Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Suggestions for a first year college student

Author Topic: Suggestions for a first year college student  (Read 55246 times)

MLD Woody

Re: Suggestions for a first year college student
« Reply #50 on: Oct 26, 2010, 08:31 »
Hey that's cool about your football playing.  It seemed like there wasn't a lot of time in your class schedule for other types of classes and it's always important to actively continue developing people knowledge/skills, especially since you seem interested in business management.  I am not naturally good at people but I'd be a lot worse off if I hadn't done something continually.  Maybe it's just me, though: Marssim does not seem to think it is important to learn about humans.  Fraternities can be challenging in good ways, like an immersion class, but there are other ways to challenge that area too.

Also, don't ignore opportunities to obtain regular mentoring, whether from faculty or older students.  It will be hard sometimes, but keep up your enthusiasm for what you are doing!

Thanks for the support.

Ya over the last few years I have become more and more involved in athletics. I've always done some but I have more of a drive for the competition now. IM soccer is over so its time for football. And judging by how well ANS faired last season (the first 6 weeks) they can use all the help they can get, lol

Sun Dog

« Reply #51 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:20 »
Great list...at the risk of being accused of plagiarism, I will share this....

Hazardous Attitudes:
1. Anti-authority (“Don’t tell me!”).
2. Impulsivity (“Do something quickly!”).
3. Invulnerability (“It won’t happen to me!”).
4. Macho (“I can do it!”).
5. Resignation (“What’s the use?”).

Anti-Dotes:
1. Follow the rules they are usually right.
2. Not so fast. Think first.
3. It could happen to me.
4. Taking chances is foolish.
5. I'm not helpless. I can make a difference.

I am thinking of re-naming it "The Five Hazardous Poster Attitudes."

Fermi2

« Reply #52 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:48 »
I've trained 6 very good Shift Managers now so I guess my perfection uber alles attitude works.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #53 on: Oct 26, 2010, 11:53 »
I've trained 6 very good Shift Managers now so I guess my perfection über alles attitude works.

BZ reviews his candidates prior to NRC interviews
[/youtube]

Offline walstib

• Moderate User
  • I hate Monday's
« Reply #54 on: Oct 27, 2010, 08:21 »
Yes, UncaB' you are correct.  Not that you needed my at'a'boy but you got it none'th'less.  Use of the human performance tools, that have been collected from all the OE we and other disciplines have learned from over the years, is due to the human (err) nature in us all.

But, let me add one more not mentioned in our human performance toolbox (nuclear).

To all posters ... there are hazardous human attitudes (5 to be exact, BZ perfection if you ask me  ;) ).  Which ones are you exhibiting?

Hazardous Attitudes:
1. Anti-authority (“Don’t tell me!”).
2. Impulsivity (“Do something quickly!”).
3. Invulnerability (“It won’t happen to me!”).
4. Macho (“I can do it!”).
5. Resignation (“What’s the use?”).

Anti-Dotes:
1. Follow the rules they are usually right.
2. Not so fast. Think first.
3. It could happen to me.
4. Taking chances is foolish.
5. I'm not helpless. I can make a difference.

I am thinking of re-naming it "The Five Hazardous Poster Attitudes."

I agree, this is a very good list.  Although I submit to you that your Hazardous Attitudes #1 is more anti-responsibility then anti-authority
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail -Emerson
If you are going through hell, keep going
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - H S Thompson

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #55 on: Oct 27, 2010, 09:59 »
I've trained 6 very good Shift Managers now so I guess my perfection uber alles attitude works.

Striving for perfection when training a shift manager is great...perfect bosses make all our lives easier.

NukeWorker (NOT NukeShiftManager) has a wide range of participants...so I try to make my responses broad enough to be useful (and palatable) to those who don't have an immediate ability to achieve perfection.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:10 »
I have been lurking for a while, and your posts have caught my eye, and I have a question for you. You have been a shift manager since 2000.

I suspect this is one of those users that quit, and have come back.  But I can't figure out who it is.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #57 on: Oct 27, 2010, 12:31 »
I suspect this is one of those users that quit, and have come back.  But I can't figure out who it is.

Sometimes that's the beauty of it ;)

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #58 on: Oct 27, 2010, 11:30 »
I have been lurking for a while, and your posts have caught my eye, and I have a question for you. You have been a shift manager since 2000.

