Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu At a crossroads...  

Author Topic: At a crossroads...  (Read 4310 times)

dan78

At a crossroads...
« on: Sep 21, 2010, 12:47 »
I really could use some advice. I'll outline my situation:

- Early separation due to not meeting physical standards in April '07 as ET2
- Qualified RO, SRO, SEO, ESFPO, CPW, Crew's CMG PO as SPU @ SC prototype
- Got hired at a plant in '07 but failed physical due to high heart rate during exertion test
- Out of work/ self employed since then (pc troubleshooting/repair jobs to get by)
- Still owe all my SRB to the Navy
- Have the old MGIB

I'm planning on filing a remission of debt to hopefully clear that SRB debt (any advice on this would be greatly appreciated). Do I have any chance of getting hired at a plant considering I've been unemployed so long? Should I go back to school? And if so, do I go for the Thomas Edison/Excelsior degree or start from scratch on an engineering degree?

I'm just looking for different opinions/advice. I'm kind of lost here as to how to get my life back on track. Thanks.

« Last Edit: Sep 22, 2010, 02:54 by dan78 »

JsonD13

Re: At a crossroads...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2010, 01:14 »
Go to school, switch over to the new GI bill, get a degree in a field that you like/love.

Of course this means you have to be on campus for at least one course.

The new GI bill pays a heck of a lot more than the old though (think E-5 BAH, book stipend, plus all your school paid for).

Get into shape a little bit better (more cardio) so you can pass the physical if you want to work at a plant and keep applying.  Sounds like all you needed was to run/jog/swim a bit more regularly to be able to pass.  The outside world isnt as strict as the Navy, there are people of all shapes and abilities who can pass that physical. 

Otherwise look for a different type of job, there are different physical requirements for each type.  Maybe being a part of the fire brigade (aka. Ops) isnt going to be your cup of tea.

Jason

dan78

« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2010, 03:15 »
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

mostlyharmless

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2010, 10:16 »
Go see a physician. Get in better shape. It will all be irrelevant if you die. Get your body on the right path. It sounds like you are a bright man and can do a lot with your experience, just take care of your health.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?