Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Felony  

Author Topic: Felony  (Read 11921 times)

JRnewb

Felony
« on: Oct 19, 2010, 11:18 »
Is it possible to get a job in the Nuclear industry with a felony and/or on parole?

Offline stormgoalie

• Former RP Supervisor, now an Engineer......
  • Very Heavy User
  • Go fast or go home!
Re: Felony
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2010, 11:38 »
I would not stake my future on it...... Sorry to sound short, but the fact is a felony record pretty much sinks your chances in the nuclear industry, or any industry that would require a security/background check.
WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, or blasphemy.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2010, 06:52 »
We have one guy working with us who had a felony about 28 years ago.  He started working in the industry in 1998 I think.  This is not common.  Good luck.

Offline sgowans

• Lurker
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010, 01:35 »
 ;) All I can tell you is that I recommend that you do not let anything get in your way! If you want a career in the Nuke world then go after it. If someone is genuine about changing there life for the better it will show and after time you will find that there are people/companies that will make things happen for you. It may take time but if there is a will there is a way!

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:55 »
I know for a fact that having a felony conviction is not the end of the world.  I personally know a man who was convicted of a pretty stiff crime back in 1994.  At the time he was working for DOD/DON at Charleston Naval Shipyard and held a secret clearance.  Since he fully acknowledged and took full responsibility for the crime the powers that be did not take away his clearance (his punishment was 20 yrs imprisonment suspended upon completion of 5yrs probation, 500 hrs community service, completion of a 3 years perpetrators psychological counseling.)  After the Shipyard was shutdown by the shortsighted and ignorant BRAC (base realignment and closure committee), he went back to college and got a degree.  He worked in another field (at less pay than he was getting at the shipyard) until his probation was over.  He then secured a rent-a-tech job at DOE Savannah River Site.  After the contract there ended, he went on the road to other DOE facilities and worked commercial outages.  He is now "house" at a DOE facility.  I do know that most DOE and commercial sites will not allow a person on site while still serving probation or parole.

It is still a difficult road to travel.  My friend has been turned down for many jobs.  His persistence has got him where he is today.  Send me a PM if you would like to know more details. 

JRnewb

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:55 »
  Thank you for your answers.

Through persistence and hard work I am doing very well.

I am in construction now. Heavy highway construction working on a bridge currently. Looking to get laid off  towards the end of next month.  Currently a certified welder, OSHA training, heavy equipment operations and the like.

Thinking of going to school. Maybe look into some sort of degree.

I have great interest in the Energy field. I believe that nuclear energy is important for our future.

My Felony by the way wasn't anything to extravagant just stupid. I have learned and grown from the experience. The few years in prison though I hated every day of it did me good.

Thanks again.

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:12 »
You cannot be an Operator or work on safety related equipment if you've been convicted of a Felony.

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:52 »
You cannot be an Operator or work on safety related equipment if you've been convicted of a Felony.

Is this an NRC policy?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2010, 11:29 »
Is this an NRC policy?

Let us all now please open our Nuclear hymnals to 10 CFR 10, page 10.10

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part010/part010-0010.html

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2010, 11:15 »
It's a law. It's why there's a tiny little check box on Operator Applications that asks you if you've ever been convicted of a felony.

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:49 »
It's a law. It's why there's a tiny little check box on Operator Applications that asks you if you've ever been convicted of a felony.

I learned something today. According to the above poster, check boxes, if tiny, are law. Good to know.

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2010, 03:58 »
I learned something today. According to the above poster, check boxes, if tiny, are law. Good to know.

Learn to read son.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?