Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Women on submarines
honeypot

Author Topic: Women on submarines  (Read 110508 times)

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
Women on submarines
« on: Sep 04, 2010, 10:09 »
At the risk of sounding sexist, I'm just after some answers.

Here's a quote from Elaine Donnelly, in a report to the Pentagon in 2007 who is contracted to oversea gender issues for the military.

"A plan to assign female sailors and officers only to larger Trident submarines (SSBNs, also known as “boomers”) would create an unacceptable two-tiered officer community: one group that can serve
on any submarine, and another that can only be assigned to Tridents.

Without the opportunity to assign sailors to both types of submarines, in order to broaden experience in each, it would become increasingly difficult to maintain a properly balanced and experienced officer community.

This would disadvantage women in any fair selection process for command. Additionally, assigning women only to the larger Trident subs would create a perceived inequity within the community."

I've always hated creating double standards in any community. It creates resentment, inequality, and hurt feelings. Already men and women that serve in the military have two different standards, but I'm asking why do we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot?

I'm all for equality, I think that anyone can serve in any position they qualify for, just don't give us two different standards for people trying to do the same job.

I have faith that the nuclear pipeline won't accelerate training like the aviation community did in the mid-90's which led to some preventable accidents. Do you think we'll see the same type of accidents brought on by rushed training/promotions brought on by political pressure once they reach the fleet?

Does the civilian nuclear community have the same "Double Standards" based on gender? Do you guys foresee this having a negative impact on the submarine fleet?

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
Re: Women on submarines
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2010, 10:51 »
We more that one-upped you.  We have standards for hes, shes, shes who want to be hes, and hes who want to be shes.

That's a lot of different standards. Do the requirements to hire change with the respective category?

Sun Dog

« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2010, 04:47 »
That's a lot of different standards. Do the requirements to hire change with the respective category?

There are no official biases one way or the other when it comes to hiring.  Having double (or triple) standards would be illegal.  Like the scales of justice, HR is blind.

JsonD13

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2010, 03:15 »
I definetly see a problem with it in the sub fleet (not that I was a submariner, though).  The problem could come from the men being jealous of the women since they can only have the more "cushy" boomer asignments versus fast attacks.

But then again, like you said, nothing new.  PRT (performance, not weight/BF) standards have been different for many years.

Jason

Online Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2010, 03:53 »
I definetly see a problem with it in the sub fleet (not that I was a submariner, though).  The problem could come from the men being jealous of the women since they can only have the more "cushy" boomer asignments versus fast attacks.

But then again, like you said, nothing new.  PRT (performance, not weight/BF) standards have been different for many years.

Jason

Jealous? Irrate and indignate may be the right term. When women were first introduced into the Nuclear Propulsion program they were not allowed on any warship so they took up shore billets forcing some men to take longer Sea-Shore rotations, they weren't jealous they were mad. Apparently it's only fair if its PC and hateful if you expect equal treatment.

There is no way to make this change and be fair so you will have to expect some of those who get set aside to be angry. But that is just the way it is, and to denigrate those set aside to make up for past inequalities they had nothing to do with is a bit small minded, especially if you are not one of the ones who will have to pay that price.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:00 »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:03 »
It's about time.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:41 »
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

JsonD13

« Reply #8 on: Apr 07, 2011, 01:56 »
Some might consider getting back in if they really looked like that.

But then again I would have to ask permission, and she would say NO!

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Apr 07, 2011, 02:17 »
Some might consider getting back in if they really looked like that.

But then again I would have to ask permission, and she would say NO!

It doesn't mean you're ugly; it means she's smart.  [coffee]

JsonD13

« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2011, 02:31 »
I am not talking about asking the girl in the picture permission, I was referring to my wife.

So in a sense, youre right.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2011, 07:27 »
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2011, 09:07 »

MacGyver

« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2011, 10:57 »
Lots of torpedoing, anyhow  ;)

Aye Aye .... Captain!

"Polishing the Old Torpedo Sir?" (quote at 2:42)
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:28 by MacGyver »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2011, 10:35 »
Women do not need to be on subs. The cost/benefit ratio doesnt compute. Maybe an ALL woman sub, but definitely NOT a coed one.

Human nature prevails, only a matter of time before the pregnancies and rape accusations begin to trickle in for the problems to become evident.

Now, perhaps a couple officers (akin to down periscope, but obviously a little more respectful) on a sub would be ok (A doctor or supply officer), but I just dont see the benefit of having coed submarines. Sexist???? If thats what it has to be O.o

« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2011, 09:36 by Charlie Murphy »

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #15 on: Apr 10, 2011, 01:02 »
Women SHOULD be on submarines.... when they build a class specifically designed to house a coed crew.

I like the plan now... test the waters with officers.

They should NOT waste time or money reconfiguring the current classes for women (fast attacks that is).

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #16 on: Apr 10, 2011, 01:57 »
Women SHOULD be on submarines.... when they build a class specifically designed to house a coed crew.

I like the plan now... test the waters with officers.

They should NOT waste time or money reconfiguring the current classes for women (fast attacks that is).

I was never on a submarine, how feasible is it to "build in" a separate berthing for women blue shirts?

andrewnavy

« Reply #17 on: Apr 10, 2011, 02:05 »

I was never on a submarine, how feasible is it to "build in" a separate berthing for women blue shirts?

Not worth the time or mountains of money.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #18 on: Apr 10, 2011, 10:00 »

It isn't feasible... IMO. I agree, not worth the time or money.

Offline playswithairplanes

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Apr 11, 2011, 05:44 »
I had an 'er... um' moment with this topic about 3 weeks ago. My 5 year old daughter was looking at my shadow box and asked about my dolphins. I explained what they were, and how I got them. She then says, I want to be on a submarine too daddy...

Yea... er... um... yea, honey. /sigh
Airplanes and submarines... they are similar it's just the density of the fluid that separates them

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2011, 05:54 »
I had an 'er... um' moment with this topic about 3 weeks ago. My 5 year old daughter was looking at my shadow box and asked about my dolphins. I explained what they were, and how I got them. She then says, I want to be on a submarine too daddy...

Convert the 102 Spec Ops bunks into 40 female berths, 6 commodes, 12 shower, 2 huge honkin' make-up mirrors and a modest Day Spa, and you are there!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #21 on: Apr 11, 2011, 06:47 »

Time for some tough love buddy ;) haha

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #22 on: Apr 12, 2011, 09:44 »

Convert the 102 Spec Ops bunks into 40 female berths, 6 commodes, 12 shower, 2 huge honkin' make-up mirrors and a modest Day Spa, and you are there!

I would not put it past that our politically correct knee jerk government would sacrifice the mission of fast attacks just to get females on board.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Apr 13, 2011, 01:10 »
I would not put it past that our politically correct knee jerk government would sacrifice the mission of fast attacks just to get females on board.

More like a 12,000 ton 20-knot capable "slow approach", but with 4 dedicated Twitter and Facebook terminals, and small gift shop just forward of the NFO tank (gotta be able to buy some Febreeze for the bunks when you run out!) it would be such a party! Just watch your step, so you don't slip on all the stuffed unicorns on the deck from angles-n-dangles  >:(

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #24 on: Apr 13, 2011, 09:40 »
More like a 12,000 ton 20-knot capable "slow approach", but with 4 dedicated Twitter and Facebook terminals, and small gift shop just forward of the NFO tank (gotta be able to buy some Febreeze for the bunks when you run out!) it would be such a party! Just watch your step, so you don't slip on all the stuffed unicorns on the deck from angles-n-dangles  >:(

If thats not sexist I dont know what is ;) You clearly werent on a carrier either lol

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?