Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Langoliers?
honeypot

Author Topic: Langoliers?  (Read 39754 times)

co60slr

Re: Langoliers?
« Reply #25 on: Oct 15, 2010, 07:13 »

You gave me +K for that thread, Sun Dog.   "Holding the confused fusion fan accountable".  See:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=otherkarma;u=32116

What's your point?  I'm only a 4th stringer on here, so if you don't type anything between my postings, I don't read between the lines.

:-)

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Oct 15, 2010, 08:33 »
Way way back when, I first came to the boards as "20 years gone" and asked for advice as retirement was coming up.  And I got a lot of very supportive answers, with one or two that were not so supportive, but nothing horrible.  As I started reading the boards, I watched Mike and some of his comments, and I foolishly answered and argued with him on occasion. 
As the years have gone by, I've adopted a different approach.  There are guys on the boards who are so helpfull...  They are always logical, and they know so much, and I wanted to be helpful like they'd helped me.  So, when I'd see some newcomer get slammed, I'd occasionally try and put out a bit of more constructive info to him... It doesn't take all that much time, and the thing is... People like having their concerns or questions answered.  Sure, we can all read the archives, and eventually, everything will be answered, but then who'll write on the boards? 
I frankly have a great deal of respect for most everyone here.  Broadzilla is the poster child for negative posting, and he does a bit of it.. But he's right almost all the time.  I guess I just thought arguing with him was like taking on a force of nature.. You can't out yell the wind. 
Bottom line...  It'll be a better place if we put out our own positive and helpful info, rather than argue with the techniches of some of the others.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #27 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:30 »
OK Mike, I'll vent too.
It's a matter of civility. I'll admit I've struggled with it myself, my sarcasm button is easy to hit.
But I've tried to get better.
When Honeycomb was on here as a mod was when I first really noticed things getting mean. I don't miss him...
Some of the ones that left surprised me - Motown Homey is one of the steadiest people I have known in this biz.
I left here years ago - when another very political member was on probation - because I thought it was an overreaction at the time.
I came back because this is the most useful non-company site on the internet. I'll stay. I'll continue to try to be nice to new people, respectful of my peers, and not kick too much at the ornery. At least in public.
You have a great thing here - but much like our society and government - the lowest common denominator is starting to rule here.... some days it really seems like mob rule.
Much like work, when it gets silly here, I take one of the kids fishing. Usually makes me feel better... ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

co60slr

« Reply #28 on: Oct 15, 2010, 09:45 »
I recall giving the +K, that's why I knew where to grab the quotes!   ;)

I still believe you deserve that thumbs up...I don't have a problem with your approach, then or now.  I was not judging you.  I was just pointing out that the term "Bully" as it relates to a posting technique is very subjective.  I am sure our confused fan of fusion thought you were being a Bully...even though he kept those thoughts to himself.  Personally, I thought you were right on the mark.

I should have pointed this out initially and avoided the confusion.  My bad.

No bad.  It is very subjective, as was my "wack job" comment in the other thread...although, I just need a better adjective.   I despise arguments that have no facts (e.g., fusion).

Lots of wise advice in this thread.  Thanks SunDog, Creeker, and HouseDad.

Co60

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #29 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:09 »
In GM polysci the language would be more colorful but the message needs to be delivered here, in the public forum.

Well said and on the money!  I'm glad for all the response this has gotten.  This is the discussion we need from time to time. 

Mike has the vision for this site and started it because of that vision.  I wandered onto it because I saw it during an outage and signed up after lurking for several months.  We, and the many who have volunteered over the years are merely the caretakers of YOUR site.  Whenever someone leaves I take it personally and wonder what I did or didn't do that might have caused them to go.  However, I know that leaving can be inevitable and I just hope for a return someday.

I can be the worst as far as response time to PM's at times because I've had hoof-in-mouth too many times in the past when I didn't measure my words well before responding.  Please don't take this or other slow action as not caring or paying attention.  Keep after us so that we can make YOUR site better.  This is one of many GREAT discussions that have occurred this year that have changed the site.  It definitely needs to be out here for everyone to contribute to.

As always, my PM box (& Mike's) is always open if you'd rather go that route.  The key is keep talking, we are listening.  Please also remember that change is always ongoing and not always permanent. 

Peace, ($1 to Marssim)

Tom
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #30 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:03 »

So, when I'd see some newcomer get slammed, I'd occasionally try and put out a bit of more constructive info to him... It doesn't take all that much time, and the thing is... People like having their concerns or questions answered.  Sure, we can all read the archives, and eventually, everything will be answered, but then who'll write on the boards?  

Great Point!  :)

Some of the ones that left surprised me - Motown Homey is one of the steadiest people I have known in this biz.

I came back because this is the most useful non-company site on the internet. I'll stay. I'll continue to try to be nice to new people, respectful of my peers, and not kick too much at the ornery. At least in public.

Ditto.  :)

I can be the worst as far as response time to PM's at times because I've had hoof-in-mouth too many times in the past when I didn't measure my words well before responding.  Please don't take this or other slow action as not caring or paying attention.  

