Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Langoliers? honeypot

Author Topic: Langoliers?  (Read 39751 times)

Sun Dog

Langoliers?
« on: Oct 13, 2010, 03:37 »
Over the past several months many of the more prolific posters have vanished from NW.  Are Langoliers to blame?
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010, 03:38 by Sun Dog »

Fermi2

Re: Langoliers?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2010, 03:48 »
I'm in contact with virtually all of them, We email quite a bit. I know why they left.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2010, 04:39 »
I'm in contact with virtually all of them, We email quite a bit. I know why they left.

Do you plan to keep us in suspence?
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2010, 04:43 »
They got mad at me.

At least I assume I am to blame for Tarbox and mostlyharmless.

Some of the others got mad at others, or my inaction related to others.
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2010, 04:48 by Rennhack »

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2010, 05:14 »
Mike,

No one is angry at you or anything you've done. You're top notch guy and no one will ever say otherwise, nor have they indicated as such to me. If they did take a shot at you they'd get a blast from me my friend!!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2010, 06:40 »
Thank you.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:27 »
Anytime!

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2010, 10:59 »
So what happened to Tarbox, and if anyone knows how to contact him have him email me at my new email camellablack1@hotmail.com. I had to change due to my account being stolen.

Fermi2

« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2010, 11:51 »
I'll tell him! He left for the same reason the others left and why I don't give advice.
Consider your request done!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2010, 12:23 »
Open message to Tarbox, mostlyharmless, Motown, et al:

WE MISS YOU.  COME BACK!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2010, 01:03 »
mutant too. And any others who had a lot of common sense and weren't afraid to call the ball.

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2010, 03:40 »
Open message to Tarbox, mostlyharmless, Motown, et al:

WE MISS YOU.  COME BACK!

Ditto!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2010, 03:43 »
mutant too. And any others who had a lot of common sense and weren't afraid to call the ball.

So, in your opinion... Why did they go?

co60slr

« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:34 »
Some because of postings like this:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25718.msg131517.html#msg131517
which was in response to someone trying to get a job.

However, the majority of us already know that.

Sorry to disturb your Hallmark moment.   [GH]

Offline Gamecock

• Gold Member
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:46 »

Because not all the changes you've instituted have been for the  better.

The forum rules used to be enforced. 

You have caved to the pressure of the vocal minority who screamed "censorship" every time they violated a forum rule and had a post edited, or (GASP) deleted. 

You have fired all the moderators who helped keep the peace, which I guess makes sense if nothing is "allowed" to be moderated.

There are more posts like the one Co60 linked to.  They are becoming the norm these days.

For the record, I'm not going to leave the site, although I'm sure few would notice if I did. 

Cheers,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:03 »
What he said!

I'd recommend we move the thread to GM if we wish to discuss in detail.

Dave

dirac

« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:35 »
There is a small vocal minority who dominate almost every discussion on these boards and offer very little advice or discussion of any value to most postings. They just want a soapbox to shout out to the world how brilliant they are. It shuts down any openness on the boards making most new people having to send us emails in private if they just want some basic information without being attacked.

Offline biloxoi blues

• Moderate User
  • Engineer (self proclaimed)
« Reply #17 on: Oct 14, 2010, 10:55 »
There is a small vocal minority who dominate almost every discussion on these boards and offer very little advice or discussion of any value to most postings. They just want a soapbox to shout out to the world how brilliant they are. It shuts down any openness on the boards making most new people having to send us emails in private if they just want some basic information without being attacked.
 Beercourt means well
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2010, 10:56 by biloxoi blues »

twinturbo427

« Reply #18 on: Oct 14, 2010, 11:25 »
What he said!

I'd recommend we move the thread to GM if we wish to discuss in detail.

Dave

In GM polysci the language would be more colorful but the message needs to be delivered here, in the public forum.

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15, 2010, 08:12 »
I don't believe that the moderator positions were the problem..... ;)

Just some of the individuals selected to perform the function..... :o

back to my Lurker Status........ [whistle]

« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2010, 08:13 by RAD-GHOST »

Offline Camella Black

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2010, 12:22 »
Because not all the changes you've instituted have been for the  better.

The forum rules used to be enforced. 

You have caved to the pressure of the vocal minority who screamed "censorship" every time they violated a forum rule and had a post edited, or (GASP) deleted. 

You have fired all the moderators who helped keep the peace, which I guess makes sense if nothing is "allowed" to be moderated.

There are more posts like the one Co60 linked to.  They are becoming the norm these days.

For the record, I'm not going to leave the site, although I'm sure few would notice if I did. 

Cheers,
GC

Well said and to the point.

co60slr

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2010, 01:36 »

There are a few people that like to put on the mask/cape and wander anonymously looking for someone to pick on.  I think the term is "bully".   However, I don't think that we should have to rely on Moderators to regulate our behavior.

More so, that behavior has been encouraged by the top levels of this Forum.   Go take a look at some of our more colorful posters, their behavior, and see who rewards them with +K.  On the other hand, the more colorful posters don't seem to care about Karma, so that's also a pretty worthless tool, IMHO.

Another useful tool is to take a look at someones history of postings.   Fun to see someone spend 2 weeks mudslinging and proving to the world that they've never had Economics 101, let alone Political Science, and then step out to throw a dictionary at some college grad asking about our Industry.   And for you new posters asking questions, your first lesson in being a good Nuke is to understand the source of your answer and question it.   Otherwise, you can honestly take whatever misinformation you get.  In Nuclear power, the egomanic shouting the loudest to be heard is usually the more incorrect person in the room.

One of the last Dinosaurs to "quit" Nukeworker complained to Mike and was happy to CC me on the PM:  "Either he goes or I go".     What are we here....junior high school?   Take you ball and go home.  Don't come back until you grow up, as far as I'm concerned, but when you do, leave the high school kids asking about Nuclear Power alone.   They don't answer to us...not yet anyway.

GC, you've forgotten more about the Nuclear Navy than many of these "6 and outers" ever bothered to study and figure out.   On that note, there's no reason to respond to any of the personal attacks...there are 100s of us here that know better.  I do admire those that couldn't figure out the Nuclear Navy, left it, and are successful in Commercial.   I love success stories...of all kinds.   However, a few need to quit being an ass and spitting on the organization that trained them to begin with and just move on already.   

I'd love to hear a 757 Commercial jetliner pilot call an F-18 pilot a "T-Baller".   (Laughing).   "Look, my 4 engines are bigger than yours".  It's not clear the comparative slam works well here.  At least not for the educated crowd.   Oh wait....aren't many 757 pilots former military?  Hmm.

/RANT.  TGIF!

Co58   

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2010, 02:03 »
If nothing else, this post will let people get some things off their chest that has been bothering them.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #23 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:11 »
Yeah, and while some posters on here act like jerks, the info they give is good sometimes, so it is probably worth it overall.  People have to get a "stab" in there to make them feel like big men, I guess.  I can't exactly figure out why they do it.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #24 on: Oct 15, 2010, 04:22 »
There were some very helpful people among the departed.  The new folks need and appreciate their experience.

It's unfortunate that they felt they had to leave for whatever reason.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?