Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are there any navy nuke graphic novels that really represent life in the Navy?
honeypot

Author Topic: Are there any navy nuke graphic novels that really represent life in the Navy?  (Read 27828 times)

Offline Tom Vonnegan

• Very Lite User
Just took the asvab and am thinking about becoming a nuke, but want to know what its like since i hear different things.

Does any one know any thing about these nuke graphic novels?

http://www.amazon.com/NUKED-Graphic-Novel-Mark-Moremoney/dp/1453600930/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284424083&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Nuked-Graphic-Novel-2/dp/1453724451/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284424114&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Nuclear-Navy-Graphic-Novel/dp/1453724443/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284424114&sr=1-4

Are they for real and do they really describe what nuke life is like?

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?
Also available in SOBER!

Offline Estis

• Light User

This is from the author bio on amazon:

"Mark Moremoney served his time honorably in the U.S Navy, believing he was securing the safety of America by serving his country as a nuclear operator. Instead, he found out he was just a cog in a huge war machine used to enforce global hegemony for private interests. Now, he simply presents the enlisted side of things in graphic novel form."

Sounds like it is real to me. Whether these books accurately represent what nuke life is like is up for debate. It may be accurate according to this guys' experience, but everyone has a different experience/opinion. If you spend some time on this forum, you will see many people have bad/average/good experiences and opinions on Nuke life. From the bio, it sounds like this guy came out on the very cynical end of the scale. I think you will probably get a more accurate overall description of nuke life by reading lots of different opinions here on the forums vice taking it all from one source (plus the forums are free, no need to spend $20 for one opinion).
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 09:07 by Estis »
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

co60slr

Just took the asvab and am thinking about becoming a nuke, but want to know what its like since i hear different things.

Does any one know any thing about these nuke graphic novels?

http://www.amazon.com/NUKED-Graphic-Novel-Mark-Moremoney/dp/1453600930/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284424083&sr=8-9

http://www.amazon.com/Nuked-Graphic-Novel-2/dp/1453724451/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284424114&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Nuclear-Navy-Graphic-Novel/dp/1453724443/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284424114&sr=1-4

Are you asking us if reading a fictional cartoon story will make you a good nuke? 

Leave the cartoons for kids and start here:  http://www.amazon.com/Rickover-Effect-Inside-Story-Nuclear/dp/0471122963

Good luck.

Offline Tom Vonnegan

• Very Lite User
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've actually seen all those navy videos and just thought what
the heck, some one did a comic book about being a Nuke in the Navy? I'm a big fan of comics and the
Watchmen, and I don't know the calibre of this guy drawing these books, but it looks like its worth checking out, especially when I'm gonna make a life decision if I  try to go nuke instead of advanced electronics. But you're all right about needing to look at other peoples view so I can get more informed on being a nuke before i sign any paperwork, so I've posted the question on a couple other forms.  

Thanks all for your advice.  I'll be talking to you.
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 09:50 by Tom Vonnegan »

Offline Tom Vonnegan

• Very Lite User
And what's the best nukeworker forum to post my question on so I can get the most input from real nukes that may or may not have read the books?  The more information I get, the easier it might be to choose between nuke and Advanced electronics.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I've actually seen all those navy videos and just thought what
the heck, some one did a comic book about being a Nuke in the Navy? I'm a big fan of comics and the
Watchmen, and I don't know the calibre of this guy drawing these books, but it looks like its worth checking out, especially when I'm gonna make a life decision if I  try to go nuke instead of advanced electronics. But you're all right about needing to look at other peoples view so I can get more informed on being a nuke before i sign any paperwork, so I've posted the question on a couple other forms.  

Thanks all for your advice.  I'll be talking to you.

[devious] 100% accurate account of Nuke life.  [devious]

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/hey-shipwreck-episode-2-06/308262432c1ea14ac46d308262432c1ea14ac46d-166511773068?q=Hey%20Shipwreck&FORM=VIRE4

« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 10:06 by Marlin »

Fermi2

I would not advise reading the Rickover effect. It's nothing but all out cheerleading for Rickover much of which has been debunked. I knew te Author and if he could have slept with Rickover he would have. The book is worthless propaganda.

co60slr

I would not advise reading the Rickover effect. It's nothing but all out cheerleading for Rickover much of which has been debunked. I knew te Author and if he could have slept with Rickover he would have. The book is worthless propaganda.
We know your opinion, and it's rejected.

