Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu another new guy looking for some answers.......please

Author Topic: another new guy looking for some answers.......please  (Read 8737 times)

fission_frenzy

Howdy folks, let me preface this by saying it is my first post and forgive my ignorance.

I have an interview at Southern Nuclear at the Vogtle plant next week. I am not terribly concerned about that as I am obtaining security clearance. I do not have a record at all as an adult but do have two expunged MIP's almost ten years ago in high school. I will of course list those on my background check but I am more concerned about my experimenting with drugs.

Of course I am clean now and do not even drink, except A beer every now and again. What sort of problems can I expect to encounter with security clearance?

Sun Dog

Re: another new guy looking for some answers.......please
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:02 »
Howdy folks, let me preface this by saying it is my first post and forgive my ignorance.

I have an interview at Southern Nuclear at the Vogtle plant next week. I am not terribly concerned about that as I am obtaining security clearance. I do not have a record at all as an adult but do have two expunged MIP's almost ten years ago in high school. I will of course list those on my background check but I am more concerned about my experimenting with drugs.

Of course I am clean now and do not even drink, except A beer every now and again. What sort of problems can I expect to encounter with security clearance?

First lesson...be honest to a fault...saying "I don't drink, except beer" is akin to saying you are a little bit pregnant.  If you feel better by telling people you do not drink, than do not drink.  
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2010, 12:03 by Sun Dog »

fission_frenzy

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:16 »
You are correct, I should have stated that I only drink every once in a while.

Do you have any advice regarding the drug issues?

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:39 »
Come clean, there is no such thing as expunged when it comes to a security clearance.

fission_frenzy

« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:31 »
Ok, let me pose the question in a different manner.

I am clean and record free as an adult but did smoke weed and drank on the weekends all through high school and a bit through my first college experience.

What sort of criteria will disqualify me getting clearance even if I am completely honest? Again, I reiterate that I have no drug charges of any sort and only two minor is possesion of alcohol charges when I was 16 (almost ten years ago). Am I flirting with danger and how bad is that going to look?

Thank all for any advice!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:44 »
Ok, let me pose the question in a different manner.

I am clean and record free as an adult but did smoke weed and drank on the weekends all through high school and a bit through my first college experience.

What sort of criteria will disqualify me getting clearance even if I am completely honest? Again, I reiterate that I have no drug charges of any sort and only two minor is possesion of alcohol charges when I was 16 (almost ten years ago). Am I flirting with danger and how bad is that going to look?

Thank all for any advice!

Let me pose the answer in a different manner...

When they ask the references (that you provide) about you, and the investigator asks them who else would know you (college buddies, do any of THEM have dealer/user convictions, etc?) then the results will be _____________ .

Offline Incline

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:58 »
Be open, Be honest, don't sweat it, you will be fine on that part. Nobody cares if you smoked weed in college and admit it, they only care if you got caught and were charged. And i don't think the MIP will be a big deal since the paperwork says go back 5 years or until you turned 18. List it anyway, it wont hurt.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2010, 06:39 »
So you have no drug charges yet you admit to smoking weed on an internet forum? Are you stupid or what?

fission_frenzy

« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2010, 06:52 »
So you have no drug charges yet you admit to smoking weed on an internet forum? Are you stupid or what?

Thank you for your eloguent response.

Are you suggesting that I lie? From all the research and posts I have read, honesty is the best policy. My fear is that it would have come out anyway and by not admiting it up front, there go my chances for good.

I know you have some pull around here Broadzilla and I am already nervous so ridiculing me isn't really helping.

fission_frenzy

« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2010, 06:54 »
Let me pose the answer in a different manner...

When they ask the references (that you provide) about you, and the investigator asks them who else would know you (college buddies, do any of THEM have dealer/user convictions, etc?) then the results will be _____________ .

HydroDave63, would it be ok if I PM'd you to get some clarification?

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2010, 09:24 »

Thank you for your eloguent response.

Are you suggesting that I lie? From all the research and posts I have read, honesty is the best policy. My fear is that it would have come out anyway and by not admiting it up front, there go my chances for good.

I know you have some pull around here Broadzilla and I am already nervous so ridiculing me isn't really helping.

WTF where would you even get that I suggest you lie? I'm merely stating, you're going to get a security investigation where they're going to ask you if you've ever used drugs, and you've posted you've done so on the internet. In the FFD world there'd be no need to test you as you've admitted to being positive.

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2010, 11:57 »
Be open, Be honest, don't sweat it, you will be fine on that part. Nobody cares if you smoked weed in college and admit it, they only care if you got caught and were charged. And i don't think the MIP will be a big deal since the paperwork says go back 5 years or until you turned 18. List it anyway, it wont hurt.
I agree with his being honest and open, but I would only answer the questions asked. If the question says have you ever...  Then be forthwith and tell them everything.  If the question asks have you ever since you turned 18, then they aren't asking what you did as a juvenile and I would only talk about since I turned 18.  Why open that can of worms (at 16) if they aren't asking it. 
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

fission_frenzy

« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2010, 12:53 »
I agree with his being honest and open, but I would only answer the questions asked. If the question says have you ever...  Then be forthwith and tell them everything.  If the question asks have you ever since you turned 18, then they aren't asking what you did as a juvenile and I would only talk about since I turned 18.  Why open that can of worms (at 16) if they aren't asking it. 

Thank you for your information. I understand being completely honest but only divulging information that is specifically asked. I will, of course, tell them about the issues if it is brought up.

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:14 »

Always a Jackass response from this one. Just be honest and you will be fine.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

fission_frenzy

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:39 »
Always a Jackass response from this one. Just be honest and you will be fine.

Thanks man, I appreciate the support. I figured that much by just reading other posts of his.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?