact Jeff Litaker extension 4283 at McGuire 704-875-4000.  Mr. Litaker is the staff scientist at Duke with all the information from French manufacturer and NRC approval paper work.

HighRad

« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2006, 08:44 »
Hello,

I have a new solution for bubble hoods, Delta Suits, and powered visors. It is called a Hurricane Hood. We used them last outage season for steam generator nozzle dam installation at Vogtle and Diablo Canyon. They were also used for cavity decontamination at Diablo Canyon. We did not have any heat stress issues or PC events. The great thing about them is they provide the user with lots of air (33 CFM) which is more than the PAPR Delta Suit and 5 times more air than power visors or PAPRs WITHOUT any hoses and breathing air system.

There are 2 models: Category 2 (CAT-2) and Category 3 (CAT-3).

The CAT-3 is perfect for steam generator entries……yes, I said steam generator entries! I would like to see you get through a 16” S/G manway with a PAPR on! They have a high speed blower on the top of the hood that blows filtered air down the front of the hood (great for defogging!) and into the suit for cooling. This model can also be supplied with a wireless color camera so you can monitor the actual work the worker is performing. It is a good ALARA solution for limiting HP coverage in certain areas and can be used for QA monitoring of the actual work activities too so they do not need to be in the area.

The CAT-2 uses the same high flow blower and filter system as the CAT-3. The CAT-2 is mounted on the upper back like a back pack and weighs less than 2 lbs. The air is blown from the back of the hood down the front of the hood and into the suit for cooling. This model is great for control rod drive maintenance, cavity decon, etc. The CAT-3 can actually be configured as a CAT-2 by removing 2 thumbscrews for the blower unit and attaching it to the belt pack for the CAT-2.

They are sold as anti-contamination devices like power visors and not as respirators.

There is a lot more information on the website including brochures, pictures, and news: www.RadiumInc.com

Zimmy

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2006, 12:36 »
No Thanks High Rad.

I prefer using suits approved by the NRC for high contam jobs. "Delta Suits"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2006, 08:53 »
high rad...  yinz gots any data from a/s results i/s the hoods vs o/s?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?