Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu DUI entering Nuke program

Author Topic: DUI entering Nuke program  (Read 9206 times)

arestheblue

DUI entering Nuke program
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:00 »
Hi, I passed the ASVAB...97 with my line scores a good 15 points above what I needed. Only problem is that I have a DUI on my record(amended to Neg 1 after treatment and payment) I was wondering if anybody has heard of someone in the nuclear power school who has had a DUI or am I SOL? I also have about 3k debt in collections, but I can pay it off as soon as I sign my paperwork, so I don't think that should effect my security clearance. Thanks!
« Last Edit: Feb 09, 2010, 05:01 by arestheblue »

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
Re: DUI entering Nuke program
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:20 »
Take a look here.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,22635.msg117930.html#msg117930

As far as the debts, you weren't planning on using your bonus money to pay it off were you?  You won't see any of that enlistment bonus until after you graduate Nuclear Power School.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

arestheblue

« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:23 »
Thank you. I can bring this up to my recruiter. And no, I was planning on spending my income tax return on that, I would do it now, but my living expenses are slightly higher than what I make until I join.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:14 »
Thank you. I can bring this up to my recruiter. And no, I was planning on spending my income tax return on that, I would do it now, but my living expenses are slightly higher than what I make until I join.

Coupled with carrying debt, and a recent DUI, you have lots of red flags for the NACI folks. Count on not getting approved. Backup plan/rating?

arestheblue

« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:51 »
I'm open for ideas, the main reason I chose Navy was for the nuclear program, I haven't even really looked at anything else. Ultimately it's about the experiences and educational opportunities. Anyone have a different job that they liked?

Edit: that 3k in collections is how much my total unsecured debt is. If I were to get this job, my wife and I would be making over 100k a year. It's just been tough because I haven't had a very steady job for the last 6 months.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2010, 12:10 by arestheblue »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:03 »
There are plenty of gas turbines in the fleet, and lots of combined cycle gas turbine power plants throughout the US and the world. GSE/GSM should find a utility job easily after EAOS.

Offline jshinevar

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2010, 12:08 »
As far as training and experience is concerned, check out the new IT rating.  I don't know what kind of clearance is required for that.  It seems like it would be quite the field to chose if you wanted entry level IT training.  Just an idea

arestheblue

« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2010, 07:22 »
I took the NAPT and got a 74, 2 weeks later, my waivers came through and I was accepted into the program. I leave May 10(hopefully sooner) Thanks!

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2010, 06:47 »
I took the NAPT and got a 74, 2 weeks later, my waivers came through and I was accepted into the program. I leave May 10(hopefully sooner) Thanks!

Coupled with carrying debt, and a recent DUI, you have lots of red flags for the NACI folks. Count on not getting approved. Backup plan/rating?

Another reason to keep your goals in sight, and don't give up - all advice here is not written in stone.  [2cents]
Good luck, stay focused, congratulations and thanks for your future service.
 [salute]
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

IPREGEN

« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2010, 11:37 »
Congratulations and good luck to you. The DUI may have been considered training for future exploits as a sailor.

johnnyreb

« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2010, 03:49 »
  you would have ben eligible for the rpss job at fernald or the current job at portsmouth provided you were also doing jail time on weekends and for vacation for felony hit and run

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2010, 06:03 »
Be a hard-charger.  Be up-front about your debts and be proactive in paying them off.

Having the DUI is not a death sentence if you're honest and you demonstrate that you are the right person for the job.

If you really feel like being a nuke is the thing you want to do, there is nothing you will lose by giving it the best you possibly can. I entered in with debt and was given clearance with only a minor inconvenience. A friend entered in with a DUI, and though he can't be an officer, he is still excelling as a prototype student because he puts his mind to it, and excellence has its own rewards.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2010, 10:22 »
I'm not 100% sure about not becoming an officer later if you had a pre-enlistment DUI. If you keep your nose clean, and do something (perhaps DAPA counselor), you might be able to turn it around. I haven't seen it personally. I have seen people with ARIs (Alcohol Related Incidents - not DUI type) early on make chief and get selected for officer programs. A lot of it is showing you learned from it.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2010, 07:52 »
I know at least one of the officers most recently selected for CO had a DUI as a young Ensign.

Once you get in, a DUI prior to getting in will have very little impact if your performance speaks for itself.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?