Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Engineering at Plant Hatch

Author Topic: Engineering at Plant Hatch  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Bud1Bud

• Very Lite User
Engineering at Plant Hatch
« on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:19 »
What sort of life can I look forward to as an Engineer at Plant Hatch?

I have never worked in a nuclear plant before, so I was stunned (and honored) to get the job offer.

What is the salary growth like?
What sort of developmental career paths are available?

Will I be able to leverage a year or two of experience at Hatch into something more high paying elsewhere or even at Hatch?

Should I run toward it or run away?

Pman52

Re: Engineering at Plant Hatch
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010, 01:01 »
Just out of curiousity, what type of engineering position?  Field, mechanical, civil?  I would be honored to be offered a job with such a competitive job market these days.  The nearest towns around Hatch are very small and rural.  I would imagine the cost of living is very affordable for that area.

Just my .02, I would definitely consider taking the position if it were me.

Offline tr

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Engineering at Plant Hatch
« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:52 »
(Disclaimer - I don't work at Hatch or for Progress)
Generally, an engineer at a nuclear plant will get a salary that is the same or higher than the other engineering scales in the utility.  The utility pay scales I have seen (I've worked at two utilities) were at the upper half of the ranges you see in online estimates (salary.com, etc.).  Utility benefits are typically very good compared to the private sector as a whole.

As far as job opportunities, your options are pretty much unlimited as far as the utility goes, depending on your interests and skills.  The closer you are to operations (Ops versus Shift Technical Adviser, STA versus system engineer, system engineer versus design engineer) the more jobs on site you will be qualified for.  Most utilities have internal job postings, where you can transfer from one group to another.  A technical understanding of the plant (which you get through engineering) will never hurt you in your career (it may not help, but it certainly won't hurt in the nuclear field).  Some companies will also pay at least partial tuition for a MS/MBA degree if you want to go that route.

Between the upcoming wave of retirements, and the potential for some new plants to be built, there should be plenty of opportunities for a young engineer to do well in the next decade or two.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?