Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Suggestions for a first year college student honeypot

Author Topic: Suggestions for a first year college student  (Read 55273 times)

MLD Woody

Re: Suggestions for a first year college student
« Reply #75 on: Oct 29, 2010, 09:06 »
I don't even know what to say anymore... I think this is just coming from a fundamental difference of forum vs. career/school/etc. And its clear I'm not winning, or am atleast out numbered.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #76 on: Oct 29, 2010, 09:54 »
I don't even know what to say anymore... I think this is just coming from a fundamental difference of forum vs. career/school/etc. And its clear I'm not winning, or am atleast out numbered.

Probably better to cut your losses at this point.

If you want some honest, friendly and truthfull advice about commercial nuclear power, feel free to PM me.

I know it appears I have one post, but I needed time away from this site due some personal issues. But I am back, and you can find 1800 or so posts from me in the past on here.

I am a licensed BWR SRO and currently going for my PWR SRO license.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2010, 11:20 by JustinHEMI »

Offline Estis

• Light User
« Reply #77 on: Oct 29, 2010, 10:32 »

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Like you, most newcomers view this board as just another forum. A portion of the more established posters here consider this to be a Professional Forum. Basically, treat this forum like you're at a professional convention or trade show and you will be fine. That's what I try to do at least.
Note: I am currently a NUB, therefore, take all answers/replies/opinions with the grain of salt it deserves

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #78 on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:02 »
I don't even know what to say anymore... I think this is just coming from a fundamental difference of forum vs. career/school/etc. And its clear I'm not winning, or am at least out numbered.

Whatever you do, don't let our curmudgeon brigade get to you very long.  I believe nit harvesting season is at its peak right now, hence the amount of picking being done.   ;)

One thing I can guarantee you is that get honest opinions and you've already gotten a taste of the amount of perfection demanded in this industry.  The biggest reasons behind that are a few places that you've heard of like Three Mile Island &  Chernobyl.  We are constantly under the threat of losing public confidence should we experience another incident such as these. 

I've been in the power company business for almost 26 years, but only in the nuclear side for the last 12.  The atmosphere in a control room, fossil fuel or nuclear, always has an edge and tension present.  It's much more palpable in a nuclear unit, though. 

That being said, I still don't consider that to be complete justification your treatment, more of an explanation of what's behind it.  We have no right to expect ANY newcomer to automatically "Know Who I Am!" when any of our veteran members post.  I also believe in leading by example.  If we are going to demand respect we should also show respect.  Not by giving 57 warm fuzzies and coddling new posters, but by being industrious enough to to help rather than lazy and getting our exercise by jumping to conclusions & running over people. 

There will always be a gap between generations, people who know more than most people, and questions that have been asked thousands of times.  It's part of the learning process.  The wise ones among us see that both sides can learn from each other, don't judge on first impressions, and move on past posturing to conversation. 

End of my  [soap] [hijack] [OT] rant. 
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

co60slr

« Reply #79 on: Oct 30, 2010, 04:42 »
You're fine.  You need to learn when to ignore comments from anonymous posters that aren't answering your question.  However, if you choose to argue, debate you need to have your act together and do it correctly...especially given the "newness" of your profile, nuclear experience, etc.

However, know this:  the one special attribute about our industry is that even the new guy is expected to stand up and make a point if something isn't going right in the Nuclear Plant.   Perhaps you'll be a young engineer one day making a technical argument and meeting similar resistance.   Are you going to walk away?

You have to make better arguments then telling someone "you can't think that way".   What hiring managers "think" of your generation is valid, just as it was for my generation 20 years ago.  Some feel that "kids" these days are getting lazy.  So, prove them wrong.  Should be easy for you...right?

Don't worry about the people calling you "a joke".   It's easy to throw rotten fruit at someone from an anonymous sideline.  This doesn't happen on Facebook where real names are published, nor would it happen if we were at a Job Fair.   In fact, when people treat others like some do in this Forum in a real job setting, their job is at risk.

"Don't wrestle with a pig in the mud.  He'll enjoy it while you only get dirty".

Brush yourself off and move on with digesting the ton of information you've been given.  Your biggest concern in any event should be your GPA, not what someone anonymous poster pokes at you on Nukeworker.com.

Co58

co60slr

« Reply #80 on: Oct 30, 2010, 04:56 »
Nope you are the joke.  :o >:( -K (if I could alter karma).
No, you're the joke.  There are over 3,000 views to this thread from around the country and you just embarrassed the website.

In my experience, Navy Nukes enlist for two reasons:  1)  They drank their way out of college, 2) financial reasons to not start, or had to leave as an unfortunate result.    When you were 19 years old, where you in a position to decide between a BSME or BSNE?   Do you have one now?   If not, why are you jumping into this thread?

The major difference here is that while our "newbie" is fumbling around figuring out this Forum and our Industry, you "should" know better.  Unless of course you came from one of these submarines that we all read about in the Navy Times that had no standards.  Your midwatch underway antics towards other people may have been accepted on your ship, but they're not here in open public forum.

