Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Type of Discharge honeypot

Author Topic: Type of Discharge  (Read 5529 times)

RadConMath

Type of Discharge
« on: Sep 28, 2010, 05:36 »
Hello everyone,
    I have searched the forums and cannot find information that directly describes my situation so I am asking advice.  I was in the Navy for 7 years (ELT) and was inadvertently drugged one night while drunk (I know that it was a big mistake to drink in excess and this poor decision led to my situation) with cocaine.  I was summarily discharged with an OTH (with my CoC not even caring about my side).  I would still like to work in the nuclear industry and was looking to get in as a HP Tech.  I called Bartlett up to try and get into a plant, but based on my type of discharge I was told I must wait at least a year and be evaluated as not using drugs or being addicted to them.  I understand that if I am a drug user I have to go to treatment prior to being allowed access, but is a year waiting period normal for the industry?  Could I possibly get in somewhere before then?

I would really like to say thank you in advance for your advice, even though I will probably be flamed out.

bigdog46

Re: Type of Discharge
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2010, 07:26 »
Per email phbtravel@msn.com for some assistance.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2010, 08:22 »
You will be lucky even after a year to get on anywhere.  You may have to take a job no one else wants or there is a big outage season, even then they will scrape the bottom of the barrel only if they have to and you will be considered the crud on the bottom of the barrel, after a lot of bottom of the barrel scraping.  Just being honest. but if you get in  do your best and you will move up to the upper teir of the bottom of the barrel.  DOE may take you uncleared. You may want to start there. Nuclear utilities would be a very long shot until you show progress.

co60slr

« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:06 »
I was in the Navy for 7 years (ELT) and was inadvertently drugged one night while drunk (I know that it was a big mistake to drink in excess and this poor decision led to my situation) with cocaine.  I was summarily discharged with an OTH (with my CoC not even caring about my side). 
I'm happy to see you getting some good advice on "going forward".   You have to put food on your table...somehow.

Meanwhile, may I add (from a nuclear perspective) an alternative to your two sentences here?   It's time to take responsibility.  Frankly, I don't believe your story either, but that is irrelevant.  A nuke takes responsibility for mistakes and I suggest a full disclosure in the future.   Perhaps something like this:

"I allowed myself to be in a situation where I was not in control.  Honestly, my alcohol use was out of control that night and I have no recollection of the events.   Obviously, there was cocaine in my system and the Navy did the only thing that could...they had to let me go.   Meanwhile, I have taken responsibility for my actions to ensure that in the future I will ALWAYS be in control, as a professional nukeworker should.  I have been through counseling for my alcohol usage to ensure that won't happen again.  I understand that I allowed myself to be in a situation/environment that a professional nuke should NOT be in and I've learned my lesson."

Good Luck.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2010, 02:33 »
I'm happy to see you getting some good advice on "going forward".   You have to put food on your table...somehow.

Meanwhile, may I add (from a nuclear perspective) an alternative to your two sentences here?   It's time to take responsibility.  Frankly, I don't believe your story either, but that is irrelevant.  A nuke takes responsibility for mistakes and I suggest a full disclosure in the future.   Perhaps something like this:

"I allowed myself to be in a situation where I was not in control.  Honestly, my alcohol use was out of control that night and I have no recollection of the events.   Obviously, there was cocaine in my system and the Navy did the only thing that could...they had to let me go.   Meanwhile, I have taken responsibility for my actions to ensure that in the future I will ALWAYS be in control, as a professional nukeworker should.  I have been through counseling for my alcohol usage to ensure that won't happen again.  I understand that I allowed myself to be in a situation/environment that a professional nuke should NOT be in and I've learned my lesson."

Good Luck.

I had similar thoughts.  If I were drugged, the first thing I would do is go to the police and have a report made. 

JsonD13

« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:15 »
What if this the OP didn't know that he/she was "drugged" until he/she popped on a test?  It could have been plausible if the OP was that drunk to not realize that they were taking drugs into their system that they could wake up from the drunken stupor without ever knowing drugs were involved.  After the positive results were released to the command, would the command have brought him/her in and kept him away from the police (aka restriction) prior to the OP being able to inform authorities?

Not condoning or allowing excuses, just wondering.

Jason

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:24 »
BS, no way was he/she inadvertently drugged. Just an excuse.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?