Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My first outage...Any advice?

Author Topic: My first outage...Any advice?  (Read 52460 times)

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: My first outage...Any advice?
« Reply #25 on: Jun 27, 2006, 11:57 »
WIPE and FOLD.... WIPE and FOLD......Learn how to decon properly and you will become an instant asset (A good deconner is very hard to come by now days).
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

alphadude

« Reply #26 on: Jun 27, 2006, 12:01 »
save every cent you can... avoid the RAT syndrome (fancy women and big watches)  start a 401 k

Fermi2

« Reply #27 on: Jun 27, 2006, 01:37 »
Don't step on Deconner's Mops!

This advice is as priceless and timeless and to the point as it gets!

Mike

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #28 on: Jun 29, 2006, 07:31 »
save every cent you can... avoid the RAT syndrome (fancy women and big watches)  start a 401 k

or big women and fancy watches.... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

vinman

« Reply #29 on: Jun 30, 2006, 07:09 »
I would like to add that always listen to techs about jobs coming up.  SInce you worked at Duke ,you should know that they dont pay the best, but there are alot of outages  between the three sites, a good way to stay busy and pick up time.  I started as  a deconner for Mcquire for 3 and a half years before I went on  the road.  I know most of the techs in the Duke system.  My sister is a house tech a Mcquire.    Deconners at Duke take their job serious.  Unlike the previous advice, try and get into the higher contamination jobs(Cavity, pressure washing and sump clean outs.)  This is the worst of the worst but if you prevail and do well the lead techs like to see that and this may get you other jobs on the road.   Name is everything.  A good name gets around which leads to higher paying jobs. Dont loose your self respect and maintain your dose ALARA. After about a year or two and about three or four cavity decon's, head to Jr hp land.  This, in the long run will make you the most money.  I was a deconner for 10   years before I became an  HP and now a house tech.  I wish I would have switched earlier. As for housing, group up if you can.  car pool when possible. Above all dont be afraid to ask questions and learn.  Once you experienced some of the more difficult jobs then its all the same. Hope this helps. 

Vinnie   

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Jun 30, 2006, 02:40 »
or big women and fancy watches.... ;)

or men and stores that may have watches in them

Offline nuke_girl

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #31 on: Jul 01, 2006, 12:08 »
Listen and Learn..and dont forget to drink extra water and gatorade..the heat can really suprise you..
It is better to light one small candle..than to curse the darkness

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #32 on: Jul 01, 2006, 11:20 »
Best advice: Hit the lottery and you won't have to go to an outage.....ever

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #33 on: Jul 01, 2006, 10:20 »
itza sad whirled nucleer or udderwiz when alla advise ista stay outa da bars, 'n dahnt partee, 'n dahnt mess wit da wimmen, 'n dahnt goe awt two eet..... sheessh!  watts a parson two due dees daze?  yinz take alla that advice, 'n yu'd probably make moor monee as a preechar!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline JessJen

• Heavy User
« Reply #34 on: Jul 02, 2006, 10:32 »
Best advice: Hit the lottery and you won't have to go to an outage.....ever

or become daves best friend when he hits it ;)

Offline starving_dog

• Moderate User
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #35 on: Jul 03, 2006, 10:36 »
Don't swim in the pool! ;D
There are the Habs, and the Hab nots.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #36 on: Jul 03, 2006, 04:24 »
become generally familiar with the relative risk of occupational radiation exposure...establish a working knowledge of plant systems, what they do, where they are located, when they are used and what their relative radiological hazard levels are...learn, and anticipate, the sequence of steps involved in a refueling and maintenance outage at a commercial light water power reactor...be able to answer the questions-how many plants are there in the country-where are they located-how often do they have to be refueled-what happens to the radioactive waste-how old are these plants-how safe are they- and most importantly - how do these plants work...

this may well turn into a career of many years and a source of pride...understanding will be of great value...

illegalsmile

« Reply #37 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:36 »
1) Move fast, stay low
2) Don't drink anything you find in the RA/RCA
3) Suck up to the RPM and the Site CoOrdinator
4) Suck up to the Union
5) Suck up to the House Supervisors
6) Suck up to the Recruiters
7) Don't take ANY advice you get in NukeWorker.com

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Jul 05, 2006, 08:49 »
WTF?

illegalsmile

« Reply #39 on: Jul 05, 2006, 09:32 »
OK, so maybe some of that was tounge-in-cheek. Sorry, Mike.