My question is, why are you still a shift manager? Most shift managers I know, do a 2-3 year stint and move on and up through the company. I know shift managers who have become vice presidents in that time. I know so call "t-ballers" who have been hired as direct SROs, become shift managers, and become directors in that time. So why, are you stuck at shift manager? I guess, perhaps, you aren't stuck at all, and it could be a personal choice or you are too valuable in your current role.

Just curious.

Thanks for joining up as a Gold Member.  I see that you've taken advantage of that and copied from the GM area into the open area to set up your question.  While we have been running a bit more hands-off as far as moderating and I know that the forum rules don't prohibit it, this one just has a bad feel to me.  Had it been in a PM to Broadzilla that would be one thing.  It stays but I'd appreciate it if the GM area quotes stay there in the future.  

No matter what, Welcome to Nukeworker.  I'm glad you're here and look forward to many years of your contributions.

Peace,
Tom
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 11:52 by Nuclear NASCAR »
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

« Reply #59 on: Oct 27, 2010, 11:42 »
I like the job, and when exactly did I say I've never been anything higher than an SM?

MLD Woody

« Reply #60 on: Oct 28, 2010, 05:40 »
So I'm not worried about graduating a year early any more, my parents said not to worry about it and to take my time with college. That's nice of them. Because of this I won't have to decide on what to declare for another semseter. Especially because now I am leaning more toward mechanical. I also have to decide if I want to try to get a degree in something else while I'm here, because I will have the extra time.

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:04 »

I still demand it and if one cannot deliver it I'd prefer they not be around.

To follow the HPI tool a little more..... For the sake of this discussion I will assume that you are performing in the top 5% of your work classification. HPI statistics show that the best (top 5%) workers only make 2-4 errors per hour worked. Most of these are so minor that they contribute nothing (0.00) to accident precursor statistics and pass unnoticed. So since nobody is perfect, (not even you) do you prefer not to be around yourself? Get over yourself.......

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Fermi2

« Reply #62 on: Oct 28, 2010, 06:55 »
So I'm not worried about graduating a year early any more, my parents said not to worry about it and to take my time with college. That's nice of them. Because of this I won't have to decide on what to declare for another semseter. Especially because now I am leaning more toward mechanical. I also have to decide if I want to try to get a degree in something else while I'm here, because I will have the extra time.

BTW man. IMHO Never graduate early. Enjoy your life and youth while you can. My daughter has been offered the chance to move up a grade twice and both times I've said no, be a baby while the chance is still available.

Fermi2

« Reply #63 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:00 »
You got me, I guess. Then again, one can infer from 6 years of posts that that is all you have ever been. But to each their own as to how they handle their own careers, eh?

OPs Training Manager, Work Control Manager. When I left my old plant I left an offer on the table to be an Assistant Maintenance Manager with the understanding when the MM moved on I'd take his job, my issue with my old plant wasn't about a job, it was about ethics and morality so I said thank you have a nice day.. I always kept an active license and in two cases when a Shift was having issues volunteered to step down to turn the shift around.

I turned down an Ops Manager position at a plant and elected to come to SQN instead because it was right for my family. Since then I've interviewed as an Ops Manager (twice) and a Training Director (once) at three other facilities and again decided it wasn't in the best interest of my kids and in my life my kids come first.

MLD Woody

« Reply #64 on: Oct 28, 2010, 07:31 »
BTW man. IMHO Never graduate early. Enjoy your life and youth while you can. My daughter has been offered the chance to move up a grade twice and both times I've said no, be a baby while the chance is still available.

Wow, that  is the first time I've felt like you made an honest, nice response. Thank you.

...i'm not a baby

co60slr

« Reply #65 on: Oct 28, 2010, 08:25 »
...i'm not a baby
In what context did he mean, in what context did you respond, and what's the true biological context?

This is why we have so many problems here.   

MLD Woody

« Reply #66 on: Oct 28, 2010, 09:39 »
In what context did he mean, in what context did you respond, and what's the true biological context?

This is why we have so many problems here.   

Hahaha, ok so I can't joke around on this board. Gotcha

Fermi2

« Reply #67 on: Oct 28, 2010, 10:01 »
Wow, that  is the first time I've felt like you made an honest, nice response. Thank you.