"Te" is actually spelled "the".   Hit the spell checker every now and then...ok?  Mr. God-Nuke of the Dictionary.

co60slr

Hey, Shipwreck!

(so I'm told..) ???

Based on truth or not..still pretty entertaining.. ROFL
One of my fav's...

Offline Tom Vonnegan

• Very Lite User
Thanks for caring enough to respond, guys.  It's nice to know some nukes wanna help out us would be nukes by making sure we don't make the mistake of our lives

so far I've found these books by mark moremoney.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuck-Navy-System-Graphic-Novel/dp/1453712127/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284432456&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Mark%20Moremoney

Any idea which one I should get? I know it won't be Alan Moore's watchmen, but I haven't seen an graphic novels for advanced electronics in the Navy.  I know you real nukes have a better idea of what's the real than some kid still in High School.  I've seen all those navy videos like 10 times, but maybe this will be like simpsons in the navy or something.  Thanks guys.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Yeah Tom,....cartoons make this happen every day; (short answer - no)

at 0:03 a launching of the mighty Regulus missle!  [salute]

co60slr

Thanks for caring enough to respond, guys.  It's nice to know some nukes wanna help out us would be nukes by making sure we don't make the mistake of our lives

so far I've found these books by mark moremoney.

http://www.amazon.com/Fuck-Navy-System-Graphic-Novel/dp/1453712127/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284432456&sr=1-5

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&field-author=Mark%20Moremoney

Any idea which one I should get? I know it won't be Alan Moore's watchmen, but I haven't seen an graphic novels for advanced electronics in the Navy.  I know you real nukes have a better idea of what's the real than some kid still in High School.  I've seen all those navy videos like 10 times, but maybe this will be like simpsons in the navy or something.  Thanks guys.
While I resist the urge to suspect that you're the author trying to push your books, you have your answer here in this thread. 

One of the psychologies that we see here is a newcomer keeps asking the same question over and over again until he/she gets ONE that is acceptable and then runs off.  If that's your intent, then it sounds like you're already made your decision and are waiting to hit "order" in your Amazon shopping cart.  Have fun...again, Marissm has the most articulate conclusion on the comic's "realism".

Your strategy to read comic books to assess/execute life decisions is clearly your choice.   You didn't need our help with the realistic answer.

"Hey, Shipwreck" is free on YouTube.  Don't waste your money on amateur comic books.

Meanwhile, if you're truly doing research, review the threads in the Navy:Getting In threads, and then the threads in the Navy:Getting out.   Assume there's a 6 year duration (i.e., one enlistment contract) between the two and see what people ask/answer in each forum.   While Nukeworker.com is not likely a scientifically statistical sample, you'll get an idea of what goes on in some people's world.

Good Luck.

twinturbo427

If the OP is truly seeking some stylized information on Navy life, I suggest a viewing of "The Incredible Mr. Limpet."  The information may seem a bit dated but the message is still valid.   It follows the Naval career of a shy young man who is transformed into something special to fulfill his duties.

I believe it is available on DVD.   +K

IPREGEN

Hats off to Co60Slr for the nice response. It looks like a spam posting to me also. The books are not sold anywhere else, the pages that Amazon displays are typical of what every crew has put together at one time or another. Thumbs up for trying to make a buck, thumbs down for trying to BS the the site.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Watch the movies Clerks and The Big Lebowski.   They will be as much help as reading a book about how "it really is".
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
[devious] 100% accurate account of Nuke life.  [devious]

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/hey-shipwreck-episode-2-06/308262432c1ea14ac46d308262432c1ea14ac46d-166511773068?q=Hey%20Shipwreck&FORM=VIRE4

ROFLMAO...I love Patrick Hrabe's videos.  He's also friended on my FB.  Great guy, even for a coner.

Or as he portrays nukes, "Damn you, cone!"
Also available in SOBER!

Offline NHSparky

• Light User
This is from the author bio on amazon:

"Mark Moremoney served his time honorably in the U.S Navy, believing he was securing the safety of America by serving his country as a nuclear operator. Instead, he found out he was just a cog in a huge war machine used to enforce global hegemony for private interests. Now, he simply presents the enlisted side of things in graphic novel form."

