Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice anyone?

Author Topic: Advice anyone?  (Read 10129 times)

Offline tbarner2010

• Very Lite User
Advice anyone?
« on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:42 »
Hello all,

My name is Trey, and I am new to these forums.  Let me start off by saying, I have wanted to work in the nuclear power field for some time.  I am just out of high school, and am preferring not to to go to college.  I live in West Texas, so I'd have to move in order to get a job at a nuclear plant.  I have come to these forums for some help because I believe that there are more people here that can help me than anywhere else on the internet.

Anyways, I need some help: since I have a high school diploma, not a whole lot of experience, and no college degree, is there any way I could go about getting a job/getting my foot in the door in the nuclear industry?  I read up on some jobs that don't require college degrees and one was a nuclear power plant operator. I would like to learn more about this position.  Exactly what are the requirements of that position?  What do you do as an operator?

I realize in this economy with my age (18) and experience/qualifications I'll have quite a struggle to get a job.

Any help is greatly appreciated guys!  

Thank you,

Trey
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2010, 08:43 by tbarner2010 »

Offline Estis

• Light User
Re: Advice anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010, 08:53 »
If you want to get your foot in the door, you could always try to become a Navy Nuke. They take people with your level of experience all the time.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline tbarner2010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010, 11:30 »
Thanks to all those who have replied so far.

I'd be willing to do any kind of work just so I can start out in some kind of entry level position and have the ability to move up.  Preferably in a nuclear power plant, such as Comanche Peak.

Fremont

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:42 »
Back, as they say, in the day, you could.
Not so much anymore.
I work for a large nuke utility, known as The Evil Empire.
All of our technical hires have at least equivalent of an Associate in Science. Most have a B.S. And a B.S. isn't a guarantee. We just had 500 applicants for 10 openings as non-licensed operators, which is Operating Department's entry level position.
We do hire ex-Navy nukes, which are the exception, since you can go into the nav's program right out of high school. A nuke enlistment is at least 6 years (and can easily stretch out when they dangle some re-enlistment bonus in front of you.).
You can't even get into our Facilities Maintenance without some kind of technical training. And you won't go any further than that.

Sorry, but that's life nowadays. Go to school.

Offline crusemm

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:00 »
I know you said you don't want college, but Comanche Peak specifically has an IT program from which they hire into many different levels and positions including operations.  Since you mentioned them specifically I just thought I would let you know.  If I'm not mistaken I believe it's through Tarrelton State in Stephenville.ave a fine [nuke] day
-Matt
Authentic truth is never simple and that any version of truth handed down from on high---whether by presidents, prime ministers, or archbishops---is inherently suspect.-Andrew Bacevich

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:16 »
Men were meant to be on ships
Ships were meant to be at sea
haze grey and underway makes for a Fine Navy Day!
where every day is a holiday
and every meal a feast!

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:54 »
Absolutely,....at the end of ten thousand baby steps you turn around and wonder,"How the 'ell did I get here from there?!?!?!!?",..... ;)

Unbelievably true. Everytime I look at where I'm at my first thought is, How the heck did I go from the WHS Class of 1979 "Guy most likely to serve life in prison" to where I am now. (Though I do acknowledge I'm probably not clear of the life in prison thing yet!)

Stngray

« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 01:42 »
If you want to be a nuke, you need a degree, or you need to put your time in in the navy.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2010, 02:12 »
If you want to be a nuke, you need a degree, or you need to put your time in in the navy.

BS, don't be ignorant. If you have the equivalent of Algebra 2, or Chemistry, or Physics and pass the POSS test you can be an operator at a commercial plant. Get the facts before you answer.

Offline tbarner2010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:16 »
Thanks for the replies guys.  

I wasn't exactly sure how much education nuclear plant operators were required to get.  

