Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Given a choice between the following BWR's which would you choose honeypot

Author Topic: Given a choice between the following BWR's which would you choose  (Read 17705 times)

tselby

I interviewed and was offered a job as an SRO at Hatch
additionally in the following 2 weeks i have interviews at Susquehanna and Perry.....

Assuming all 3 are offered i am trying to guage opinion on which one would be the best plant / company to work for?

R/Todd

Currently i am a Chem Supvr at Fitzpatrick

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
There will be a bit of "You're not from around here." in Baxley.  You know... because you are a Yankee and all.  they are big into civil war reenactments there.

tselby

there is a huge difference in salary too, at least between Southern and PP&L

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
There will be a bit of "You're not from around here." in Baxley.  You know... because you are a Yankee and all.  they are big into civil war reenactments there.

And they still hate to lose.

tselby

who hates to lose?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
there is a huge difference in salary too, at least between Southern and PP&L

PP&L also has wind energy marketing avenues and all sorts of other comfy corporate-type possibilities. But....do they have that special recipe fried chicken for lunch on days ending in "Y" ? ;)

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
who hates to lose?

the reenactors

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
the reenactors

That's why they only get 20 or so Union re-enactors, much safer that way to have fewer downrange when "Maxwell's Battery" accidentally loads canister...

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
additionally in the following 2 weeks i have interviews at Susquehanna and Perry.....

Assuming all 3 are offered i am trying to guage opinion on which one would be the best plant / company to work for?

R/Todd

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,858.0.html
Susquehanna = 64% positive
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,918.0/viewResults.html
Perry = 4% positive
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,941.0/viewResults.html
Hatch = 40% positive

Based on those stats...I'd take Susquehanna.

Based on personal experience...I'd take Susquehanna.  ;)

Good Luck.  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 03:40 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator

MacGyver

R/Todd

Just as a point of reference for those at home keeping score:
You will be considered a "Yankee" {sic} if originate from North of the Altamaha River.

And, as a point in fact:
Everyone pays better and the cost of living has nothing to do with it.  That argument is a fallacy.

My opinion:
Take Susquehanna {just as advised by Unca'B} over all others.
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2010, 06:42 by MacGyver »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
I heard a rumor we're not getting liberty until a flank run to Haifa....

On-Topic:  Only one of the 3 BWR choices has degraded cornerstones and  supplemental inspections. Guess which one?

499tarheel

I don't think the PPL plant is the one Dave is talking about.

PPL would pay much better regardless of COLA. I'd guess Hatch would be around $85K + 7K license bonus per year once you get on shift.
PPL is probably $115K + 14K license bonus once on shift. Not familiar with the other plant you mentioned.

Also ask how overtime compensation above and beyond the customary is handled. I know that varies widely, and could add up to some serious coin.

Another thought, if you just want to get an SRO feather and branch out, then it doesn't matter where you go for an SRO license. What is your goal long term? Control Room or Corporate?

Fermi2

Go to Hatch.

Offline tymekeeper

• Light User
If you like the weather at Fitz, then stay north. I have worked both Hatch and Perry as an RP. The people are nice at both, the weather was better at Hatch (I'm originally from the south), Perry is a very "hot" plant when it comes to considering dose rates and contamination levels, Hatch is in the country with little night life or bars (if you are in to that); Perry doesn't have that problem, nearer to Cleveland area. Hatch has 2 units, Perry has one.

No worries about lake effect snow or white outs at Hatch.

Never worked Susquehana.

Offline Contract SRO

• Moderate User
I'd guess Hatch would be around $85K + 7K license bonus per year once you get on shift.

Thank goodness your wise enough to say I'd guess, but your not even in the ballpark.  As for cost of living being the same.........a $500k house in the north can be built for $250k in Baxley so obviously the cost of living is the same.      New math I guess?

Fermi2

Susquehanna's training department is on probation... so... yeah you might want to steer clear on second thought.

I wouldn't sweat probation, usually it has nothing to do with how well people are trained.

JustinHEMI05

I wouldn't sweat probation, usually it has nothing to do with how well people are trained.

True. But I do know who took over the training department so... perhaps look elsewhere. :D

JustinHEMI05

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Fermi2

True. But I do know who took over the training department so... perhaps look elsewhere. :D

A MUCH more worrisome sign than probation!

Offline tr

• Moderate User
All 3 plants seem to offer very different "lifestyle" options.  I'd be more concerned about what type of non-work environment you prefer.  In addition to the actual plants, you should also look at what you want long term as far as corporate, other company owned plants, etc.  I'm familiar with both Perry and Susquehanna.  As an formerly BWR SRO licensed engineer, I prefer the BWR-6 plant design.

tselby

Someone please give me some insight on who took over at PPL ,,,,

TR - as fir the lifestyles ive lived both ,,, close to the big city & out in the middle of nowhere USA (USEC Inc piketon ohio) those adjustments are liveable,,,,,,,

JustinHEMI05

Someone please give me some insight on who took over at PPL ,,,,

TR - as fir the lifestyles ive lived both ,,, close to the big city & out in the middle of nowhere USA (USEC Inc piketon ohio) those adjustments are liveable,,,,,,,

Don't worry about it. He will fix the training program, he just won't be making friends doing it.

Fermi2

There's at least one plant you couldn't pay me enough to work at because the Ops Manager is a back stabbing spineless tool.

JustinHEMI05

There's at least one plant you couldn't pay me enough to work at because the Ops Manager is a back stabbing spineless tool.

Kinda describes the person I mentioned.

tselby

Mike;
I'd be willing to bet there is more than one Ops manager just like you describe,
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2010, 12:56 by tselby »

Fermi2

Put it this way, my wife calls him Snake.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Put it this way, my wife calls him Snake.

That almost sounds like a sea story involving a hot tub or something..... ;)

Fermi2

LOL!

tselby

Mike maybe it is a theme with the company with which they work for........... They breed them especially nice up here

Offline vagabond

• Light User

Isn't that a prerequisite included in the job description?
Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Fermi2

Isn't that a prerequisite included in the job description?

No, not True. I've found virtually every boss I've had to be pretty good people and and have gotten on well with them. There've been disagreements at times but that happens. I've found only one to be a spineless backstabbing tool.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?