Sounds like this guy got posted in his rack on a daily basis (if he in fact ever served).  Frankly, I knew a lot of guys who hated the Navy, but this diatribe sounds like it's straight out of the World Can't Wait talking points.
Also available in SOBER!

Fermi2

We know your opinion, and it's rejected.

"Te" is actually spelled "the".   Hit the spell checker every now and then...ok?  Mr. God-Nuke of the Dictionary.

Again, your accomplishments are?

Let's see Rickover.

1: Stole from the government

2: Channeled contracts for gifts.

3: Had a double standard for failure among his chosen few.

4: Nearly cost the USN a 688 Class Boat during Sea Trials.

5: Crushed the idea of a better reactor because he didn't like the designer.

6: Refused to design the plants the USN needed instead believing the USN should design it's ships around his reactors, therefore setting USN Sub Design back 15 years.

Read Running Critical or any of Polmars books to get the true Rickover story.

co60slr

Again, your accomplishments are?
...I try to hit spell checker on my post before critiquing others on their spelling.

If you want to win an argument with me about the nuclear navy, you'll have to do better than referencing books.  While you were busy reading over the years, I was actually in that nuclear navy for two decades.  Keep reading.

If you're looking for me to disagree with you about Rickover, it's unlikely to happen.  The books highlight a history on how the NNPP was built, and I could care less about one man's personality flaws.  His Ego caught up with him one day and his career was sunsetted.

I'm curious for you to compare/contrast the various Rickover books.  I'll see you on your Rickover Thread, if/when you decide to start an intellectual conversation.

Co58

Offline anthonyalsup

• Light User
Okay.  If you are actually looking for an opinion from an ex-Navy Nuke, here it is.  The guy who wrote those books (besides being a horrible writer) is a very typical "FTN" nuke.  You see, just like anything else in life, the Navy is what you make of it.  You can sit around for six years and say, "FTN!  This place is bs," or you can make the best out of the situation you are in.  The Nuclear Navy is full of things that will piss you off.  Guess what?  So is the civilian world!  Being a nuke is one of the most difficult jobs in the Navy.  While the cone is up forward burning flicks and playing cards, you will be back aft running "Nuke drills."  When you pull into port and everyone else is topside hugging their families, you will spend an hour or two shutting down the reactor.  But guess what?  With sacrifice comes success, if you take advantage of it.  While in the Navy, you will make more money than anyone else of your rank.  Oh yeah, did I mention that you will arrive to the boat as an E-4 instead of an E-2 or E-3?  Also, you will have the oppurtunity to get a degree while getting paid, instead of paying your way through college.  Let me put it to you this way.  I did 6 years in the Navy.  I didn't love it and didn't decide to make a career out of it.  But it was the best decision I ever made.  I got out with a bachelor's degree and qualified for a 100K/yr job.  I would say all of the bs was worth it.

If you just sit around and complain about where you are, you will never reap the benefits of where you've been.  That seems to be the case with this individual.  I doubt he will become a best seller with his little cartoons.

JsonD13

The Nuclear Navy is full of things that will piss you off.  Guess what?  So is the civilian world! 

Big difference between the civilian world and the Navy:  If you get too pissed off at the Navy there's not much you can do about it (and most of what you can do to try and fix it will get the ire of your CoC), if you get too pissed off at your civilian job, you can quit (which I know that I would not have troubles finding a job even in this economy).

BTW, I was on the same ship as that author, I think I'm going to buy the books just to humor myself.

Jason

IPREGEN

Alex, I guess the questions is, "What is whining for profit?"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Big difference between the civilian world and the Navy:  If you get too pissed off at the Navy there's not much you can do about it (and most of what you can do to try and fix it will get the ire of your CoC), if you get too pissed off at your civilian job, you can quit (which I know that I would not have troubles finding a job even in this economy).

BTW, I was on the same ship as that author, I think I'm going to buy the books just to humor myself.
Jason
Being able to quit on a whim is one of the biggest BS points that Sailors believe in.

If you're 20 years old still living with mommy and daddy, sure, you can quit a job just because you don't like the 'bs.' But for anyone who rents/owns their own place, likes eating once in a while, and occasionally wants to watch some cable TV, you need to have a job. And the way the economy is right now, finding another job isn't the easiest thing in the world. So before you press the "I quit" button, you need to line something else up...which probably has very similar BS to the job you just quit.

