Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Suggestions for a first year college student honeypot

Author Topic: Suggestions for a first year college student  (Read 55290 times)

Fermi2

Re: Suggestions for a first year college student
« Reply #25 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:00 »
If you want to be in the industry that attitude better change quickly. You're expected to be able to function at any time, and more importantly function at 100%. If you are called you're expected to come in and put your recommendation in writing. You best learn to present yourself well at all times snowflake.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:08 »
Well in that situation I have a job and I am responding to someone important, not a random guy over the internet on a school night. And I can give fine advice all day... but my spelling takes a hit after midnight

Ah yes, the classic Gen Y response..... when I'm comfy, well-rested and motivated, I rock! (well, my half-elf thief does anyways)

Guess what, you'll be more fatigued on the 5th night of night shift when the Shift Manager turns to you, the recently qualified STA, and asks "hey T-Baller, are we in an LCO or not?!?"

Oh, not going Ops with all those sweaty cave-men? Okay, so you are the junior mints EQ engineer at an underpaid utility near a beach, and you got the call from the folks in Nuclear Oversight with a question on HELB and whether a call needs to be made to NRC Region 4 regarding brand XXX insulation on primary insulation cables. The only other engineer in your cubicle quad is sweating, complains of a gut ache, and is still working on a separate related issue. Gonna bag the senior guy and head out for your dinner date (yeah, go eHarmony!) or stay late, and deal with the issue until your Manager gives guidance?

Disclosure: I may have seen one or both of these issues in a former existence. And the senior guy did get bagged. His burst appendix nearly killed him and took 3 weeks to heal. Moral: Give 100% and don't $h!tbag your work at any nuclear time!

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:22 »
Basically, for a first year college student, he's doing fine!  He asked some good questions, and got a couple good answers.  I hope he sticks with the forums in spite of the other distractive, off subject, useless criticisms that only serve to gum up the flow of decent and responsive information. 
Guess it's time to become a GM so I can add karma to Rich.  His answers were to the point and together with MLD's comments, made me wonder if I'm doing my son a disservice by having him take a load of college courses in high school.

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:30 »
BTW Rich gave a great answer, however nothing in here was distracting. This child wants to be a nuke, he needs to get his head in the game and have good habits from day one. He shouldn't be pampered because he won't get pampered in the industry.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:36 »
Out of 3 posts, all of which were of decent length, it looked like he didn't start a couple paragraphs with caps.  His thought process is laid out well, and he seems like a normal college kid with a good future in front of him.  I think we go overboard on grammer enforcement is all.  And he certainly doesn't deserve to be called a snowflake.  Dang it.. I'm distracting from the topic by even addressing you addressing him.  Oh well..  I slipped and fell onto a soap box.  I'll jump off.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 04:37 by Creeker »

Fermi2

« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2010, 05:31 »
Is he a qualified nuke? If not he's a snowflake.
By your standard (which I'm certain in real life isn't your standard) it's ok to make a mistake r two, one f which could be the calculation for a Modification that might 2 years from now be the reason your entire ECCS doesn't work.

MLD Woody

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:12 »
Wow, this is crazy. Maybe its a generation gap or something but general INTERNET FORUM edicit for me is to get my point across when answering or asking a question and present it in an easy to read way. Getting hung up on a spelling error here or gramitical error here seems really pointless.

Yes I will obviously need to be ready all the time and be willing to contribute 110% when I am working on important things in school or have a job as an engineer. But to devise that I can't do that based off of one post I made on a forum at 2AM is idiotic. Not only do those two situations not even remotely relate but you don't know anything about me. To say I can't be an engineer and I'll mess things up down the road BASED OFF OF AN INTERNET FORUM POST, is again, ignorant. And I also really don't get the snowflake thing, but to each his own.

Really though, calling me a child, saying I have poor work habits, and everything else you said really makes you look like an immature ass. I'm thankful there were others here like Rich and Creeker that could look at my question and formulate a very well though out response. You instead saw a grammatical error and then chastized me.

Same goes for HydroDave, what did any of that mean? Because I made a spelling error I am immediately lumped in with your misconceived notion of what my generation is? Well that's great, happy you could keep an open mind (I don't even play RPGs by the way). Maybe this is just the generation gap or maybe its just you guys, but I'm really dissappointed in some of this. Is that what my generation is thought of by you guys? Lazy, unmotivated slobs? Well thank god I won't be interveiwing with you when I go for a job. Or maybe, I'll be better off. You'll think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread when I put a sentence together and wear a suit. I mean. this generation can't do that right?