I was hoping that there would be a possibility of me getting a job in a nuclear plant if I took it one step at a time.  If I started out in a fossil fuel power plant, working my way up to an operator there, then staying an operator at a fossil fuel plant for a few years (5-10).  Then I was wondering if there was a possibility I could apply for a job at a nuclear plant just to get my foot in the door (some kind of entry-level position), do that for a while, then when a NLO job opens, take that opportunity.  Then work my way up and get licensed.  Sorry...I don't know how the nuclear industry works...but would all those years of experience possibly get me into the nuclear industry and to where I'd like to be?
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 12:17 by tbarner2010 »

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:59 »
Fremont covered that for you.  Normal entry level hires have at least (ie usually more than) an Associate in Science equivalent.  If there are other candidates who appear more qualified (experience/higher degree), they will be more likely to be invited to take the POSS.  As Broadzilla pointed out, you are pretty much "in" if you pass the POSS. 

So what do you do?  You need to make yourself look appealing enough to the Utility for them to invite you to take the POSS.  If you know people at the Utility or Plant, ask them questions about hiring practice and when they schedule their POSS testing.  Ask them what it would take to get invited to take the POSS.  They just might tell you "school and/or experience".  That would just put you back to square one.

You seem to be asking the same question over again.  The answer is that it's not impossible to be hired and advance in the nuclear industry without a degree, but it's not likely.  You may need to seek other sources for entry into fossil.  If there is a fossil based Utility nearby, it doesn't hurt to apply.

"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline tbarner2010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2010, 01:45 »
Xcel Energy, my local utility, was hiring control room operator apprentices for an Amarillo, TX, power plant.  Perhaps I should check that one out.  Thanks for the info guys.

jowlman

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:07 »
How the heck did I go from the WHS Class of 1979 "Guy most likely to serve life in prison" to where I am now. (Though I do acknowledge I'm probably not clear of the life in prison thing yet!)

Broadzilla......just curious because you mention prison, could WHS be Walpole High School?

Offline tbarner2010

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:04 »
Everytime I look at where I'm at my first thought is, How the heck did I go from the WHS Class of 1979 "Guy most likely to serve life in prison" to where I am now. (Though I do acknowledge I'm probably not clear of the life in prison thing yet!)
It almost makes me scared to ask what you're doing in nuclear plants if that was the case!  ;)

Fremont

« Reply #14 on: Nov 09, 2010, 07:09 »
Again, "back in the day", a high school diploma and passing the POSS got you in. We have some 45 year old operators with those qualifications. But not anymore.
All of our new hires at Exelon have at least the equivalent of an Associate's degree, or are ex-Navy nukes.

My son, with a B.S. in Biology and some post-graduate credit hours, passed the POSS and was interviewed along with 25 other people for 10 NLO openings. My fingers are crossed! So the degree and POSS are not a sure thing, but they open the door.

Our last NLO class had 1 Chemist, a Mechanical Engineer, a Biologist, an Astronomer, a guy with a degree in Animal Husbandry (yep, a B.S.) and 5 ex Navy Nukes in it. The class before that was similar, with the only person without Navy or degree was 1 semester short of a BS in Physics.

There are some 2 year programs that are tailored to the industry. Linn State in Missouri has some programs for Operating, RP and Maintenance. There's a college near Toledo Ohio that partners with Davis-Besse.

As an NLO, you are in the licensing path at most utilities. It costs $500K to $1M (depending on who you ask and how they do the accounting) to license each person. We choose our license candidates carefully these days! If you aren't academically inclined, you may want to reconsider your career path. NLO training lasts about a year, License training takes nearly 2 years, and you are back in Training every month and a half for a week of continuing training as an NLO or RO. Lots of studying, lots of tests.

Call the HR department or the Training Department at Commanche Peak or South Texas Project, since you are interested in a Texas utility. Ask them what their requirements are. I think you'll find you need an education. Pretty much any BS technical or science degree, or an Associates that is a good fit. Or the Navy, but that's a whole different story!
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2010, 07:59 by Fremont »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?