Career Path > DOE

DOE sites that pay new workers more than existing ones

(1/2) > >>

Content1:
Due to the scarcity of our particular workers, the new untrained are get 10-15% more for doing the same job.  No, there is no union here and not likely to happen.  It is an unfair situation, but short of quitting, there is nothing a person can do.   Anyone else experience this?

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Content1 on Oct 27, 2010, 09:05 ---Due to the scarcity of our particular workers, the new untrained are get 10-15% more for doing the same job.  No, there is no union here and not likely to happen.  It is an unfair situation, but short of quitting, there is nothing a person can do.   Anyone else experience this?

--- End quote ---

No, I've never experienced that...but I'd like to...assuming they will hire me as 'untrained'...  ;)

Seriously, I hope ALL of the current 'trained' workers are honing their resume...on company time?

Content1:

--- Quote from: UncaBuffalo on Oct 27, 2010, 09:32 ---No, I've never experienced that...but I'd like to...assuming they will hire me as 'untrained'...  ;)

Seriously, I hope ALL of the current 'trained' workers are honing their resume...on company time?

--- End quote ---

To further explain there are workers who have 20+ years in the field and hired on and have been faithful hard working people for many years at the job.  If you know about DOE sites a new person can take up to 6 month to be as fully trained as the existing people.   People are not writing resumes because they enjoy the work and are not planning to quit.   It just seems unfair a new worker with maybe 5 years in the field comes in making 15% more then the experience people currently doing all the work.   I heard this happens also at the Nevada Test site.  The reason they are making more is the number of people willing to leave their existing long term job to move to one of the most expensive areas of the country takes a high wage to attract them.   They tried offering what we made with no takers.   They kept raising the offers until it reached the level that people finally accepted.  I am not asking for a solution, just if our situation is unique or common at DOE sites.

pertle2:
I am at DOE site with multiple contractors, Yes some pay more then others for same skill set and experience. It all depends on who you get with and what you want, do you want a job that will take care of you or do you want a burn you up job. You might want to think of swithcing locations or companies 8)

jowlman:
I know the same thing happened in Oak Ridge about 5 years ago. You had techs that had been working there for many years that were making less than tech that were hired in. Same kind of thing, they had to offer more money to get people will to come. SEC finally did institute a pay scale that would up equalizing the pay. I will add that it had nothing to do with experience, just time on site.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version