...i'm not a baby

No, it's the first time you've been coddled. All my previour responses were honest and the most dead on in the entire thread. Your generation is used to being coddled so the second you hear something that doesn't coincide with your rose colored image of the world you believe it's not honest.

Learn to read, I never called you a baby.

MLD Woody

« Reply #68 on: Oct 28, 2010, 10:33 »
No, it's the first time you've been coddled. All my previour responses were honest and the most dead on in the entire thread. Your generation is used to being coddled so the second you hear something that doesn't coincide with your rose colored image of the world you believe it's not honest.

Learn to read, I never called you a baby.

And am I to believe your generation is full a pricks that have a superiority complex over this generation? And that can't tell when somethings a joke?

Luckily I don't

maybe it comes from everyone saying the generation two up from mine is the greatest generation, and you had to grow up with that. So when you get the chance you belittle this generation and trash it to make yourself subconsciously feel better you do. Is this all in your head and you are just acting out years of oppression and turmoil?

Or are you just being mean?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #69 on: Oct 28, 2010, 10:56 »
And am I to believe your generation is full a pricks that have a superiority complex over this generation? And that can't tell when somethings a joke?

Would you have an exchange like this with one of your professors? That little respect for every person that has gone before you? I doubt it.

So let me explain commercial nuclear power to you, since someone has been deficient: you are trying to butt heads with a guy making twice what the chairman of your department makes, and could be the guy making hiring decisions for people like you when you graduate and get ready to learn enough to make a living.

BZ is crude (real-life as well as virtual), but I am offended when I see a student disrespect him when he is giving his time to answer questions.

(AND I REALLY HATE IT WHEN I AM COMPELLED TO BACK UP A VOL FAN!)

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

MLD Woody

« Reply #70 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:16 »
Would you have an exchange like this with one of your professors? That little respect for every person that has gone before you? I doubt it.

So let me explain commercial nuclear power to you, since someone has been deficient: you are trying to butt heads with a guy making twice what the chairman of your department makes, and could be the guy making hiring decisions for people like you when you graduate and get ready to learn enough to make a living.

BZ is crude (real-life as well as virtual), but I am offended when I see a student disrespect him when he is giving his time to answer questions.

(AND I REALLY HATE IT WHEN I AM COMPELLED TO BACK UP A VOL FAN!)

you know the line below that I said I don't (I don't have anything against the generation above me). He was just taking all these "your generation this" and "your generation that" shots.

But I am sure now that I said that it means I can never be in nuclear power. Because if I insulted someone older then me here that means I will never be able to follow directions or listen to a boss... bummer

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #71 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:33 »
But I am sure now that I said that it means I can never be in nuclear power. Because if I insulted someone older then me here that means I will never be able to follow directions or listen to a boss... bummer

Well, you managed to leave a whiny pantload as thanks for Roll Tide's advice.

On-topic generational comparison: 

Our generation wanted to be cool like Adam West (Batman) and tough like Captain Kirk

Yours watches Adam Lambert and wants to be like Mr. Sulu (George Takei)

Or, another comparison..... when you watch the movie "Crimson Tide", your generation thinks Denzell as the XO is awesome and "rad" because he knows some goofy Silversurfer comic book crap. The guys here responding in this thread applaud the Captain because we actually were proud to serve with harda$$es like that who took us in Harm's Way and got us back safe.

MLD Woody

« Reply #72 on: Oct 28, 2010, 11:56 »
I don't really think you are in a position to generalize what my generation believes and what our values are
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010, 12:14 by MLD Woody »

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #73 on: Oct 29, 2010, 04:32 »
I repeat, would you have started an exchange like that with one of your professors? I know you said more, but I am trying to point out to you that this site has some potentially valuable resources for your future.

Do I think you will never be in nuclear power? No. Now that the straw man argument is out of the way, take some feedback. Because if you do work in commercial nuclear power, you will have lots of feedback.

Since you don't like the expression, "coddled", let me say this in the walking on eggshells manner that doesn't direct anything directly towards you as you prefer: I would have given half a paycheck when I was in the Navy to get some honest direct feedback from an active Shift Manager on how to get ready for a commercial nuclear career. I hope you see the potential value in the feedback from some of your elders.

Good luck.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

MacGyver

« Reply #74 on: Oct 29, 2010, 12:47 »
Hahaha, ok so I can't joke around on this board. Gotcha

Nope you are the joke.  :o >:( -K (if I could alter karma).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?