And to Creeker, taking college courses in High School if they are offered is a great thing, I wouldn't worry. It helps prepare you for college and gives you a boost in your credits needed to graduate. If your son is positive on what he would like to do, it'll work out great. You can either take those credits and try to graduate early, or spread out your remaining course load and have less stress on your hands or add in my classes for another degree. If he is unsure on what to do this'll give him more leniency and help him not waste time while he's figuring it out.

Now, that was a long post but, I think I made my point. I could go spell check this right now but I think in the spirit of this post I won't. Hopefully it'll show you that I can put together a coherent thought, even if I mispelled something.

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2010, 07:31 »
Off topic, but this is why it's tough to even lurk on Nukeworker anymore. A freshman asks a freshman question (hey I was there once before, too), and before a good dialogue can get going the thread gets pissed on by Broadzilla and his fanboys for punctuation or how chat-speak is going to someday lead to inopping ECCS. What do you know about university engineering programs?

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:14 »
I have seen both worlds.  The degree will only get you in the door for an interview.  Once hired, you will learn or be taught everything that you need to know to do your job.  That is what the qualification process is for.  Your performance will also be the factor that moves you ahead and not what is on your diploma.

I earned a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering and then hired in as a NLO.  I think that this was a very good move for me.  I am now a Licensed Operator.  I learn new stuff everyday.  With the huge retirement tsunami coming down the road in the next few years, there should be plenty of jobs.  The only chance at getting any of these jobs is having the correct combination of education and experience. 

co60slr

« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:01 »
I earned a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering and then hired in as a NLO.  I think that this was a very good move for me.  I am now a Licensed Operator.  I learn new stuff everyday.  With the huge retirement tsunami coming down the road in the next few years, there should be plenty of jobs.  The only chance at getting any of these jobs is having the correct combination of education and experience. 
You don't need a degree to be an NLO, RO, or SRO (i.e., Ops).   What was your college and GPA?

MLD Woody

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2010, 11:12 »
I've gotta go learn what all these acronyms are, lol

Fermi2

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2010, 11:22 »
You will need a degree to get in OPS with no Navy experience.  The instant RO is just now being figured out.  It used to be that the only way to RO was through the NLO ranks.  I recommend OPS.  You make tons of money and learn the plant hands on.  You can always jump over to engineering later.

Texas A&M

Incorrect, you can become an NLO without a degree or Navy experience.

As for NR, sorry, I'm a Shift Manager, I demand perfection and if this snowflake can't deliver it then he doesn't belong in the industry.

thenuttyneutron

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:06 »
Incorrect, you can become an NLO without a degree or Navy experience.

As for NR, sorry, I'm a Shift Manager, I demand perfection and if this snowflake can't deliver it then he doesn't belong in the industry.

I said you would need a degree to get in OPS with no naval experience, not what the minimum requirements are.  I have never seen a guy with anything less than an associates degree get a job offer.  I would be surprised if I saw a guy with just a high school diploma get past HR.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010, 12:08 by Nutty Neutron »

Offline hogs

• Light User
« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:34 »
I said you would need a degree to get in OPS with no naval experience, not what the minimum requirements are.  I have never seen a guy with anything less than an associates degree get a job offer.  I would be surprised if I saw a guy with just a high school diploma get past HR.

Unless you hire in with the company in a different area, like as a clerk or laborer.  Many will lock in in-house high school graduates before even looking outside for degreed/navy. 

Agree with the ME choice and spelling adjustments, but study what you want.  Disagree with studying for what you want to do later on.  Do what you want to do and expand your mind. Have you thought about joining a fraternity or something to socialize yourself more and expand your thinking?  Talking to us about your school's ranking is like a rich dude talking to other rich dudes about how much money he has. 

Also this thread is awesome.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:15 »
Woody - don't sweat the grumpy old men - they still remember when the reactors were made of wood, and they split atoms with their teeth. Neither BZ or HD are as perfect as they want you to be - but underneath the growling are 2 very smart, experienced people. Just filter the rhetoric... and welcome to NW.  8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

co60slr

« Reply #40 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:38 »
you know the search function works well for old hands too;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5728.msg34233.html#msg34233

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5387.msg33957.html#msg33957
It takes 10 seconds to type a sentence and 60 seconds to search/copy/paste.  All good.

MLD Woody

« Reply #41 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:35 »
I know I received a booklet that had information about the graduating class and their salaries based off of their degree. I'll try to find it when I get back from class.

I don't really consider myself a Greek Life kinda guy, so a fraternity seems unlikely. I am playing IM Flag Football with the student chapter of American Nuclear Society though, haha

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #42 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:08 »

I'm gonna have to throw a flag on that one.  