'Hoof-in-Mouth'...we ALL get it sometimes.  ;) You are right that we can minimize it by taking a few minutes (...hours?  ...days?) before we jump into the fray...  :)

:)
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 06:51 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

stownsend

« Reply #31 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:11 »
I respect the people who pay back what they have been given as generosity goes a long way. The way I have to look at it is I can learn from these people who are short with people who don't try to help themselves.The newbies want someone else to do the work for them.Maybe they are new but a kinder nudge to use the search function is a good lesson instead of someone answering the minute they post a question.If they had to wait a little maybe they would search on their own. If you keep telling the puppy NO he'll finally learn not to chew on your slippers.I have read many posts by a certain shift manager and asked myself how can I apply this advice to my own situation.I'm still learning.It seems people are getting their feelings hurt and running to Dad for help.Stop chewing on the slippers and the beatings will stop.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2010, 09:13 by stownsend »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:21 »
Here is my two cents.  It’s intended to add to the conversation, not dominate it.

When the site started, we encouraged the Wild West mentality, mostly to get the word out that there was a place out here where you could tell the world how it is.
Then we pulled the reigns in a little when it got to be a too wild (Remember the Duke Power system being banned?)
Then we asked a lot of people to help moderate, to help enforce the rules, get to get people conditioned as to what was expected.
Now people know what to expect, and they mostly act accordingly (It only took 11 years, hehe).
We have a huge family that self-polices itself.  Most everyone can hit the ‘report to moderator’ button, and they know how to use it.  In a way, we are all moderators.

At this point in the sites life, it doesn’t need additional moderators, because we do such a good job of self-moderating.  If it changes, so will we.  We didn’t let moderators go because of some lowest common denominator.  The cry-babies have been here from the start.  The moderators have been released from duty because they were successful in educating each other in how we should act.

How we should act changes from day to day, and year to year.  But overall, I think I am very proud of the users, members and the content of this site… that nuclear built.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Oct 16, 2010, 12:34 »
As far as people getting their feelings hurt, and leaving.

It happens.  We don’t want to see anyone go, but sometimes they need to take a break.  They need to give themselves a time out, and they do.  Most people come back.  Some don’t.  Those that don’t come back, is because they don’t need us.  That’s a good thing.  It’s also a good thing that we are here for those that do need us.

Some folks have mentioned Broadzilla in this thread.  I tried coaching him.  I even put him on probation. – He didn’t change his approach (that I could perceive… but perhaps he has).  I had a decision to make.  Boot him from the site, or allow him to be him. – We are not going to boot anyone from this site, just for being themselves.  He is trying to help people, in his own way.  It’s not the way that I would like it to be, but I have to accept that not everyone in the world is like me.  I also have to accept that my way isn’t the only way, and it might not always be the right way.  – I encourage others that dislike his methods to not fight with him, but to accept him as he is.  A simple reply to one of his ‘janitor/ search’ replies with a reply with the other side of the coin.  That way, people will see there are all kind of people in the world, even in nuclear.  – Variety is the spice of life.  If we were all Beercourts or Marssims…  The site would be pretty lame.  What I’m preaching is tolerance, for the things we don’t like or agree with.  Sometimes that means tolerating me, sometimes its tolerating Dave Warren… that commy pinko…  sorry…  It doesn’t mean you have to like it, doesn’t mean you have to enjoy it, or agree with it… It’s like the winter in the north.  You don’t necessarily like it, but you build up a tolerance, you adapt, you accept what you cannot change because you choose to live there.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Oct 16, 2010, 01:29 »
:-\

You know what I mean, don't go getting your panties in a wad.  If we were all the same, the site would have no diversity or opposing views.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Oct 16, 2010, 08:01 »
As far as people getting their feelings hurt, and leaving.

It happens.  We don’t want to see anyone go, but sometimes they need to take a break.  They need to give themselves a time out, and they do.  

My bet was either the Nukeworker Tantalus DeviceTM

or the Andromedan Belt Gizmo that turns them into dodecahedrons of confectioner's sugar

;)
« Last Edit: Oct 21, 2010, 02:02 by HydroDave63 »

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #36 on: Oct 18, 2010, 07:33 »
BROADZILLA....... [prize]

Actually I appreciate his Sam Kinison sense of humor..... ;)

RG

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:43 »
You need the idiots of this world to make the rest of us look good!  ;D

roadhard

« Reply #38 on: Oct 18, 2010, 12:27 »
sometimes its tolerating Dave Warren… that commy pinko… 

Wow.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2010, 01:53 »
Wow.

Of course, I meant that in the nicest possible way. ;)

And apparently I spelled it wrong, its commie pinko.  Please forgive me.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2010, 01:54 by Rennhack »

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18, 2010, 03:10 »
Of course, I meant that in the nicest possible way. ;)

Janitor...  ;)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

TWillis

« Reply #41 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:22 »
Of course, I meant that in the nicest possible way.

