Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ELT

Author Topic: ELT  (Read 24954 times)

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
ELT
« on: Oct 23, 2010, 03:02 »
I'd like to be an ELT, woohoo right? I heard its about doing well in prototype. and Ive also heard its more about getting 'in' with ELT's at prototype... is it really 100% political, or can I get on with life with accepting its just a dart board decision?
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline zoomies

• Light User
Re: ELT
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2010, 06:07 »
Both, do good or get in good with the ELT's. Pretty much all of the people putting in for it are getting it currently, but that is obviously subject to change.
Mechanic

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:13 »
Both, do good or get in good with the ELT's. Pretty much all of the people putting in for it are getting it currently, but that is obviously subject to change.

Thanks, that's what I figured.
Just tried getting an 'updated' POV, I appreciate Marssism's  input, but I figured this was something that changed frequently. (ex: Wire ELTs => top 20% MM => 3.2GPA avg selection => qualifying certain prototype watch => just being friendly to the right people.)
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:42 »
Pretty much, but it more or less is your qualification status (% complete) than your GPA now that I think of it. But again, most people dont put in for it (I was asked to go ELT and respectfully declined :P), so there are plenty of slots available.
Mechanic

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2010, 10:11 »
Faster than a speeding bullet.More powerful than a locomotive.Look! Down in the plant! Its a bird. Its a plane. Its ELT! Yes its ELT. Strange visitor from this planet who came to the Navy with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal sailors.ELT- and who,disguised as machinist mate,mild mannered swabbie for the worlds greatest Navy, fights the never ending battle for primary chemistry,secondary chemistry, and the Navy way. Good to see that even after these many years,the great ELT debate lives on. Navy Nucs turning down the chance to become anointed as one of these mighty men? Blasphemous. MM2/ELT USS NIMITZ CVN-68. 80-84. BOHICA.

jowlman

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:58 »
I know that this doesn't apply to most, but I can tell you how I got it. I was put on medical hold after having an operation while at prototype. During that time I was assigned to the D1G plant manager. After I finished qualifying and was told that I made ELT. I found out that before my interview,the plant manager has gone to the members and told them that they were to give me whatever I wanted. I went down to his office and he told me that it was my reward for doing such a good job while I was assigned to him.

IPREGEN

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:50 »
Pretty much, but it more or less is your qualification status (% complete) than your GPA now that I think of it. But again, most people don't put in for it (I was asked to go ELT and respectfully declined :P), so there are plenty of slots available.

mmm,... given the chance to get advanced training, a better job, more time ashore and more opportunities when out. I guess you were too smart to be an ELT, You'll go far. No need to reply with what a great career your having. The BS flag has already been raised.

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:36 »
Pretty much, but it more or less is your qualification status (% complete) than your GPA now that I think of it. But again, most people dont put in for it (I was asked to go ELT and respectfully declined :P), so there are plenty of slots available.

I'm curious about your reasons for declining ELT; I have been considering going for ELT, if the Navy makes me an MM, when I get in. If you wouldn't mind elaborating, I'd love to hear about it.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2010, 05:39 »
mmm,... given the chance to get advanced training, a better job, more time ashore and more opportunities when out. I guess you were too smart to be an ELT, You'll go far. No need to reply with what a great career your having. The BS flag has already been raised.
I don't know where you got your information from but I recently graduated and pretty much anyone putting in for it gets it. Every person on our crew that put in for it got it, and they asked me to put in for it. I have 2 buddies in ELT school now, not sure what the point of lying about this would be, just trying to help...? I think I recent graduate might have a little more insight on this...
Estis, I decided against it because I don't like the job, I want to be a mechanic, not a SMAG (sometimes mechanic, always gay). I also hate South Carolina.
Mechanic

ISOCS

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:14 »
What has happened to the USN? You all are turning down ELT school or bashing ELTs because we like math, physics, and chemistry?? I guess next you will be bashing the chart of the nuclides. It's not what you learn in ELT school it's how you take it to the next level and level after that later in life.