Most things are NOT perfect in nuclear power.  We set the bar at an acceptable level, and have defense-in-depth to protect us when one system (or person) falls below that mark.

(Aren't all our human performance tools based on the FACT that humans are NOT perfect?)

« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010, 03:40 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

MLD Woody

« Reply #43 on: Oct 26, 2010, 01:17 »
Its ok, i'm a lazy, flawed snowflake

Fermi2

« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2010, 03:57 »
I'm gonna have to throw a flag on that one.  

Most things are NOT perfect in nuclear power.  We set the bar at an acceptable level, and have defense-in-depth to protect us when one system (or person) falls below that mark.

(Aren't all our human performance tools based on the FACT that humans are NOT perfect?)

I still demand it and if one cannot deliver it I'd prefer they not be around.

MacGyver

« Reply #45 on: Oct 26, 2010, 06:55 »

Yes, UncaB' you are correct.  Not that you needed my at'a'boy but you got it none'th'less.  Use of the human performance tools, that have been collected from all the OE we and other disciplines have learned from over the years, is due to the human (err) nature in us all.

But, let me add one more not mentioned in our human performance toolbox (nuclear).

To all posters ... there are hazardous human attitudes (5 to be exact, BZ perfection if you ask me  ;) ).  Which ones are you exhibiting?

Hazardous Attitudes:
1. Anti-authority (“Don’t tell me!”).
2. Impulsivity (“Do something quickly!”).
3. Invulnerability (“It won’t happen to me!”).
4. Macho (“I can do it!”).
5. Resignation (“What’s the use?”).

Anti-Dotes:
1. Follow the rules they are usually right.
2. Not so fast. Think first.
3. It could happen to me.
4. Taking chances is foolish.
5. I'm not helpless. I can make a difference.

I am thinking of re-naming it "The Five Hazardous Poster Attitudes."
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2010, 07:13 by MacGyver »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #46 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:03 »

I still demand it and if one cannot deliver it I'd prefer they not be around.

Oh...we'd all prefer to have perfect subordinates...  :)

Unfortunately, they insist on staffing these plants with humans...so we end up having to work with a range from just-competent-enough-to-keep-from-getting-fired up to Broadzilla-esque...  ;)  

That's why I prefer to encourage ALL posters when they first come on the site.  If they hang out with NukeWorkers that are exhibiting positive traits, maybe they will pick some of it up...and we will get them closer to the Broadzilla mark?  (If they are still clueless after the first dozen posts, then I ignore them, but...I think we can let them get oriented before we expect too much...)

We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

MLD Woody

« Reply #47 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:21 »
Hazardous Attitudes:
1. Anti-authority (“Don’t tell me!”).
2. Impulsivity (“Do something quickly!”).
3. Invulnerability (“It won’t happen to me!”).
4. Macho (“I can do it!”).
5. Resignation (“What’s the use?”).

A little 2, 3 and 4.

I'm a little 1 and 4.

MLD Woody

« Reply #48 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:03 »
IOE 434. Human Error and Complex System Failures
Prerequisite: IOE 333 or IOE 536 or Permission of Instructor. II (3 credits)
Introduction to a new systems-oriented approach to safety management and the analysis of complex system failures. The course covers a wide range of factors contributing to system failures: human perceptual and cognitive abilities and limitations, the design of modern technologies and interfaces, and biases in accident investigation and error analysis.  Recent concepts in the area of high reliability organizations and resilience engineering are reviewed. Students perform systems analysis of actual mishaps and disasters in various domains, including various modes of transportation, process control, and health care.

Offline hogs

• Light User
« Reply #49 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:27 »
I know I received a booklet that had information about the graduating class and their salaries based off of their degree. I'll try to find it when I get back from class.

I don't really consider myself a Greek Life kinda guy, so a fraternity seems unlikely. I am playing IM Flag Football with the student chapter of American Nuclear Society though, haha

Hey that's cool about your football playing.  It seemed like there wasn't a lot of time in your class schedule for other types of classes and it's always important to actively continue developing people knowledge/skills, especially since you seem interested in business management.  I am not naturally good at people but I'd be a lot worse off if I hadn't done something continually.  Maybe it's just me, though: Marssim does not seem to think it is important to learn about humans.  Fraternities can be challenging in good ways, like an immersion class, but there are other ways to challenge that area too.

Also, don't ignore opportunities to obtain regular mentoring, whether from faculty or older students.  It will be hard sometimes, but keep up your enthusiasm for what you are doing!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?