Saying that the Navy has longer hours, less stability in terms of scheduling, time away from family is all true...although most people in civvy world making your salary's equivalent after tax breaks and benefits are accounted for have some or all of the above. However, having to put up with 'bs' at work...that's universal, and once you have responsibilities that require a paycheck you can't just decide to quit your job on a whim.
« Last Edit: Sep 21, 2010, 05:46 by spekkio »

JsonD13

Just to clarify, I am no longer a Sailor and havent been one for more than a year now.

Agreed, there is BS no matter what job you take, however, when and if you have had enough, to make your paycheck not worth it anymore, you CAN quit.  That is something you cannot do in the Navy (without serious reprocussions).  Even if you want to change jobs you have to ask permission.

I still get job offers even though I am very happy in my job, so I know its not too tough to set up something else.  So essentially I can quit on a whim.

I work a 40 hour week, have very high stability, and more time with my family (wife and 4 kids) than I ever did in the Navy.  Plus I make quite a bit more than I did when I was in (30K+ beyond what the stay navy civilian equivalent pay came out to).

So you can see my post is based upon my experience, what experience can you base yourself on?

Jason

Fermi2

...I try to hit spell checker on my post before critiquing others on their spelling.

If you want to win an argument with me about the nuclear navy, you'll have to do better than referencing books.  While you were busy reading over the years, I was actually in that nuclear navy for two decades.  Keep reading.

If you're looking for me to disagree with you about Rickover, it's unlikely to happen.  The books highlight a history on how the NNPP was built, and I could care less about one man's personality flaws.  His Ego caught up with him one day and his career was sunsetted.

I'm curious for you to compare/contrast the various Rickover books.  I'll see you on your Rickover Thread, if/when you decide to start an intellectual conversation.

Co58

Again I do not acknowledge Naval experience as being real nuclear experience. I did 6 years Nuclear Navy then went to the Major Leagues. As for the Rickover Effect it's cartoonish in my view. The fact a guy who I knew from personal experience to be Rickovers cheerleader happened to be the author pretty much said it all to me.

Now I think Rickover did a great job but after the 50s he was an impediment.

Have you read Polmars book? Oddly I don't like it, I found it to be pure character assassination driven by Rickovers refusal to release classified information to him when he wrote his book on the Thresher.

Fermi2

Being able to quit on a whim is one of the biggest BS points that Sailors believe in.

If you're 20 years old still living with mommy and daddy, sure, you can quit a job just because you don't like the 'bs.' But for anyone who rents/owns their own place, likes eating once in a while, and occasionally wants to watch some cable TV, you need to have a job. And the way the economy is right now, finding another job isn't the easiest thing in the world. So before you press the "I quit" button, you need to line something else up...which probably has very similar BS to the job you just quit.

Saying that the Navy has longer hours, less stability in terms of scheduling, time away from family is all true...although most people in civvy world making your salary's equivalent after tax breaks and benefits are accounted for have some or all of the above. However, having to put up with 'bs' at work...that's universal, and once you have responsibilities that require a paycheck you can't just decide to quit your job on a whim.

And your experience in the Civilian world is???

Fermi2

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?

Didn't see that one coming.  I mean he only did 6 years in the Navy and managed to qualify EOOW, go from E4 to O7, invent the comma, get a 4.0 on everything...but to have met Rockwell.  I wasn't impressed before, but now I am.
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Fermi2

Rockwell was on the Nuclear Advisary Board for DTE. The guy was one extremely smart dude. Don't recall ever saying I was an O 7.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
I wasn't impressed before, but now I am.

Remember, you are dealing with the The World's Most Interesting Man! :)

A few short clips of Med cruises past...

Offline anthonyalsup

• Light User

Agreed, there is BS no matter what job you take, however, when and if you have had enough, to make your paycheck not worth it anymore, you CAN quit.  That is something you cannot do in the Navy (without serious reprocussions). 
So you can see my post is based upon my experience, what experience can you base yourself on?

First of all, life is all about choices.  You just have to be willing to accept the consequences.  The only things you have no choice in are to be born and die.

Secondly, my point was not to say that the Navy was better than the civilian world.  Trust me, its not.  My point was that my sacrifice for 6 years in the Navy was well worth it once I got out.

JsonD13

First of all, life is all about choices.  You just have to be willing to accept the consequences.  The only things you have no choice in are to be born and die.

