Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu hanford honeypot

Author Topic: hanford  (Read 11992 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

hanford
« on: Oct 17, 2010, 11:57 »
lodging...clarion hotel, richland...$50 per day...this is where bevelacqua holds his chp prep course.
B reactor tour...you'll be sorry you didn't take this tour while you were there.
On the Home Front, Michelle Gerber...Hanford Site Historian...The Book.
Hanford's Battle with Waste Storage Tank SY-101, Chuck Stewart...Tank Farms is the heart of Hanford and this is its story.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2010, 11:59 by wlrun3 »

Offline roadhp

• Moderate User
  • Playing in the bathtub!!!
Re: hanford
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2010, 10:56 »
actually tank farms is not the heart, it's at the other end of the spectrum, if you get my drift, Bill  :P
Brave, brave Sir Robin, set forth from Camelot!!!!

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2010, 11:34 »
in the introduction of chuck stewart's book about tank SY 101 he says that they spent millions of dollars over a period of several decades and remediated nothing...just moved the waste around...

i always thought that b reactor, t plant and the first atomic bomb, july 16, 1945 in new mexico using hanfords plutonium was the beginning of the nuclear world we know...having daily driven past trench 94, which is the resting place of most of the boats that were the early lives of so many techs, i am convinced that the remaining legacy isn't the boats, the reactors, the nevada test site, ebr1, oak ridge....it's what's in those tanks.

stewart's story ends late at night, alone, in a trailer in the desert watching the last residue of the crust swirl away...the monster was finally dead

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2010, 07:09 »
having daily driven past trench 94, which is the resting place of most of the boats that were the early lives of so many techs,

Reactor compartments from both of my boats are in that trench, USS Spadefish SSN 668 and USS Hammerhead SSN 663. It would have been nice if at least one of the 637 class had been preserved as a museum boat as was the Narwhal and the Nautilus.

http://navsource.org/archives/08/100/0857524.jpg
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2010, 07:13 by Marlin »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:00 »
A boat is a boat is a boat, for the museum goers who never sailed in one the impact of the Nautilus versus a "short" Sturgeon versus the Narwhal is not worth the effort or expense, particularly tax payer expense.

You aren't smelling the profit from a line of " I bumped my head aboard SSN 591, and all I got was this "patrol" T-shirt" ?  ;)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2010, 09:38 »
Where you gonna find that money?!?

That is the biggest issue with acquiring a boat, the Navy wants a commitment of $20 million for a Nuke hull to ensure that the boat is properly taken care of.

A boat is a boat is a boat, for the museum goers who never sailed in one the impact of the Nautilus versus a "short" Sturgeon versus the Narwhal is not worth the effort or expense, particularly tax payer expense.

For those who did sail in them, we have memories enough and museums enough. I'd rather spend my private monies on an RV to take my grandchildren around to the museums already built, and would rather my tax monies be spent on more useful things or not spent at all.

Perhaps, but the 637s were the work horse of the Cold War at its height. The effort involved in bringing the USS Cincinnati to Cincinnati involved making it a sub museum, Cold War museum and science teaching center not just a nostalgic piece of military hardware. With your train of thought only one WWII sub should have been retained as opposed to many Museum boats that are preserved around the country.

Just my opinion, and you are welcome to it.  [coffee] [devious]

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.  [salute]

Offline Fluffy Bunny

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 19, 2010, 03:30 »
Just my opinion, and you are welcome to it.  [coffee] [devious]

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.  [salute]

[OT]

Nukeworker rule # 1

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

1. Keep all replies to a message on topic; ANY off topic messages will be deleted. (This includes witticisms, and smart remarks.) Feel free to create witty topics in the correct area.

It seems to be a recurring issue with you.

[stir] I'm the Troll your mother warned you about, feed me.

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2010, 12:19 »
the mast of the triton, the first nuclear submarine to circumnavigate the world underwater, is displayed at the mooring where the reactor compartments are offloaded from the columbia river...google earth shows trench 94 very clearly...routines are done monthly....5 mr contact max...

i am now writing the book "Trench 94"

duke99301

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:01 »
I worked there when the place was running as a nuclear operator. spent 6 years in the tank farms  1 at t plant  B plant and 234-5z sealed the door after we painted the floor where the pipe blew out.
was in the east area when they buried those silly cores. there nothing big about all that. we got OT to clean up tumble weeds. hanford was a way of life for a lot of good people. I started there when I was 18 left when I was 30 when the plants closed down and it got boring. went out there last summer some of my old friends still there from when we were kids it was good to talk to them. to bad the busses are gone . But as an old boss of mine told me shen they shut down its all good for the Demo companys.
maybe WPPS will come back and really build 5 reactors now.
have good one .
only boat I know is one I use to catch steel head with. the rest we can cut up and sell the steel . 

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2010, 03:14 »

I am starting a new Nukeworker thread for the upcoming book, "Trench 94".

The book is about the one hundred plus boats of the cold war whose reactor compartments are now in trench # 94 in the 200 east area at Hanford. This "trench" is actually a wide open basin clearly visible on Google Earth. The book will contain a photograph of the trench and an index showing each boats location in the trench.     

If you have stories about any of the boats whose reactor compartments are in the trench, please post that story on the "Trench 94" Nukeworker thread. Full credit will be given in the Notes Appendix of the book.

Thanks to the genius of Mike Rennhack those stories will be on that thread until Nukeworker dies.

I was inspired to take up the glaringly obvious task of researching and writing this book after driving past the trench daily over the entire summer of 2010.

Offline retread

• Old, fat meter reader
  • Heavy User
  • Every day above ground is a good one
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2010, 03:07 »
Just in case anyone is interested Rip is or was an HP from Handford in the 70's. We worked many jobs in the 80's.I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers.
Steve Townsend
Maybe not Steve, but Fluffy Bunny will get ticked because you are  [OT]  Hope he doesn't have an aneurysm! :D
In dwelling, be close to the land.
In meditation, go deep in the heart.
In dealing with others, be patient and kind.
In speech, be true.
In ruling, be just.
In business, be competent.

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2010, 03:24 »
As we are talking about Hanford and some history, does anyone here know if during the interim storage project for H-reactor were they able to save the "Blue Lady" in the air tunnel?? Remember making a special trip up there every time we did inspections just to check out that fine piece of artwork!  That and her little cousin that was there as well.  Whoever the artist was they were quite talented.  Know that there was some talk about trying to save that piece of wall, but I never have heard if they did.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline 105KW

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2011, 04:33 »
As we are talking about Hanford and some history, does anyone here know if during the interim storage project for H-reactor were they able to save the "Blue Lady" in the air tunnel?? Remember making a special trip up there every time we did inspections just to check out that fine piece of artwork!  That and her little cousin that was there as well.  Whoever the artist was they were quite talented.  Know that there was some talk about trying to save that piece of wall, but I never have heard if they did.

She didn't make it I hear....really kinda sad.

105KW

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?