Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Been out since 1996  

Author Topic: Been out since 1996  (Read 5887 times)

goneawhile

Been out since 1996
« on: Jul 23, 2004, 12:37 »
I'd like some help from anyone with some ideas for me...

I got out of the Navy in 1996 and left the nuke world. I missed it a little at first but I've been regretting that decision a lot for about the last 4 years. I miss the technical challenge and I guess I never realized how much I liked it until it was gone. I have had good success in my new career (since the Navy) but there is no technical challenge and I can't take it any more :)

I was in for 8 years - ET1 when I got out (ETC board eligible). Was a staff pick up after NPTU. Qualifed SRO on two ships. I was the first to qualify SRO on the new construction carrier USS John C. Stennis. I was the #2 plant LPO for 2 years there and helped with most of the systems acceptance testing and initial qualifications of the team. Had excellent evaluations/recommendations/awards.

I have like 5 classes and a couple CLEP exams to finish the TESC BS in Nuclear Engineering Technology degree. I've taken a lot of undergrad classes including many engineering courses and math through Diff EQ.

Being out of the Nuke world for so long I feel pretty clueless how to get back in. I'm a pretty quick study and feel I could pick up on most of the lost knowledge in about 3 to 6 months.

I really miss the job and am looking for some candid thoughts from someone "in the know". Mainly, have I been out to long to have a reasonable expectation of getting back in? Be honest :)

If not, what type of a position in the civilian world would be a fit for me? Obviously an operator position but at this point I think I just need to get my foot in the door. Money is not an issue for me so I can start wherever just to get started.

Any input is appreciated, thanks guys.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2004, 12:38 by goneawhile »

RAD-GHOST

Re: Been out since 1996
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2004, 09:26 »
Wait a minute!  You are selling yourself short on this one.  I'm sure you will get quite a few emailing on the side, in response to this posting.  Even though you have been gone for 8 years, the knowledge base and experience is still there!  Combine that with your higher education and you are an rather sellable commodity!  Like you said, back up to speed in a few months!  I suggest you slap a resume together, preferable with a pro, and send it out to the various companies listed on this site. 

In your case, I would suggest you pick where you want to work and stand firm on $28.00 to $35.00 an hour!  At the present time the demand for techs is high and will be higher in about one month.  With the growing list of license extentions, the utilities are all looking for prime candidates, such as yourself, in all fields!  Don't buy the stories, or false promises that the contract companies will sell you, work for us as a tech today and we will staff you in a professional position in the future! 

You will find this site and it's members, are a very good resource for job shoping.  Just tell them what type of position your interested in, area of the country that interests you and how much you want to make!  You'll be surprised how many leads you will get.

Good Luck, RG

PS:  Don't work for Peanuts!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?