Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Alpha and Bravo honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Alpha and Bravo  (Read 21016 times)

Offline Tonedeff

• Lurker
Nuke Alpha and Bravo
« on: Oct 13, 2010, 03:34 »
I was just informed by my recruiter that Nukes are classified as either Nuke-A (autoqualified according to ASVAB scores) and Nuke-B (didn't autoqualifiy). Is this true? Because she also said the Navy is accepting Nuke-B's right now, which would suck for me :/

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nuke Alpha and Bravo
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010, 05:15 »
How is that bad for you? If you want to be a nuke, you have a better chance now. If you don't then it doesn't matter, don't sign up to be one.

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2010, 05:19 »

My son took the ASVAB once, scored a 99th percentile on the ASVAB but the line score total needed for NF was a couple points under so they made him  take the NAPT  and score at least a 50 out of 80.  He scored 69 on the NAPT  so he is in.  If your own test scores are acceptable you will get in, if not you will not, so why  worry about the other guy? 

To answer your question I guess that makes him a Bravo  and yes he is in the program, leaving for boot camp in 8 weeks.

Dad of a 22 year old ETN.

Offline Tonedeff

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2010, 05:45 »
I'm sorry. When i meant they aren't accepting Nuke-B's. Sorry.

And crewjobs, if that's the case then thank god. And thank you

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2010, 08:19 »
Good luck to you, son.

I know from reading this forum a lot of the guys  here had to take the nuke exam to enter the Navy nuclear field and they passed the nuke exam,  and did fine in the Navy.  That is why they have two tests not just the ASVAB exam.

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2010, 01:55 »
Tonedeff: based on our son's experience last winter, I suspect that the required scores/waiver situation/etc. changes almost weekly; it's the Needs of the Navy! Unless you have a saint of a recruiter, you'll have to be very proactive. And be prepared to wait. Our son was in DEP for about 10 months and based on other posts here and elsewhere 9-10 months seems about average for nukes.

Greetings crewjobs_too! Our son went to RTC Sept. 21 and we got a call from him last Sunday with some mildly amusing Nuke related tidbits:

1) If you score a "high 99" chances are your RDC will announce that fact to the whole division. You will then be called "Nuke" regardless of how many other future nukes are in the division (7 in his). Our son only managed to shake the name by having his wisdom teeth removed and swelling up like a chipmunk with a load of nuts - his new nick-name is apparently "Theodore" as awarded by one of his RDCs.
2) In addition to the regular "moment of truth", future nukes also get a "special" personal interview with a nuke senior chief. So if you have one of the recruiters who's been telling you not to bother mentioning that speeding ticket or whatever, do yourself a favor and push to get the paperwork done before you go. Those Chiefs can apparently waiver almost anything on their own authority, but I gather that making a Chief do extra paperwork is almost always a bad idea.

Unrelated to nukes but good to know: If you go to the bathroom at O'Hare, be sure to load up on water before you leave. If you're dry at the drug test, you get to drink water and march around for a couple hours which is obviously both embarassing and not very much fun (as is most of the first few days).

Thank your son for his service and MANY thanks to the rest of the folks who post here.

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:03 »
I'm sorry. When i meant they aren't accepting Nuke-B's. Sorry.

And crewjobs, if that's the case then thank god. And thank you

It is true that they are not accepting Nuke-B's at this time. My recruiter was talking about it with me. Apparently there was some problem with the NAPT, and as a result the test is not being offered at this time. Only auto-quals are going nuke as of right now. No one knows when the NAPT will be offered again.

edit: Clarity
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 08:31 by Estis »
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline NapoleonMikey

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:39 »
Tonedeff: based on our son's experience last winter, I suspect that the required scores/waiver situation/etc. changes almost weekly; it's the Needs of the Navy!

So very true. I had to wait 2 months before I could DEP in because they ended up getting to many nukes. I auto Qualified too. So my suggestion is if its what you really want to do stick out the wait if not im sure your recruiter will be more then happy to try and get you to be a linguist.

