Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Women on submarines  

Author Topic: Women on submarines  (Read 110504 times)

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
Re: Women on submarines
« Reply #50 on: Apr 23, 2011, 03:58 »
Make the kids part of the crew!

Just convert some of the racks to a Montessori daycare/preschool in the Aft Berthing space of the SSGN Schroder class!
Training the next generation of submariners early, hrm?

DSO

« Reply #51 on: Apr 24, 2011, 12:53 »
The only solution to having women on submarines is having all women submarines and all men submarines where we don't mix hormones and decrease the dependability of our fighting force. The homosexuals should have their own berthing area and shower on either  submarine as to separate individuals of opposite sexual preferences as has been the norm since the inception of the Navy.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #52 on: Apr 24, 2011, 01:20 »
The only solution to having women on submarines is having all women submarines and all men submarines where we don't mix hormones and decrease the dependability of our fighting force. The homosexuals should have their own berthing area and shower on either  submarine as to separate individuals of opposite sexual preferences as has been the norm since the inception of the Navy.

There is a flaw in that logic -- If the straight men bunk with straight men, no conflict since they are not attracted to each other (theoretically... I have heard the long deployment stories.  ;)) Same with the straight women. But if you bunk all the homosexual men in the same berthing area, how is that different from berthing men and women together? Since they are attracted to each other, how is that any kind of separation? Same with homosexual women, of course. And if you bunk the homosexual men with the straight women and vice versa, that would create its own kind of awkwardness if one of the straights is attracted to one of the homosexuals... or any of them is Bisexual.

Another flaw of the all-women ships is based on a curious, but verifiable, fact: Any group of women living together have a tendency to 'synchronize' their cycles. Can you imagine the problems arising with a whole ship full of women all having 'that time of month' with nuclear weapons at their disposal?

No thanks!   :o

Please don't shoot, it is all in fun!  ;D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

drayer54

« Reply #53 on: Apr 24, 2011, 01:28 »
The only solution to having women on submarines is having all women submarines and all men submarines where we don't mix hormones and decrease the dependability of our fighting force. The homosexuals should have their own berthing area and shower on either  submarine as to separate individuals of opposite sexual preferences as has been the norm since the inception of the Navy.

I would truly fear the sight of an all female sub crew. That thing would attract bears. The Navy has not and will not now seperate people by sexual preference, not sure where you are getting that. Perceived sexual preference maybe, but even now the DOD is not going to keep a database of who likes boys and who likes girls. Sailors, including myself , have shared berthing areas and shower facilities with homosexuals before and will continue to. It didn't really bother most of us and didn't present any real issues. We all knew who was and it wasn't a big deal for the majority of us.

Also, deployment couples and hormone swapping are not a new concept to ships at sea. I wish it wasn't that way, but it's not new.

There is a flaw in that logic -- If the straight men bunk with straight men, no conflict since they are not attracted to each other (theoretically... I have heard the long deployment stories.  ;)) Same with the straight women. But if you bunk all the homosexual men in the same berthing area, how is that different from berthing men and women together? Since they are attracted to each other, how is that any kind of separation? Same with homosexual women, of course. And if you bunk the homosexual men with the straight women and vice versa, that would create its own kind of awkwardness if one of the straights is attracted to one of the homosexuals... or any of them is Bisexual.
Very true. I'm sure the women wouldn't of approved of some the not appropriate or normal things that happen there either. I hated it when the women would feel welcome to hang out in our berthing. I had a universal policy to don my less than professional and far more natural uniform at those times and do my calisthenic routine. Although, I bet the gay berthing would smell better and generally be neater. Ours was a genuine sty....
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2011, 04:10 by drayer54 »

moochiebubble

« Reply #54 on: Apr 26, 2011, 06:25 »
RDTrojan , an all woman crew would be formidable , especially at that time. LOL

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #55 on: Apr 26, 2011, 06:33 »
I really hope I'm not the only one who thinks this conversation has deteriorated. Period jokes? Seriously?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #56 on: Apr 26, 2011, 09:51 »
I really hope I'm not the only one who thinks this conversation has deteriorated. Period jokes? Seriously?

Hmm. This is good practice for you when you finally get in the navy. You will be an extreme minority and half the guys will try to get in your pants, and the other half will act completely innapropriate to you. Get used to it now while you can at your leisure and you will be far ahead of the game....

That said, these jokes are awfully mild to what you are going to see in the nav.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #57 on: Apr 26, 2011, 10:13 »
Hmm. This is good practice for you when you finally get in the navy. You will be an extreme minority and half the guys will try to get in your pants, and the other half will act completely innapropriate to you. Get used to it now while you can at your leisure and you will be far ahead of the game....