ISOCS

Offline zoomies

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:22 »
Wasn't a serious bash, I would still recommend going ELT to anyone, its a great deal. Its just all in good fun.
Mechanic

Fermi2

« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:50 »
What has happened to the USN? You all are turning down ELT school or bashing ELTs because we like math, physics, and chemistry?? I guess next you will be bashing the chart of the nuclides. It's not what you learn in ELT school it's how you take it to the next level and level after that later in life.

ISOCS

Huh? How you take what to the next level? Certainly not anything ELT specific.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:03 »
I think I've been watching too many commercials lately.  I started reading this like the Old Spice guy.  Look!  Where are you?  You're on a boat. 

Or were you just watching that Old Spice guys abs a lil  too naughty much ?! ;)

ISOCS

« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2010, 06:55 »

Next levels are learning commercial nuclear to it fullest including ops and HP then it's off to gamma spec, nuclide identification from unknown sources, building libraries from progeny, D and D projects, and such.

IPREGEN

« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2010, 08:44 »
I don't know where you got your information from but I recently graduated and pretty much anyone putting in for it gets it. Every person on our crew that put in for it got it, and they asked me to put in for it. I have 2 buddies in ELT school now, not sure what the point of lying about this would be, just trying to help...? I think I recent graduate might have a little more insight on this...
Estis, I decided against it because I don't like the job, I want to be a mechanic, not a SMAG (sometimes mechanic, always gay). I also hate South Carolina.

You display poor decision making. Your slur emphasizes your lack of common sense.

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2010, 07:48 »
When the 35 students graduate, there will be twice as many people to pick ELTs from.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 07:50 by Golly Orby »

Fermi2

« Reply #16 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:26 »

Next levels are learning commercial nuclear to it fullest including ops and HP then it's off to gamma spec, nuclide identification from unknown sources, building libraries from progeny, D and D projects, and such.

Any relatively intelligent individual can do that without any Naval or ELT training whatsoever.

Fermi2

« Reply #17 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:27 »
I weep at the undaunted courage and sacrifice I and my fellow ELT's have made in the interest of furthering nuclear power.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010, 07:19 by Broadzilla »

ISOCS

« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:05 »
Any relatively intelligent individual can do that without any Naval or ELT training whatsoever.

Oh really?? Come try ISOCS or you may be used to the dumbed down APEX or pro-count. You probably have a point but I've seen, throughout the years, a person with a Naval bkg (ELT or not) tends to learn and catch on quicker.

Fermi2

« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:19 »
Actually no I haven't, the 10 best Operators I know have no Navy background whatsoever.

kp88

« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:14 »
the 10 best Operators I know have no Navy background whatsoever.
Maybe not your ten best, but I'm sure that several of the best Operators that you have ever known, have heard a Navy collision alarm and have had to throw the turbine into reverse.  Granted, commercial plants aren't designed for that, but, it's an experience that you can't put in a simulator.

co60slr

« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:21 »
Maybe not your ten best, but I'm sure that several of the best Operators that you have ever known, have heard a Navy collision alarm and have had to throw the turbine into reverse.  Granted, commercial plants aren't designed for that, but, it's an experience that you can't put in a simulator.
It's not needed in a commercial simulator.

Westinghouse made some plants to go to the North Pole and made others to make more energy in 18 months than a ship will in its lifetime.

Why does this Military vs Commercial issue have to continue?

Here's a challenge for you KP88:   start up both reactors and then come back and make your comparison.

Fermi2

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:23 »
Is that an exclusive or inclusive statement?

Exclusive

Fermi2

« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:24 »
Maybe not your ten best, but I'm sure that several of the best Operators that you have ever known, have heard a Navy collision alarm and have had to throw the turbine into reverse.  Granted, commercial plants aren't designed for that, but, it's an experience that you can't put in a simulator.

No they've just had to survive a feedpump trip and runback from 100% power. A MUCH harder scenario.

I've done both. I should know.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2010, 05:24 by Broadzilla »

ISOCS

« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:16 »
No they've just had to survive a feedpump trip and runback from 100% power. A MUCH harder scenario.

I've done both. I should know.

Try being on the 3rd floor of unit 2 turbine building at Oconee when the MSRH 150 steam elbow blew like a cigar with a firecracker in it. I ran faster!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?