Offline War Eagle

• Moderate User
  • PWR SRO
« Reply #81 on: Oct 30, 2010, 07:01 »
I am a licensed BWR SRO and currently going for my PWR SRO license.

Welcome back, Justin!  [salute] What plant are you licensing at?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #82 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:01 »
Welcome back, Justin!  [salute] What plant are you licensing at?

TY. Beaver Valley. Had to move closer to Pittsburgh (UPMC) for family health reasons.

MLD Woody

« Reply #83 on: Oct 30, 2010, 01:56 »
oh ya, don't worry. I am not really paying any attention to the insults or people calling me "a joke". The last thing I'll do is let this thread consume my life and have it affect my GPA, haha. In fact, it's just something interesting to look at on the bus or while I'm doing HW.

Its funny though. It seems like some people want me to argue back and others want me to be quiet and sit back.

Can't we all just get along?

I've gotta leave for ANS Flag Football practice (ya, we're legit) and then watch some Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear later, so have fun on this thread guys.

Fermi2

« Reply #84 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:54 »
Calling someone a joke is uncalled for, you simply don't treat people that way.

On the other hand this kid simply does not have what it takes to make it in this industry so the best thing for him is to forget it. He simply will not accept input that doesn't fit in with his view of himself.

BTW I realize this generation has been in the desert for a decade HOWEVER this kid isn't in the desert and I'm certain those who have been there would be as appalled as I am by him. When it comes to threads from the kids I do the daughter test, I have my 18 year old daughter read the post and give her opinion. Here's her words " What a whining tool" (Yes the apple didn't even bother falling from the tree there)
My son and his best friend " So this kid seems a lot immature, needs his arse kicked"
To kids of his generation he seems childish and in need of a butt kicking.

JustinHemi which unit?

MLD Woody

« Reply #85 on: Nov 01, 2010, 05:49 »
Must.... hold.... back.... justified.... response....

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #86 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:21 »
Calling someone a joke is uncalled for, you simply don't treat people that way.

On the other hand this kid simply does not have what it takes to make it in this industry so the best thing for him is to forget it. He simply will not accept input that doesn't fit in with his view of himself.

BTW I realize this generation has been in the desert for a decade HOWEVER this kid isn't in the desert and I'm certain those who have been there would be as appalled as I am by him. When it comes to threads from the kids I do the daughter test, I have my 18 year old daughter read the post and give her opinion. Here's her words " What a whining tool" (Yes the apple didn't even bother falling from the tree there)
My son and his best friend " So this kid seems a lot immature, needs his arse kicked"
To kids of his generation he seems childish and in need of a butt kicking.

JustinHemi which unit?

Unit 2.

Offline hogs

• Light User
« Reply #87 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:55 »
I've gotta leave for ANS Flag Football practice (ya, we're legit) and then watch some Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear later, so have fun on this thread guys.

Awesome, keep on developing your social skills! 

Fermi2

« Reply #88 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:58 »
Must.... hold.... back.... justified.... response....

No you have no justified response, Three kids of your age group, all very responsible pretty much called it right.

Justin that's the 4 Loop Westinghouse plant right?

MLD Woody

« Reply #89 on: Nov 01, 2010, 04:43 »
 :-X

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #90 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:15 »
No you have no justified response, Three kids of your age group, all very responsible pretty much called it right.

Westinghouse, yes, but they are 3 loop. Somewhere in the mid 900's MWs.

Fermi2

« Reply #91 on: Nov 01, 2010, 08:36 »
I thought Unit 4 was a 4 Loop Plant.
Don't you love the idea of Rods having to be pulled to certain withdrawal limits in order to prove you can shutdown the reactor?
Power defect was a mind boggling concept, things just weren't done that way in the BWR world!

As usual if you need any help just let me know!

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #92 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:18 »
Thanks! I already miss my big ol BWRs. :(
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010, 11:55 by JustinHEMI »

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #93 on: Nov 01, 2010, 10:27 »

-1. Try using the "search" function of the internet:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/operation/operation_tbl3.pdf

Fermi2

« Reply #94 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:05 »
-1. Try using the "search" function of the internet:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/nuclear/page/operation/operation_tbl3.pdf

Get an SRO License then you can comment.

Justin what stage of training are you in now? What till you get to EOPs, it's a totally different world than what you learned at a BWR.

Offline RTRT

• Light User
« Reply #95 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:13 »

Justin what stage of training are you in now? What till you get to EOPs, it's a totally different world than what you learned at a BWR.

Is this "on topic"

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #96 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:15 »

Just starting. I have to go through GFES again.

MLD Woody

« Reply #97 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:16 »

Is this "on topic"

he killed the topic

oh shi----  :-X

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #98 on: Nov 02, 2010, 12:29 »
Well it did bump the thread (as if it needed it).

You have received some good information, the ball is pretty much in your court.  Don't waste time arguing details.  While you are seeking a career, BZ is well set and secure in his.

Good luck with school.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Nuclear Renaissance

« Reply #99 on: Nov 02, 2010, 04:08 »

I have an active SRO license. And 2 ABET engineering degrees. And plenty of commercial nuclear, DOE and supervisory experience.

Isn't nit-picking the search function ridiculous?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?