Offline crewjobs_too

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2010, 01:27 »

I found out later from my son that he had auto-qualified for nuclear field because of his ASVAB exam scores (apparently that makes him an Alpha, I was wrong before) but they made all the recruits at MEPS come back the next week and take the NAPT exam anyway. Later when the recruiter came to our house to explain the DEP program we learned that the Boston MEPS facility   (which serves eastern Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island)  had only accepted  two nuclear candidates that month.   Maybe they had used the NAPT as a tie-breaker, who knows.   

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:47 »
Don't let the navy's current situation make your career decision, I am sure your recruiter is pushing you to take another job, but unless you are in dire need for a job (depending on your home situation I guess) stick it out and get the job you want.
Mechanic

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:51 »
Well, Tonedeff, it looks like they are accepting Nuke-Bravo's again. I just talked with my recruiter and new guidelines have come out regarding the test and qualifications standards. Check with your recruiter to get more info. Good luck.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

DarrenE

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2010, 05:54 »
This is new, real new. I took the NAPT around August 26th or so (scored 89 ASVAB and 65 on NAPT) and I still got my contract.  I'm not surprised though, I heard there are A LOT of new kids signing up for Nuke, seeing as it was one of the only jobs available at MEPS during that time. Thats changed though in the past couple of months in October and November kids are getting all sorts of jobs and only have to wait a minimum of 1 month before they ship off! (not really fair, hoping to get my ship date moved myself)
Anyways, sorry to hear that. I guess I was one of the last Bravo's guess that means I have to give it that extra boost in the Pipeline to avoid discrimination loll.

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2010, 11:12 »
I guess I was one of the last Bravo's guess that means I have to give it that extra boost in the Pipeline to avoid discrimination loll.

Don't worry about discrimination, they'll have the same opinion of all the baby-nukes: useless until qualified.

Offline Fadge

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2010, 01:18 »
I think it was the time period. My recruiter told me that sept-oct they don't give out many nuke jobs because of the new year? I am not sure on that, but it could have been the case.

bob87bob

« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:51 »
I got my contract on Oct. 4th.  I had been waiting since the beginning of August.  I took the NAPT about two weeks after going to MEPS.  I'm not sure if I was classified as an A or B, I did meet the line scores but was told it was necessary to take the NAPT due to the fact that I haven't taken a math class in 7 years.

Offline Rock Chalk Jayhawk

• Light User
  • Stay positive, and love your life!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2010, 12:15 »
There are different reasons to take the NAPT. Time since math, non-traditional education waiver, and non auto qualifying line scores are the 3 main reasons. If you have a NUC or EL line score composite of 252 or more: You're an alpha...period. Just taking the test doesn't change your line scores-you're still an alpha. That, however, only means something to the recruiting commands. It's nothing to really concern yourself with. Just prepare to study like crazy in school and do what you're told...you'll succeed.

Rock Chalk!
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Offline maroon33

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2010, 08:44 »
I agree with Jayhawk. This is some new recruiting classification that doesn't affect your future past boot camp as far as i know. I'm in MM A-school right now and have heard nothing about an alpha or bravo. I would assume that if you get accepted you're accepted and if you're given a date to ship to RTC, you will get orders to NNPTC following boot camp. Good Luck!

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2010, 07:52 »
I agree with Jayhawk. This is some new recruiting classification that doesn't affect your future past boot camp as far as i know. I'm in MM A-school right now and have heard nothing about an alpha or bravo. I would assume that if you get accepted you're accepted and if you're given a date to ship to RTC, you will get orders to NNPTC following boot camp. Good Luck!

