Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu STA-21  

Author Topic: STA-21  (Read 13181 times)

mm3 drey

STA-21
« on: Oct 29, 2010, 10:38 »
I am currently in Nuclear Power School and am wondering about applying for STA-21. I have completed 51 credits in college, but my GPA was like around 2.2. Basically I was immature in college and didn't work at all. Right now I am 2 months from Graduation and have a 3.7 GPA in NPS. I am also the section leader of my group. Does failing in college but correcting myself in the Pipeline make me a good candidate for STA-21 or any other officer program?

Thanks for any reply..

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: STA-21
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:34 »
One challenge you will have is completing a degree in 36 months without using your prior college credits. You have to maintain your GPA above 2.5 and transferring classes from your 2.2 days will drive it down.

As for your odds on acceptance all you can do is apply, assemble your package (you will have to do almost all the work on that), and do your interviews.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2010, 02:07 »
I have completed 51 credits in college, but my GPA was like around 2.2. Basically I was immature in college and didn't work at all.

This is really a case where your past sins will haunt you....forever. 

You need to take some more classes to strengthen that GPA...but 2.2 GPA over 51 credits will be a hard road to travel in order to raise your GPA back to respectability.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2010, 02:10 »
93-383 is right, you if you try to use your previous credits, you'll have issues. However, your current GPA in NNPTC and your status as class leader will help your application. You probably have a better chance while you're a student, but it might be better to get a few more classes under your belt. It's really up to you though.

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:52 »
Don't mention your past college. Start from scratch.

Show them that you're extremely dedicated towards becoming an Officer. You're proven track record so far should provide an accurate portrait of your character.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2010, 05:53 by Yaeger »

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:58 »
One thing you can do to start is, start looking at the approved colleges and programs for STA 21 come up with a short list of those that you would like to go to and start looking at the degree requirements for that program. Then compare required credits with the courses you have already taken vs GPA of those courses. If you can find a program that only your better 2.5+ GPA credits will transfer to and your poor 2.5- GPA will not you will be able to minimize the damage done by your past. This will require a lot of checking on your part.

Once you think you have found a program talk with the admissions people to determine if your classes will transfer. You could wait until the phase of STA 21 when you look for and get accepted to a college but it would be better to get the work out of the way in this case. Your going to need a couple of possibility programs and your going to have to finish your degree in 36 months.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2010, 05:59 »
Don't mention your past college. Start from scratch.

Show them that you're extremely dedicated towards becoming an Officer. You're proven track record so far should provide an accurate portrait of your character.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/apply.asp

about halfway down the page, it instructs applicant to list every college attended.

So, basically you are advising someone to breach their integrity by willfully non-disclosing attendance.

Offline 93-383

• Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:03 »
https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/apply.asp

about halfway down the page, it instructs applicant to list every college attended.

So, basically you are advising someone to breach their integrity by willfully non-disclosing attendance.

You beat me to it, the package requires a certified transcript from all colleges attended. I had to get a transcript for a community college I took two classes at.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2010, 06:13 »

It's a strategy, I could not begin to know if it is a good or bad one, some of the contemporary officers would know best.

Hopefully they aren't the same officers reviewing his OCS package ;)

Offline Yaeger

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2010, 09:10 »
Might be Yaeger meant to ignore previous college performance on the OP's Personal Statement.

Of course, I'm not saying deliberately lie on your paperwork. I think it's a good idea to focus on your positive attributes and track record. Try not explain in detail every single weak point and spend paragraphs on bad history.

However, if you took one culinary college course during high school, never had any documented paperwork submitted to the Navy, feel free to check "No" to college credits earned.

You don't hear this too often as a Nuke, but use good judgment.

Offline goobs22xx

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2011, 01:21 »
I had a 1.04 GPA coming out of one semester of college.

I'm in the STA-21 program now. Just be ready to explain what happened and how you're on track now during those interviews.

As far as the GPA you'd be required to keep while you're in, I'm pretty sure that you would only be effected by courses that you transferred credit on, and even then it may not be looked at (as some colleges just look at transfer credits and pass/fail).

I didn't transfer any credits with me and will be able to complete my degree in the 36 month requirement without taking more than 18 hours/semester (only worth mentioning because some of my peers are taking 20+, and they did have credits transfer. It really has more to do with your area of study).

Good luck. It really is a fantastic program.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize this thread was two months old until after I posted.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2011, 01:21 by goobs22xx »

Offline aschaefer

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2011, 03:23 »
I had a 1.04 GPA coming out of one semester of college.

I'm in the STA-21 program now. Just be ready to explain what happened and how you're on track now during those interviews.

As far as the GPA you'd be required to keep while you're in, I'm pretty sure that you would only be effected by courses that you transferred credit on, and even then it may not be looked at (as some colleges just look at transfer credits and pass/fail).

I didn't transfer any credits with me and will be able to complete my degree in the 36 month requirement without taking more than 18 hours/semester (only worth mentioning because some of my peers are taking 20+, and they did have credits transfer. It really has more to do with your area of study).

Good luck. It really is a fantastic program.

edit: sorry, I didn't realize this thread was two months old until after I posted.

I'm sure others still appreciate the insight. Thanks for the post!

Caz

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2011, 12:39 »
I am currently in Nuclear Power School and am wondering about applying for STA-21. I have completed 51 credits in college, but my GPA was like around 2.2. Basically I was immature in college and didn't work at all. Right now I am 2 months from Graduation and have a 3.7 GPA in NPS. I am also the section leader of my group. Does failing in college but correcting myself in the Pipeline make me a good candidate for STA-21 or any other officer program?

Thanks for any reply..

I had a 1.1 GPA at UCLA over 2 years (about the equivalent of 50-60 semester credits) and about a 2.0 at Cal State Fullerton before I enlisted at age 24 and I successfully got picked up STA-21.  Hopefully you didn't fail any calculus or physics though... they don't like that.  In your letter, craft a story of redemption... how you didn't apply yourself properly, but now you have the drive and focus to return to college and get it done right (assuming that's all true of course).  The STA-21 board (and the Navy in general) seems to love stories of comeback and redemption.

FYI, I was able to transfer a lot of credit for classes I actually did pass and my old AP tests, and they just ignored the stuff I failed.  They essentially just waive parts of your degree requirements and grant "general credits" towards your degree for applicable courses you have credit for from somewhere else without having any of that factor into your GPA.  I ended up graduating with a 3.8 GPA and an accredited engineering degree.  SUNY Maritime in NYC may be a good choice for you if accepted for STA-21 as it was for me.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?