Does that make you a commie pinko sympatizer? ::)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #42 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:38 »
Yes.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:06 »
OK Mike, I'll vent too.
It's a matter of civility. I'll admit I've struggled with it myself, my sarcasm button is easy to hit.
But I've tried to get better.
When Honeycomb was on here as a mod was when I first really noticed things getting mean. I don't miss him...
I left here years ago - when another very political member was on probation - because I thought it was an overreaction at the time.
You have a great thing here - but much like our society and government - the lowest common denominator is starting to rule here.... some days it really seems like mob rule.Much like work, when it gets silly here, I take one of the kids fishing. Usually makes me feel better... ;)

I agree very much with this. I have read this thread several times debating whether or not to post mainly for the same reasons that others have left and still others are no longer very active.

There was a time on here that you could poke fun at others and still remain friends (although some went too far at times). I believe that the site has lost a lot of its luster over the last 6 months or longer and I was quite surprised at some of the members who left. I don't know if I am a gluten for punishment or just so damn stubborn that I couldn't stay away, but I decided that I was not going to allow someone (even the big boss) take something away from me that I enjoy, so I came back.

I realize that time changes and so do other things, but not all change is good.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #44 on: Oct 20, 2010, 12:31 »
I agree very much with this. I have read this thread several times debating whether or not to post mainly for the same reasons that others have left and still others are no longer very active.

There was a time on here that you could poke fun at others and still remain friends (although some went too far at times). I believe that the site has lost a lot of its luster over the last 6 months or longer and I was quite surprised at some of the members who left. I don't know if I am a gluten for punishment or just so damn stubborn that I couldn't stay away, but I decided that I was not going to allow someone (even the big boss) take something away from me that I enjoy, so I came back.

I realize that time changes and so do other things, but not all change is good.

Gluten for punishment, only to us celiacs! ;)

+K to you for sharing, and I for one am glad to see ya back!

the other Dave

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #45 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:26 »
I discovered 2 days ago that I still have a pulse.... :o Someone was posting in an unhelpful manner and I jumped up with an immediate cut down..... Then I deleted my response after I remembered what one of my early commercial supervisors (KD from SONGS) told me about replying to things. "Try really hard to add to life, not take away from it." He was talking about face to face discussions, but it applies to the internet as well. I now try to ask myself when posting on here and elsewhere "Does this add life or crush it?" . If it doesn't add to life I delete it...... That is the one advantage of the net, It gives you the power to extract your foot from various places (your mouth, someone elses posterior) before it goes into those places. Mike,
thanks for the place to post.

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #46 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:27 »
It seems people are talking with their feet.  I’m not sure why so I checked out despair.com for inspiration.

For those who come here wide-eyed looking for some support, only to be bashed for a myriad of reasons, I give you:
BITTERNESS
Never be afraid to share your dreams with the world, because there's nothing the world loves more than the taste of really sweet dreams.

For those who come here and get upset when somebody challenges their ability or motives, I give you:
DELUSIONS
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

For those who justify poorly thought out responses with worse explanations, I give you:
EXCUSES
If you keep asking others to give you the benefit of the doubt, they'll eventually start to doubt your benefit.

For those who think they can't catch a break from anyone here, I give you:
DYSFUNCTION
The only consistent feature in all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

For those who dislike those who disagree with them based on principle alone. I give you:
PRETENSION
The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

For those seeking special treatment because of their unique talents, I give you:
INDIVIDUALITY
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

For those who consistently apply the rules of the forum when it suits them, I give you:
CONFORMITY
When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

And finally, for those who like the website, despite its imperfections, I give you two things to remember:
STRIFE
As long as we have each other, we'll never run out of problems.

-AND-

COMPROMISE
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #47 on: Oct 21, 2010, 05:27 »
Broadzilla is the poster child for negative posting, and he does a bit of it.. But he's right almost all the time.  I guess I just thought arguing with him was like taking on a force of nature.. You can't out yell the wind. 

You must know him personally!  ;D I can vouch for that, if not.

I would rather at least point them in the right direction, but it is much more time-consuming than, "Use the search function, T-baller!"
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Fermi2

« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:55 »
You must know him personally!  ;D I can vouch for that, if not.

I would rather at least point them in the right direction, but it is much more time-consuming than, "Use the search function, T-baller!"

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I like virtually everyone on this site. Those who know me in person will vouch I'm more like to ask What The H*** do you want ? then go about helping them. I won't apologize for my viewpoint that prospective nukes should come here with the following skills:

1: Humility
2: Ability to research and search prior to asking their question, none of these snowflakes have new or unique issues.
3: The ability to spell correct, punctuate correctly and to present themselves in a logical manner, both my children can do this, there's no reason a future nuke shouldn't be able to do so.
4: The ability to take a swift kick in the ass and say thank you sir may I have another please.

Let's face it, every good nuke any of us have ever known has possessed these fundamental skills in abundance, why shouldn't the cupcakes be required to have them too?

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2010, 02:19 »
3: The ability to spell correct(ly), punctuate correctly.

Little over site there Mike?  Still, very good points, just felt like busting your ba**s. +K
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 02:21 by retread »
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?