Right on with this assumption, but be careful when using that word. ;)

+K
"A shortcut's a self defeating means.  If you cannot do it clean, you'll never reach your reward. And when the day is done, what you receive is the sum of what you took out from what you put in." ~311

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2010, 02:49 »
Paint me shocked if they ever turn down someone qualified nuke for it.  :o

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:17 »
Paint me shocked if they ever turn down someone qualified nuke for it.  :o

For being a Bravo?  They do...all the time.  Maybe they are eventually able to get in, but they have to wait around forever for a Bravo seat to open up.  I had to hold off on a lot of people just because their NUC and/or EL scores were no higher than a 251.

Rock Chalk

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:19 »
For being a Bravo?  They do...all the time.  Maybe they are eventually able to get in, but they have to wait around forever for a Bravo seat to open up.  I had to hold off on a lot of people just because their NUC and/or EL scores were no higher than a 251.

Rock Chalk

Guess I dont understand the "Bravo" thing then.   Sounds like someone who was "almost" good enough, but wasnt?  Enlighten me! :D haha

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:55 »
Guess I dont understand the "Bravo" thing then.   Sounds like someone who was "almost" good enough, but wasnt?  Enlighten me! :D haha

The main idea behind "A" and "B" nuke recruitment is that their historical data has shown that "A" nukes (Auto-quals) have a higher success rate for completing the training pipeline than "B" nukes.  In fact, once you get below a 235 NUC or EL score, the success rates drop off considerably.  With that in mind, recruiting commands are only permitted to put in a specified number of "B"s in each month.  The rest of their goal MUST be "A"s.  This is done across the nation in order to populate NNPTC/NPTU with quality students that are worth the risk.  Also, their A/B status comes into play if they have civil or academic waivers needed as well.  Again, this is due to the "whole person concept" and the total risk of them not finishing the pipeline due to existing historical precedent.  Now, when an applicant is right on the approve/disapprove line (even just over the disapprove line, at times),  the waiver authority will contact the applicant directly and do a one-on-one phone interview before the final verdict is decided.  Once the applicant becomes a Depper (or "Future Sailor" as they're called now), none of this stuff matters one iota.  The only thing he/she needs to focus on at that point is to: 

1) Stay OUT of trouble and AWAY from poor influences
2) Ensure they are physically ready for the rigors of RTC
3) Get through RTC as efficiently as possible
4) Study their butts off and continue to monitor #1 throughout the training pipeline and their naval career.

Thanks to all for putting up with my [soap]

Rock Chalk

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2010, 05:23 »
The main idea behind "A" and "B" nuke recruitment is that their historical data has shown that "A" nukes (Auto-quals) have a higher success rate for completing the training pipeline than "B" nukes.  In fact, once you get below a 235 NUC or EL score, the success rates drop off considerably.  With that in mind, recruiting commands are only permitted to put in a specified number of "B"s in each month.  The rest of their goal MUST be "A"s.  This is done across the nation in order to populate NNPTC/NPTU with quality students that are worth the risk.  Also, their A/B status comes into play if they have civil or academic waivers needed as well.  Again, this is due to the "whole person concept" and the total risk of them not finishing the pipeline due to existing historical precedent.  Now, when an applicant is right on the approve/disapprove line (even just over the disapprove line, at times),  the waiver authority will contact the applicant directly and do a one-on-one phone interview before the final verdict is decided.  Once the applicant becomes a Depper (or "Future Sailor" as they're called now), none of this stuff matters one iota.  The only thing he/she needs to focus on at that point is to:  

1) Stay OUT of trouble and AWAY from poor influences
2) Ensure they are physically ready for the rigors of RTC
3) Get through RTC as efficiently as possible
4) Study their butts off and continue to monitor #1 throughout the training pipeline and their naval career.

Thanks to all for putting up with my [soap]

Rock Chalk

Cool. I had no idea it worked like that. My MEPS screwed up my paper work, and I wasnt even supposed to join (navy disqual not nuke). I figured you guys did everything in your power to get nukes in, regardless of status :). Thanks for the enlightenment.  And yes, I hope this potential candidate can get through ok. Navy needs good nukes right now.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2010, 05:23 by Charlie Murphy »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?