Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My first outage...Any advice?  

Author Topic: My first outage...Any advice?  (Read 52457 times)

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: My first outage...Any advice?
« Reply #50 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:24 »
I agree with all of that, EXCEPT the bar scene.
I have made more friends and done more networking at bars and golf courses and bowling alleys than anywhere else in this industry. Meeting people and shaking hands with strangers in these places has gone a long way.

Holy Cr**! I'm agreeing with Dave Warren!!!

Something I had to learn late in my career, I always thought my resume should speak for itself. But when it starts to look the same as everybody else's then networking will get you more jobs in the long run.

right now, just starting out, its not a huge factor, mostly you'll be just filling a "body slot". But remember, the relationships you cultivate today can and will affect you in the future.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

vikingfan

« Reply #51 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:48 »
Holy Cr**! I'm agreeing with Dave Warren!!!

remember, the relationships you cultivate today can and will affect you in the future.

I couldn't agree with you more ! no one is saying to kiss up to the shift leads, project managers etc. but beyond haing a great work ethic. if you are attentive to you job, couteous to fellow workers, willing to help others and listen to whats going on you will be successfull !! also when it comes to PM's, crew leads be friendly etc and that alone can impact your future for the positive ! make friendships that will last for years to come.

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #52 on: Aug 12, 2008, 10:52 »
Get used to it, Smart People.
When you are 4 cubicles away from me, I will rub off on you.
Either that or walk down there and beat your %^@#!$%!!!

He who refuses to embrace a unique opportunity loses the prize as surely as if he had failed.

If you never give yourself that opportunity to go to that party or play in that golf scramble or join that bowling league, you never give yourself that chance to meet that person you wished you would have 15 years down the road.

Hereinnc

« Reply #53 on: Aug 12, 2008, 11:54 »
When I mentioned the bar scene I guess it was taken literally.  What I meant was don't let yourself get so involved with the drinking aspects that you forget when you should leave to be able to get to work on time, safely do your job, and demonstrate that you are a professional.  Dave you are right networking is very important in our business but it also involves how you network.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #54 on: Aug 13, 2008, 12:02 »
yinz wanna lern networking, go sell used cars.  ya wanna due outages, git each job dun, keep dune da job write, gitcher sleep (knot in yer car!), 'n repete.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

shovelheadred

« Reply #55 on: Aug 13, 2008, 06:53 »
...Yea, what Dave Warren said...I agree.....red

Offline fueldryer

• Heavy User
  • Call Before You Dig !
« Reply #56 on: Aug 13, 2008, 07:50 »
1) Move fast, stay low
2) Don't drink anything you find in the RA/RCA
3) Suck up to the RPM and the Site CoOrdinator
4) Suck up to the Union
5) Suck up to the House Supervisors
6) Suck up to the Recruiters
7) Don't take ANY advice you get in NukeWorker.com
Is that the way you do it?
Call Before You Dig!

30378wby

« Reply #57 on: Nov 07, 2008, 09:00 »
While most of the site consider Operations hopelessly lost primadonnas, I can say that in almost 30 years of experience, we want to hear about stuff that doesn't look right or stuff that doesn't seem to be performing properly.  We are very grateful for observations of plant operation that is anomalous.  We want anyone to feel free to ask us if there seems to be a problem.  We are inquisitive by nature and if one operator seems to blow you off ask the next one and I can pretty much guarantee that both of them won't both blow you off.  If you want recognition we will give it, if not we won't tell anyone about who said something.  The most important thing is that we want the most junior person to let us know if they see something that isn't right.  And I am sure that I am in for blasting from some who got hammered for reporting but in the end I would prefer that everyone feel free to talk to us.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?