That said, these jokes are awfully mild to what you are going to see in the nav.

Now, now, Charlie.  The Navy consists entirely of outstanding professional sailors who would never dream of doing the sort of thing you suggest.  Why, it's completely contrary to the core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment, and nobody would ever dream of stooping to that base, foul level like a Marine or something.

Why, I look back on my service days with a certain amount of pride, knowing that there was absolutely no sexual harassment or discrimination aboard the US Navy vessels upon which I served.  Because the sailors I worked with in the fleet are all professionals, mission-oriented, and dedicated to life, liberty, and the pursuit of all those who oppose it.

drayer54

« Reply #58 on: Apr 26, 2011, 10:59 »
Now, now, Charlie.  The Navy consists entirely of outstanding professional sailors who would never dream of doing the sort of thing you suggest.  Why, it's completely contrary to the core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment, and nobody would ever dream of stooping to that base, foul level like a Marine or something.

Why, I look back on my service days with a certain amount of pride, knowing that there was absolutely no sexual harassment or discrimination aboard the US Navy vessels upon which I served.  Because the sailors I worked with in the fleet are all professionals, mission-oriented, and dedicated to life, liberty, and the pursuit of all those who oppose it.
Yup, sounds about right. That is exactly how I remember it too. I'm glad to see someone steer this conversation back in the right direction.

I don't know what Charlie is talking about. What ship was he on anyways?
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2011, 11:00 by drayer54 »

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #59 on: Apr 26, 2011, 11:13 »

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #60 on: Apr 27, 2011, 02:47 »
Yeah, everybody has been telling me that. :)

I was just hoping to steer the thread back to a constructive debate. I've been enjoying lurking in it. :)

JustPlainLo and drayer: Are you guys being sarcastic? Because I can't tell.

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #61 on: Apr 27, 2011, 04:48 »
Shipmate, I would never be sarcastic; sarcasm doesn't fall under the guidelines of the Navy's core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #62 on: Apr 27, 2011, 07:50 »
Shipmate, I would never be sarcastic; sarcasm doesn't fall under the guidelines of the Navy's core values of Honor, Courage, and Commitment.

Especially not in those way-cool Chinese digital camo knockoff outfits ;)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: Apr 27, 2011, 02:27 »

I was just hoping to steer the thread back to a constructive debate. I've been enjoying lurking in it. :)

I was never in the Navy, but I can tell you this: If you can't tell if that is sarcasm or not, you are in a world of trouble.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

MacGyver

« Reply #64 on: Apr 27, 2011, 02:57 »

ON TOPIC.  Living on a submarine is kind of like a "groundhogs day" meets "gilligans island" event.  You're trapped on an island (sorta) with a bunch of folks you really don't like while trying to escape the island.

Plus a measure of physical and mental torrture.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2011, 03:04 by MacGyver »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #65 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:16 »

??? You lead CM on for quite a while because he didn't look at the left side, and you can't tell?  ???
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #66 on: Apr 27, 2011, 11:20 »
Yeah. What's your point?

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #67 on: Apr 28, 2011, 03:34 »

Offline 730SMAG

• Moderate User
« Reply #68 on: Apr 29, 2011, 12:31 »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #69 on: Apr 29, 2011, 10:11 »
Yeah. What's your point? 

Just exactly that!  You seem to enjoy being very sarcastic, however, you don't seem to recognize it when it is directed back at you!  Can I be more specific?
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline GNowakowski

• Light User
  • Northwestern MT
« Reply #70 on: Apr 29, 2011, 10:52 »
It kills me that Styrofoam just played all of you.

Which ones couldn't read the sarcasm?
10 awesomeness pts. go to Styrofoam.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:01 »
It kills me that Styrofoam just played all of you.
Which ones couldn't read the sarcasm?
10 awesomeness pts. go to Styrofoam.

For her sake I hope she was being sarcastic. Somehow I doubt it though, based on previous posts.

If you are impressed with her 'awesomeness' you are a bit too easy to amaze.

Just my opinion, of course.
« Last Edit: Apr 29, 2011, 11:02 by RDTroja »

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #72 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:06 »
For her sake I hope she was being sarcastic. Somehow I doubt it though, based on previous posts.

If you are impressed with her 'awesomeness' you are a bit too easy to amaze.

Just my opinion, of course.

Personally I think he's Jonesin' for a date.  8)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: Apr 29, 2011, 11:16 »
Personally I think he's Jonesin' for a date.  8)

<3 <3 ROFL

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #74 on: Apr 30, 2011, 12:54 »
Whether or not I was being sarcastic will remain one of the world's great mysteries.

Anybody else think the idea to have female-only subs is a bit ridiculous?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?