Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu REM-500 Neutron Survey Meter (FarWest Technology)

Author Topic: REM-500 Neutron Survey Meter (FarWest Technology)  (Read 25060 times)

Offline RP Instructor

• Moderate User
  • Those who "can", "do", and go on to teach others.
Folks:

I'm in need of some input on the REM-500 Neutron Survey Meter from folks that have used the instrument. The type of input I'm looking for is:
a. What did you think of the instrument?
b. What are the "pros" and "cons" of the instrument?
c. How would you compare it to the REM-Ball?

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
Re: REM-500 Neutron Survey Meter (FarWest Technolo
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:34 »
Here are some of the obvious:

Pros

1) Light weight.
2) Has self source check.
3) Compact.

Neg

1) I always liked to see a needle responding to an increase than a digital readout.
2) Rem 500 will not help you to get big muscles!

Unknown

1) I have never used at power plant only at DOE facility. I know that the rem balls worked fine when I used them at the power plants.
2) Costs: I have not compared the two.

I hope this helps alittle.

moke

« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2004, 10:52 »
Summer School Teacher,

Be sure that the Neutron Detection device will cover the Neutron Energy Spectrum specified by your facility.

Have an Awesome Week,

Moke

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2004, 06:54 »
The REM500 is better than the RemBall for detecting neutron streaming thru bioshields at BWRs. They are a helluvalot lighter, and once you get used to the display, are real comfortable to use.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Druid

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2004, 03:30 »
They are light weight and the digital display automatically switches range. But they cost 3 to 4 times what a rem ball costs.

They do have an attached source (Cm-244 alpha, about 1 microCurie) which checks the energy calibration of the unit. the meter basically is a neutron spectroscopy unit, it catagorizes each neutron event by energy and applies the appropriate quality factor.

The problem with the attached source is that it is a source, so the whole unit has to be controlled as radioactive material.

I have only used them at DOE non-reactor facilities and with the number and types of surveys we have done a rem ball would have been just as good and saved alot of money. BUT if you are doing a lot of surveys and/or having to hold the unit in various positions for extended times (like shield surveys) then the REM 500 may be worth the extra cost.

McCrank

« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2004, 08:09 »
The facility I work at purchased five units and put them into service about a year ago. We are currently down to one working unit. They are nice to carry but don't seem to be as durable as the the old Ball of Bear Fat. ;)

Scorpio51

Re: REM-500 Neutron Survey Meter (FarWest Technology)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2007, 11:45 »
We have one at HNP.  Nice and light compared with a remball.  Works great for spent fuel shipments.  We've tried it in the RCB at power and it doesn't like the heat. 

Silverthorn28

« Reply #7 on: Aug 26, 2010, 11:04 »
The facility I work at purchased five units and put them into service about a year ago. We are currently down to one working unit. They are nice to carry but don't seem to be as durable as the the old Ball of Bear Fat. ;)

I share with you on this. The REM-500 is really prone to damage.
Our people tend to like Ludlum 2363 with a Prescila probe.

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #8 on: Aug 26, 2010, 12:56 »
a. What did you think of the instrument?

Light weight easy to use not to durable

b. What are the "pros" and "cons" of the instrument?

Pros (see A) plus I also believe its spectral

Cons (see A) plus because of the cal source Cf 252 in some plant neutron spectrum's it may not give an accurate reading (or thats what I have heard)

It does contain an optional Cm 244 internal check source so it has to be handled as ram and shipped as such

It contains propane gas in the detector but I have also heard this is not a shipping issue but have seen no documentation which supports that.

c. How would you compare it to the REM-Ball?

The ball is heavy the 500 is not.

The ball has a susceptibility to static build up that makes the needles go Nana's the 500 is digital

The ball has a Bf3 detector which is classified as a poisonous gas there is suppose to be some DOT exemption for the detector but again I have not seen one, the 500 if equipped with the source is class 7 without considering the propane

hope that helps

sf

Offline Boilermaker

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2010, 08:55 »
Pros: Light weight, easy to use, has been in industry over 10+ years.

Cons: digital display, very shock sensitive, but can be mitigated by "zero-ing" it.  If bumped, it can jump real fast and high, but like I said, you can zero it to start over.  Nice backlit (25 seconds) and good integrate modes.  Newer models are now called Rem500B and check sources are no longer being sold attached to meter. 

My 0.02
In my opinion, this meter is not a replacement for the remball, but an addition or side-by-side companion to it.  We use it as a backup to the remball or when entering fields that are known/routine b/c of its light weight, compare to lugging the 18 lbs remball.  Also when implementing any new instrument, it's always an uphill battle to get everyone on board into using it over something that they have used pretty much all their career.  Hope this helps.     

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2014, 12:31 »
Is there anyone that has a working procedure for this instrument that I can have?
I have heard that Ginna and Nine Mile have one.
Can anyone help?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2014, 01:34 »
Is there anyone that has a working procedure for this instrument that I can have?
I have heard that Ginna and Nine Mile have one.
Can anyone help?

Writing your own or heavy plagiarizing?

If the former start here,...

http://www.fwt.com/hpi/support/REM500B_REVB3.PDF

If the later, cut me a PO and I'll do it for you,.... ;)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline nickscott13

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Apr 10, 2014, 11:09 »
Correct me if I am wrong, but is the Rem 500 the instrument with a 10 second, 30 second, and 60 second count time with the 60 second being the most accurate of the 3?

We (DAEC) used these for our last Dry Cask Storage campaign and actually went back to using the Rem Ball because we were picking up too much dose trying to get accurate Neutron dose rates on loaded casks.  Sure they were light weight, but you had to take 1 minute readings 13 times per cask, causing us to pick up way to much dose.  The rem ball response time is 5-10 seconds and was much more ALARA.

We borrowed them from a sister plant and sent them right back after the campaign and said we would never use them again.  For day to day neutron surveys they would probably work great, they just arent very ALARA.

Nick

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2014, 07:19 »
The house wants to use them in conjunction with the Rem Ball, I am told. We are using them for Dry Cask also.

Offline SpyCat

• Light User
  • RPT since 1984
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2019, 02:20 »
At SONGS' ISFSI, techs didn't like that Remballs would "click" in areas that should have zero neutrons.  Since there were never-used REM500s on the shelf, I saw to get these recalibrated & put into service.  I recommend using protective padding on the meter for doinks during field use.
The REM500 is way accurate, but you get best survey data from 2 minute Integrate Mode counts; data is not so reproducible when using its Dose Rate mode though.  Since ISFSI surveys require numerous points it was not time-effective nor ALARA for the techs to use its integrate mode for surveys. 
Alas, the fuel transfer at SONGS was suspended (Fall 2018) not long after we started using the REM500 there. ::)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?