Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Things to study  

Author Topic: Things to study  (Read 9667 times)

mwdavis

Things to study
« on: Oct 16, 2010, 01:46 »
Hello folks

I will be starting at an Exelon plant in December as an instant SRO. Not that I in any way want to start up the "merits of" debate, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions pertaining to things I might study for the next month and a half that might be helpful.

Thanks

Mace

co60slr

Re: Things to study
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2010, 03:09 »
Hello folks

I will be starting at an Exelon plant in December as an instant SRO. Not that I in any way want to start up the "merits of" debate, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions pertaining to things I might study for the next month and a half that might be helpful.
Hello folks

The "merits of" debate is crap.  If anyone harasses you over being hired, tell them to contact the CEO of Exelon.  Meanwhile, others have gone before you and not made it, so be humble in your efforts.  In any event, congrats and good luck!

Here's some familiarization reading.  You'll have to ask/find out about your specific site.  I'd wager that these documents will come up...might make for "light reading" until you find out the details of what your plant wants you to know....

SRO Licensing process.  NUREG 1021.
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/nuregs/staff/sr1021/

Your first NRC Exam:
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operator-licensing/generic-fundamentals-examinations.html

Pick your plant and read, read, read, read....
http://www.nrc.gov/reactors/operating/licensing/techspecs/current-approved-sts.html
(Example question:  You're the SRO.  You lose all off-site power.  How long do you have to fix it before you have to shut the plant down and why?)

What are the rad limits of concern at your site's perimeter:
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part100/
(Then back to tech specs.   What is the basis for RCS activity limits?)

If you're asked to modify a procedure:
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part050/part050-0059.html

Commercial Rad Limits:
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part020/

If you're still bored, Fire Protection at Nuclear sites is a big deal:  "APPENDIX R"
http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part050/part050-appr.html

mwdavis

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2010, 04:15 »
Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2010, 06:51 »
Once you're hired, you're hired, there is no more debate. The job of those around you is to assist you in your license progress. Note assist does not mean Spoon fed, you're no longer in the navy, you are expected to be an adult and no one will spoon feed you. Also no one gives a you know what about your exploits as a T Baller.

The list given you were just given is excellent. Don't worry about Appendix R. It's pretty much invisible to you. What you need to know about it, you'll be taught.

The BEST thing you can do is ask your plant if they have a DVD or CD with their actual plant systems on it. Then gloss over them, some will be meaningless because of plant unique nomenclature. Still flow paths and such will help.

Also if you've never read an electrical or logic print I suggest learning how to do so now, otherwise if you try learning on the fly you'll never make it.

mwdavis

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2010, 07:06 »
I appreciate any help I can get. Haven't been in the Navy for quite some time. I have run a chemical weapons incinerator for the Army for the past 11 years, so I am pretty familiar with reading P&ID's and logic ladders. Is the CD of plant systems a question I could ask the recruiter? Would she know what I was talking about? I really like that idea.

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2010, 08:50 »
We have an Ex Chemical guy or two.

You'd ask the training department. What plant?

mwdavis

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:08 »
Byron

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2010, 09:16 »
I sent you a message that should be helpful.

mwdavis

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2010, 03:37 »

The BEST thing you can do is ask your plant if they have a DVD or CD with their actual plant systems on it. Then gloss over them, some will be meaningless because of plant unique nomenclature. Still flow paths and such will help.

They sent me a copy of all the system class lesson plans. This is fantastic. I am learning so much just from looking up what all the terms mean. Outstanding......
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2010, 03:40 by mwdavis »

Fremont

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2010, 06:49 »
Hello folks

Thanks

Mace
Welcome! I'm assuming you are here now? Your class doesn't convene for some months, but you will be assigned to Ops to fulfill the "6 months on site" requirement. My advice is to get to know the EOs and follow them on rounds and start to learn the plant. Our biggest problem with instant SRO hirees has been plant knowledge. We had an SRO in the last license class who spent an hour on ONE JPM because of a lack of plant location knowledge, and passed the JPM only by a lucky guess.

mwdavis

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:17 »
Welcome! I'm assuming you are here now? Your class doesn't convene for some months, but you will be assigned to Ops to fulfill the "6 months on site" requirement. My advice is to get to know the EOs and follow them on rounds and start to learn the plant. Our biggest problem with instant SRO hirees has been plant knowledge. We had an SRO in the last license class who spent an hour on ONE JPM because of a lack of plant location knowledge, and passed the JPM only by a lucky guess.

Started Indoc today. Can't wait to get into the plant and start learning. I intend to spend as much time with the EO's as I can. Not sure what I will be doing during the outage.

dtucker89

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2010, 07:34 »
Along these lines, I wonder what NLO knowledge and learning resources are out there. I would like to start learning AO knowledge.

-Daniel

Fermi2

« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2010, 09:39 »
It varies plant to plant.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2010, 10:05 »
Along these lines, I wonder what NLO knowledge and learning resources are out there. I would like to start learning AO knowledge.

-Daniel

I wouldn't sweat it. The training programs are pretty structured and designed for people with no experience at all in this sort of thing. However, to wet your whistle, have a gander at this stuff as an intro into nuclear power sort of stuff.

http://www.tpub.com/content/doe/
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2010, 10:07 by JustinHEMI »

dtucker89

« Reply #14 on: Dec 07, 2010, 06:04 »
Thanks, Justin. And sort of what I was expecting, Zilla.

-Daniel

mwdavis

« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2010, 06:47 »
Got my badge today. Finally get to tour the plant tomorrow.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?