Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Women on submarines  

Author Topic: Women on submarines  (Read 110509 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Women on submarines
« Reply #125 on: Mar 09, 2017, 03:06 »

children on a warship?!?!?!

Not until NCC 1701-D is commissioned

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #126 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:01 »
No. I had to go into female berthing a couple times on the ship. It already smells terrible. I can't imagine how bad it would be after babies spit up, vomit, and poop everywhere. Then, where would they sleep? Would baby boys be allowed to sleep in female berthing?

Chimera

« Reply #127 on: Mar 10, 2017, 06:58 »
I find it mildly ironic that women in the services demand to be treated equally until they invoke that whole "separate but equal" thingy about berthing, going to the bathroom, physical qualifications and anything else they don't like.  It was bad enough back in my day when we couldn't rotate into a shore billet because some woman was sitting there demanding the right to be aboard a ship.  Now they're aboard the ships - even submarines - and they still aren't happy.  I guess expressions like "man up" aren't considered politically correct anymore.  You want to be part of the crew?  That includes everything from scrubbing the bilges to manning the ratlines (yeah, I know, they don't have those anymore except on the USS Constitution).

[stir]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #128 on: Mar 10, 2017, 08:19 »
It's like Woody said on Cheers... "Women. You can't live with them... pass the mustard."
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #129 on: Apr 14, 2017, 09:45 »

Chimera

« Reply #130 on: Apr 17, 2017, 11:08 »

children on a warship?!?!?!

I know we call them "warships" but it's been a long time since they actually did "war".  However, I will concede the point even though, during the Cold War, we never did any "war" other than evading the Russian trawlers and backing off the spy planes and ships that followed our fleets like badly dressed camp followers.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #131 on: Apr 17, 2017, 05:40 »
I know we call them "warships" but it's been a long time since they actually did "war"......

that
is the greatest testament to their mission,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #132 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:23 »
Astronaut Candidate Kayla Barron

Barron was commissioned as a Navy officer in 2010 and immediately attended graduate school. Her graduate research focused on modeling the fuel cycle for a next-generation, thorium-fueled nuclear reactor concept. Following graduate school, Barron attended the U.S. Navy’s nuclear power and submarine officer training before being assigned to the USS Maine, an Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine homeported in Bangor, Washington. Barron qualified as a submarine warfare officer and completed three strategic deterrent patrols while serving as a division officer aboard the Maine. At the time of her selection, Barron was serving as the Flag Aide to the Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronauts/biographies/kayla-barron/biography

Offline Red Gold

• Light User
« Reply #133 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:12 »
Nice work! Would she be the first Navy Nuke astronaut, of any gender? I don't know of any prior, so that's a double win.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #134 on: Jun 09, 2017, 10:38 »

Barron was commissioned as a Navy officer in 2010 and immediately attended graduate school. Her graduate research focused on modeling the fuel cycle for a next-generation, thorium-fueled nuclear reactor concept. Following graduate school, Barron attended the U.S. Navy’s nuclear power and submarine officer training before being assigned to the USS Maine, an Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine homeported in Bangor, Washington. Barron qualified as a submarine warfare officer and completed three strategic deterrent patrols while serving as a division officer aboard the Maine. At the time of her selection, Barron was serving as the Flag Aide to the Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy.

NASA unveils new class of 12 astronauts

https://spaceflightnow.com/2017/06/07/nasa-unveils-new-class-of-12-astronauts/

Druid

« Reply #135 on: Jun 09, 2017, 11:32 »
Nice work! Would she be the first Navy Nuke astronaut, of any gender? I don't know of any prior, so that's a double win.

Born in Pocatello, ID. Must have gotten inoculated by nuclear tumbleweeds from the very beginning!

D

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #136 on: Jun 11, 2017, 05:51 »
I find it mildly ironic that women in the services demand to be treated equally until they invoke that whole "separate but equal" thingy about berthing, going to the bathroom, physical qualifications and anything else they don't like.  It was bad enough back in my day when we couldn't rotate into a shore billet because some woman was sitting there demanding the right to be aboard a ship.  Now they're aboard the ships - even submarines - and they still aren't happy.  I guess expressions like "man up" aren't considered politically correct anymore.  You want to be part of the crew?  That includes everything from scrubbing the bilges to manning the ratlines (yeah, I know, they don't have those anymore except on the USS Constitution).

[stir]
Yea, the audacity of those women to ask for the same customs we follow in everyday society to be followed onboard a US warship.

Also, the initiative for women to be onboard submarines is crafted almost entirely by men.

Your ability to use references is Significantly Below Average for someone who was/is a nuke.

Offline FlatCan

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #137 on: Feb 04, 2018, 01:47 »
If you haven't already, check out this young woman who is a 2017 astronaut candidate (she's also stated as having been part of the first integrated class of woman-submariners).

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #138 on: Feb 04, 2018, 02:49 »

Yep I did  ;)

If you haven't already, check out this young woman who is a 2017 astronaut candidate (she's also stated as having been part of the first integrated class of woman-submariners).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?