Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu regretting my choice

Author Topic: regretting my choice  (Read 19684 times)

Offline angkat09

• Light User
regretting my choice
« on: Oct 30, 2010, 12:14 »
I never would have thought I would regret furthering my education in a field as exciting as nuclear energy.  I went to school, studied hard, got good grades, graduated, and hit the market running- ....My student loans are now coming due and I am still unemployed. God knows its not from lack of trying, sending resumes and making daily phone calls, the feedback I relentlessly hear is NO EXPERIENCE....NO JOB! ..... rejection is taking its toll and and I regret is creeping in and making me bitter. I wont stop trying....yet. Maybe the "nuclear opportunity" is a fantasy......

fission_frenzy

Re: regretting my choice
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2010, 01:15 »
I have been searching for almost two years and just barely got my first interview. I know it can be discouraging but just stick with it and your time will come.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:04 »
If you don't mind, could you please forward me your resume for a review? Not that I can do anything with it as far as finding you a job, but my personal resume format has been successful in helping about a half dozen people find employment. I would be happy to give you some pointers. Additionally, would you mind sharing the places you have been looking, specifically, links to the job sites? And what exactly have you been applying for?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2010, 02:10 by JustinHEMI »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2010, 09:37 »
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=23936.0

I got the resume, it certainly needs work. I am in an outage, so it will take me some time but I can polish it for you.

However, looking at your work experience, I can see why they are saying you have none. Have you thought about what Dave quoted above?

Also, please list what sorts of places you have been applying.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:18 »
ya know- I dont recall any of the 30 people in my RCT class ever having ANY "work experience" .....wouldn't that be the reason we were in school?    Offers of a NEW CAREER   a NEW  STABLE LIFE.....FINANCIAL EASE- If we had experience....maybe we would have put more thought into our decision. A Jr. rct is just that..... fresh meat ...green.... No experience------ at the mercy of the industry to take a leap of faith and TRAIN us and polish the skills we have learned. It doesn't mean we are stupid, or "know -it-all's"   we just want a job...like yourself and everyone else. While doing my internship, I was amazed at how many seniors didn't know the decay formula.....or the dac or could even explain how a neutron ball worked..... Wow! The only person to receive a position after the internship didn't even pass the class! the job site was saturated w her family and her dad is apparently a RCT big shot at another site......BITTER? ......OH BOY AM I BITTER.  As for the places I have applied...... There is not a facility, company or sub I have not sent resumes to, spoke with on the phone, and still stay in contact with. I do appreciate your help, please don't get me wrong, like I said, the rejection is taking a toll.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:45 »
ya know- I dont recall any of the 30 people in my RCT class ever having ANY "work experience" .....wouldn't that be the reason we were in school?    Offers of a NEW CAREER   a NEW  STABLE LIFE.....FINANCIAL EASE- If we had experience....maybe we would have put more thought into our decision. A Jr. rct is just that..... fresh meat ...green.... No experience------ at the mercy of the industry to take a leap of faith and TRAIN us and polish the skills we have learned. It doesn't mean we are stupid, or "know -it-all's"   we just want a job...like yourself and everyone else. While doing my internship, I was amazed at how many seniors didn't know the decay formula.....or the dac or could even explain how a neutron ball worked..... Wow! The only person to receive a position after the internship didn't even pass the class! the job site was saturated w her family and her dad is apparently a RCT big shot at another site......BITTER? ......OH BOY AM I BITTER.  As for the places I have applied...... There is not a facility, company or sub I have not sent resumes to, spoke with on the phone, and still stay in contact with. I do appreciate your help, please don't get me wrong, like I said, the rejection is taking a toll.

I know exactly what you are talking about, having had a similar experience when I got into the industry back in the '80s.  The student adviser told me, "Oh yeah, Radiation Safety has nearly 100% hiring on graduation."  And when he said it, it was true.  Unfortunately, then (as now) the schools were churning out way more students then the industry could absorb.  By the time my graduation came around, I had to sit on the bench for almost 6 months before I got my first job.  

The school stopped training people a couple of classes after mine, because they admitted the industry was saturated.  

Since then, we had a major contraction of the available jobs in the 90's, as plants tried to meet a budget & be competitive in a deregulated environment.  Many of the old techs left the business for greener pastures.