Industry_event

« Reply #40 on: Jul 06, 2006, 08:08 »
Always ask for the really hot nasty jobs! When it goes to crap you can always look at them and say "what did you except?" If it goes good, you'll be a Hero. But prepare yourself to be tech "A".

R2E2

« Reply #41 on: Sep 23, 2007, 10:28 »
1) Move fast, stay low
2) Don't drink anything you find in the RA/RCA
3) Suck up to the RPM and the Site CoOrdinator
4) Suck up to the Union
5) Suck up to the House Supervisors
6) Suck up to the Recruiters

This is by far the worst advice I have seen posted on this site. Dont suck anything, ever. Let your work speak for itself. Show up every day early. Dont screw around. Do your job and learn as much as you can. Suck ups only go so far, and they get no respect from their co-workers.

Smoke another one illegalsmile

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #42 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:05 »
WTF?
Professional--remember the kids.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #43 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:13 »
Professional--remember the kids.

And if the kids know what WTF means...thay ain't kids :P
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

justatech

« Reply #44 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:29 »
No kidding to all the recent posts..........I had not seen this one.....................
Good advice.......as a Jr Tech...learn you job........ask questions.......work with Sr Techs .......ask questions............don't hide in the trailer............MOST OF ALL..........SAVE YOUR MONEY...............it may be a lot to you at first........but it is not enough in the end............72 or 84 hrs - try to pay your home town bills on 40 plus the road - maybe a little per diem to pay the road but save the rest............unemployment is around the corner .........as a Jr Tech and even a Sr .......you don't know how soon..............but your JR time is sooner than mine......................

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #45 on: Sep 24, 2007, 08:35 »
No kidding to all the recent posts..........I had not seen this one.....................
Good advice.......as a Jr Tech...learn you job........ask questions.......work with Sr Techs .......ask questions............don't hide in the trailer............MOST OF ALL..........SAVE YOUR MONEY...............it may be a lot to you at first........but it is not enough in the end............72 or 84 hrs - try to pay your home town bills on 40 plus the road - maybe a little per diem to pay the road but save the rest............unemployment is around the corner .........as a Jr Tech and even a Sr .......you don't know how soon..............but your JR time is sooner than mine......................
Great advice, your day will come.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

rekrowekun

« Reply #46 on: Aug 10, 2008, 09:14 »
Old timer told me
 - On the first day work like hell
   -in between doesn't matter
 - On the last day work like hell

Eval- he was working coming and going he must be alright!!

Hereinnc

« Reply #47 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:14 »
Don't suck up it doesn't pay in the end.  Do your job, do whats asked for, ask questions, but don't become annoying, following instructions from your supervision.  ALWAYS be on time for work, stay until the end of the day and the end of the outage, stay away from the bar scene, and watch your tone with everybody.  Act like a professional and don't be stupid.  Don't be afraid of any job that you are asked to do, but use common sense.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #48 on: Aug 12, 2008, 08:37 »
Attidude, Attidude, Attidude,

there were a few times when having a good attitude saved my job when i made a mistake. If you are a d*** then supervisors will have no problem getting rid of you at the first sign of trouble.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #49 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:39 »
Don't suck up it doesn't pay in the end.  Do your job, do whats asked for, ask questions, but don't become annoying, following instructions from your supervision.  ALWAYS be on time for work, stay until the end of the day and the end of the outage, stay away from the bar scene, and watch your tone with everybody.  Act like a professional and don't be stupid.  Don't be afraid of any job that you are asked to do, but use common sense.

I agree with all of that, EXCEPT the bar scene.
I have made more friends and done more networking at bars and golf courses and bowling alleys than anywhere else in this industry. Meeting people and shaking hands with strangers in these places has gone a long way.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?