Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO Hopeful  

Author Topic: NLO Hopeful  (Read 8517 times)

Buddy

NLO Hopeful
« on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:11 »
Hello All:

A relative of mine recently told me I should look into applying for a NLO position and after some research I am VERY interested. The ideal of eventually becoming a SRO seems quite possibly like it could be one of the coolest jobs in the world. Albeit, I'm sure it's very stressful work, how many people call themselves a Nuclear Reactor Operator. Not to mention the piles and piles of money one could make.

I feel like I'm reasonable qualified, I have a B.S. in Engineering (Civil), quite a bit of construction experience and some design experience (mostly mechanical pumping systems). I'm very disciplined, consider myself a hands on person and I have a lot of drive.

I'm curious what some of you might think about how a civil degree might help me. It is basically the same degree as a mechanical degree with the exception of the last year. I've had thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, hydraulics and all that good stuff. I could go back and have a mechanical degree in a years time but would that really help me that much?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: NLO Hopeful
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2010, 10:21 »
Sounds good to me.

Find yourself a nuclear power plant that's hiring.  If they're interested, you'll probably be invited out to take the POSS (Plant Operator Selection System) test.  The questions on the test aren't particularly difficult, but you have to work quickly.  "Speed And Accuracy" is the name of the game.

If you pass the POSS, they'll probably invite you back for an interview.  They may interview you at the same time as your POSS testing, so you only have to make one visit.

Be prepared to face some tough competition.  You're going to need something to distinguish yourself from the rest of the candidates.  Having ties to the local area is a big plus.   Previous navy nuclear experience is a big plus.  Previous power plant experience is a big plus.

Sometimes the job being offered is NLO, NEO, AO, AUO, etc.  (They're all equivalent, just different names)
« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2010, 10:23 by sovbob »
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:14 »
Or just try to get hired on as an Engineer and see how you like it. My plant offers Instant SRO to people with a BS degree, they come from Engineering, Chemistry, RP, and Operations.

Buddy

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:16 »
Thanks for the help sovbob.

I'm 0 for 3 on the big pluses. ;D Closest plant is about 100 miles from me.

Also, I was told by a recruiter that I have 2 options (because of my age) for Navy nuclear, either Reactor Engineer or Instructor. I have the grades but I'm told it's a long shot. I was told I would have to pass initial screenings, sign a letter of intent, and then fly to Washington to meet the Admiral. He has the final say for these positions. I haven't completely ruled that out, but I'm not sure it would be my best option.

And as for previous plant experience, I have none, but I'm willing to clean the bathrooms with a toothbrush if it would get me to the NLO/AUO position. However, I was under the impression this was the bottom. Can you give me an idea of another position I might consider to get some power plant experience?

Buddy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2010, 11:27 »
Or just try to get hired on as an Engineer and see how you like it. My plant offers Instant SRO to people with a BS degree, they come from Engineering, Chemistry, RP, and Operations.

I have spent time in a cubicle with my sliderule and toatin' a calculator. Although I consider myself to be a decent designer, I am more of a hands on person. Not to say I wouldn't take a power plant related engineering job (move back to the cube farm), but I think I would enjoy operators a lot more.

Pman52

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2010, 12:39 »
Although I consider myself to be a decent designer, I am more of a hands on person.
You are not alone my friend.  While all my friends are landing desk jobs I'm working hard to land a position in ops due to the hands on type of work and analytical thinking it will require.  It seems it's quite a challenge to get your foot in the door with no previous nuke experience but if you're patient and work hard it seems it will come with time.  Just have to be patient and keep on the hunt. 

pebinatl

« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2010, 01:36 »
The Southern Co. is hiring Nuclear Tech and SOIT (systems operator in training-NLO) positions at Plant Hatch and Vogtle. A nuclear tech position is a laborer position ($16.50/hr) but it will get you into the union and you would most likely land a SOIT position within a year. SOIT's ($24.00/hr.) attend class for the first year prior to being qualified as an SO (also called NLO and make $30.00/hr). The plant hatch positions are posted on the Southernco web site and the Vogtle positions should post in about two weeks. The pay may not be as high as other areas but cost  of living is lower. The people are great and the benefits are really good.

Buddy

« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2010, 09:12 »
Thanks for all the comments.

Pebinatl - Do you know if the Vogtle will be hiring Techs as well?

pebinatl

« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2010, 02:46 »
They posted 8 nuclear tech and 18 SOIT in house last week. If they are not filled in house, they will most likely hit the Southernco web site in a couple a weeks. I would start checking now daily for them.

Buddy

« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:51 »
OK, thanks for the heads up. I have some family working there now with Shaw. Would be pretty cool to get on there.

Offline Benwah033

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2010, 11:42 »

This is exactly what I did.  I hired into my plant in design engineering in Sept '09, and started talking to the Ops managers in Oct '09 about going to class.  On Oct 12th of 2010 my class will start GFES.  (just FYI, I did have 5 years of nuclear field experience with a reactor vendor prior to starting in-house)

If you have an Engineering degree, this is probably by far the fastest way in, but just be aware that Engineering may not let you go when its time for the next class to start, and you will probably be expected to bypass NPO/RO and go for a direct SRO.  SROs are much less hands on than i think you're expecting during day-to-day operations, so be careful what you wish for.

By the way, there are tons of civil engineers at Nuclear Plants, and alot of them spend alot of time out in the plant following modifications and/or evaluating failed components/supports.  You might find it more interesting than you think, and its definitely a foot in the door.

tselby

« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:56 »
If you are that interested send me a message and we can talk

Buddy

« Reply #12 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:30 »
Very interested, still hopeful ;D....message sent

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?