Secondly, my point was not to say that the Navy was better than the civilian world.  Trust me, its not.  My point was that my sacrifice for 6 years in the Navy was well worth it once I got out.

Anthony,
    I got your point.  However, the FTN type nukes probably are the ones who would quit prior to their contract coming up if it wasn't a federal crime.  I do understand that there are people that love to bi*** about their job and that you will run into those type of people no mater where you are.  However, you were in the minority if you made the best of it (at least from my experience of 8 years in the Navy).

Agreed, it definitely is well worth it once you are out.  I too am making way more and have a ton more time off than when I was in the Navy.

I think you might have quoted a different post I made under the same thread, as the one you quoted was in reply to someone else.

Jason

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
....  However, you were in the minority if you made the best of it (at least from my experience of 8 years in the Navy).

Back in the '60's, nukes came from the top 3-5% of the Navy, but then again there was the draft and a war.  Most of the nukes I knew had some college education.  Through power school and prototype, some dropped out, most for psychiatric problems resulting from not being able to cope with the pressure.  Those who otherwise dropped out, got quality assignments to places like Gitmo (not kidding here). 

Once in the fleet, at least on Bainbridge, all qualified within 4-5 months for their senior watch stations and there was no cheating.  We were responsible enough to know that cheating was not only wrong, but hazardous to the plant.

Now there were those, like me, who hated nuclear power, while we were in the minority, we did our jobs.  Most nukes did their six and got out.  One of my buddies got out, got his degree in nuclear engineering and went on to become a startup engineer in Illinois, another got his degree in electrical engineering and also ended up in Illinois, as did three others who went directly into instrumentation.  I became an accountant.  Only one I knew had problems after the Navy, and that was for acute alcoholism.

Now all this said, we were not perfect, things did happen that brought a couple of visits from Rickover, but we were always professional when in the plants.

Just sad to see that with all the bonus money being doled out (which we had none) that things have apparently deteriorated.

Oh, one thing that made life somewhat easier back then was that the Navy, even for nukes, the duty rotation was two years sea duty, two years ashore, then sea duty.  For some, within 6 years, they qualified on prototype sub plants, D2G plants, and the A1W prototype as instructors. 
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

co60slr

Back in the '60's, nukes came from the top 3-5% of the Navy, but then again there was the draft and a war.  Most of the nukes I knew had some college education.  Through power school and prototype, some dropped out, most for psychiatric problems resulting from not being able to cope with the pressure.  Those who otherwise dropped out, got quality assignments to places like Gitmo (not kidding here). 

Once in the fleet, at least on Bainbridge, all qualified within 4-5 months for their senior watch stations and there was no cheating.  We were responsible enough to know that cheating was not only wrong, but hazardous to the plant.

Now there were those, like me, who hated nuclear power, while we were in the minority, we did our jobs.  Most nukes did their six and got out.  One of my buddies got out, got his degree in nuclear engineering and went on to become a startup engineer in Illinois, another got his degree in electrical engineering and also ended up in Illinois, as did three others who went directly into instrumentation.  I became an accountant.  Only one I knew had problems after the Navy, and that was for acute alcoholism.

Now all this said, we were not perfect, things did happen that brought a couple of visits from Rickover, but we were always professional when in the plants.

Just sad to see that with all the bonus money being doled out (which we had none) that things have apparently deteriorated.

Oh, one thing that made life somewhat easier back then was that the Navy, even for nukes, the duty rotation was two years sea duty, two years ashore, then sea duty.  For some, within 6 years, they qualified on prototype sub plants, D2G plants, and the A1W prototype as instructors. 
D1G Main Engine Watch startup.  Good times, my friend!

I wonder if I could still find all those steam traps.  :-)

On a serious note, I believe they had problems back then, and new problems now.  Better or worse?   Perhaps irrelevant, but being a Nuke is still hard work!

Co60

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
And your experience in the Civilian world is???
Does it matter? If you have an issue with something I said, then say it. I'm not going to post my resume on nukeworker.com just to prove something to a stranger.

Fermi2

Does it matter? If you have an issue with something I said, then say it. I'm not going to post my resume on nukeworker.com just to prove something to a stranger.

Yes it matters, if you have none your comments have the same validity as Mickey Mouse telling NASA how to fly a space shuttle.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?