Facility & Company Information > Canada

CANDU & H3

(1/7) > >>

Sun Dog:

--- Quote from: focus on May 28, 2008, 03:58 ---hey guys
just came back from the outage at Point Lepreau
what a great CLEAN place to work......i hardly picked up anything working there almost 4 weeks.....anyways i was in the RB every day for about 9-10 hours in the resparaitor and my final dose was like 25 mRem......by the way its that clean that we are aloud to wear out regurlar clothes in there.....anyways very good place and great people there

--- End quote ---

I doubt focus is still around, but maybe somebody else could shed a little light on his dated post...

How can a place be considered "a great CLEAN place to work"  if for four weeks you are "in the RB every day for about 9-10 hours in the resparaitor (sic)"?  What activity would require that level of protection in a plant "that clean that we are aloud to wear out regurlar clothes in there (sic)"?

stormgoalie:

--- Quote from: Sun Dog on Aug 30, 2010, 10:03 ---I doubt focus is still around, but maybe somebody else could shed a little light on his dated post...

How can a place be considered "a great CLEAN place to work"  if for four weeks you are "in the RB every day for about 9-10 hours in the resparaitor (sic)"?  What activity would require that level of protection in a plant "that clean that we are aloud to wear out regurlar clothes in there (sic)"?

--- End quote ---

Because the respirator was for H3 and not airborne particulate.  We have accessible areas inside of our containment buildings at Pickering that have no loose contamination, but have low level H3 so you need a respirator......

Rennhack:

--- Quote from: stormgoalie on Aug 30, 2010, 01:01 ---Because the respirator was for H3 and not airborne particulate.  We have accessible areas inside of our containment buildings at Pickering that have no loose contamination, but have low level H3 so you need a respirator......

--- End quote ---

Are these "supplied-air respirators" or the standard negative pressure Air-purifying respirators?  Or one of those weird "Tritium Bottle Respirators"?

stormgoalie:

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Aug 30, 2010, 01:05 ---Are these "supplied-air respirators" or the standard negative pressure Air-purifying respirators?  Or one of those weird "Tritium Bottle Respirators"?

--- End quote ---

Here we use a negative pressure, half mask, air purifying respirator with a specific cartridge that is wetted prior to use to absorb H3 present in atmosphere.  This is only used at lower levels as ~50% of your H3 exposure is through the skin, at high levels we use an air supplied plastic suit with a hood...

Motown homey:
Do you really have H3 in concentrations significant enough to require respiratory protection in clean areas of the plant?  If the concentration is that high, have you tried using an Hydrogen scrubber to decrease it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version