Suddenly, in recent years, things started to look good again.  Aging Workforce needing to be replaced.  'Nuclear Renaissance'.  Stimulus Money.  We'd better start cranking some students out.  And it was great for the first ones thru the first programs.  Unfortunately, too many schools set up too many programs cranking out too many graduates...and I don't see them slowing down...  :(

Anyway, I feel your pain, but that doesn't help you on an individual basis.  The one bright point is that next spring there are a ton of outages that have to be staffed.  Keep contacting all the firms that you are in touch with, keep looking for more contacts, and be ready & willing to leave on a moment's notice next spring.  I'm pretty sure there will be enough jobs to go around (unless the stimulus money goes away), so be ready to grab yours. 

Good Luck!  Here's hoping the industry ends up being as good to you as it has been to me.  :)
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010, 09:39 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2010, 04:47 »
There will be radcon experience a-plenty in a couple years on Bldg. 65 ;)

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:15 »
sweet! i SHOULD BE SETTLED IN TO A COZY CARDBOARD BOX AT THAT TIME ....PUT ME ON THE LIST ::)

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:17 »
ya know- I dont recall any of the 30 people in my RCT class ever having ANY "work experience" .....wouldn't that be the reason we were in school?    Offers of a NEW CAREER   a NEW  STABLE LIFE.....FINANCIAL EASE- If we had experience....maybe we would have put more thought into our decision. A Jr. rct is just that..... fresh meat ...green.... No experience------ at the mercy of the industry to take a leap of faith and TRAIN us and polish the skills we have learned. It doesn't mean we are stupid, or "know -it-all's"   we just want a job...like yourself and everyone else. While doing my internship, I was amazed at how many seniors didn't know the decay formula.....or the dac or could even explain how a neutron ball worked..... Wow! The only person to receive a position after the internship didn't even pass the class! the job site was saturated w her family and her dad is apparently a RCT big shot at another site......BITTER? ......OH BOY AM I BITTER.  As for the places I have applied...... There is not a facility, company or sub I have not sent resumes to, spoke with on the phone, and still stay in contact with. I do appreciate your help, please don't get me wrong, like I said, the rejection is taking a toll.

Step 1: STOP WHINING

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:28 »
AAAAHHH, you must be related to the above mentioned school mate.....she had a way w words also.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2010, 05:48 »
sweet! i SHOULD BE SETTLED IN TO A COZY CARDBOARD BOX AT THAT TIME ....PUT ME ON THE LIST ::)

ACORN will be hiring soon as well...

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:14 »
Don't forget that schools and training programs are trying to cash in on the "nuclear opportunity" as well.  You take a gamble as you invest your time and money on something that gives no guarantee of employment.

The opportunity that I see is that the nuclear industry is reaching retirement age.  This means that people actually have to RETIRE in significant enough numbers to accomodate all the new candidates.  In this economy, perhaps many are putting off that retirement.  Who can blame them?

Competition is going to be rough going.  When you have a pool of candidates, why wouldn't you take the best?  What if you are applying next to people with more education or have experience?

The education program I am currently involved with was sponsored in part by two local Nuclear plants.  The first class graduated last May and several were hired at both plants.  It makes sense that they took those candidates that performed the best and perhaps those who already had connections at the plant (afterall, inhouse references do pull weight).

Personally I dislike that Colleges and Universities offer unmarketable degrees, or in quantities that oversaturate the market.  What can you do?  As for me, I'm working a job unrelated to my education and live within my means.  I'd recommend the same until you find your "nuclear opportunity".
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2010, 01:35 »
lookin again......sumthins gotta give!

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2010, 02:05 »
Check your PM's
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

stownsend

« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2010, 04:06 »
looking again......sumthins gotta give!
Are you calling all the Contract company's? Willing to take a janitor position? Travel? Just get your foot in the door, show what you are made of,and maybe something better will happen tommorrow. Hang in there. Do what ever you have to do to pay the bills and fight for everything you get.You'll appreciate it more than that girl who slid right in. I've been doing this for thirty some years and nobody gave me anything except a chance. It will come and I hope you're ready. I've seen many people who knew someone and got that better job.So what,good for them,I wish it was me. Now get busy and call everyone everyday until your fingers blister than you can slack off to every other day.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2010, 04:08 by stownsend »

co60slr

« Reply #16 on: Nov 06, 2010, 11:07 »
I got the resume, it certainly needs work. I am in an outage, so it will take me some time but I can polish it for you.

However, looking at your work experience, I can see why they are saying you have none. Have you thought about what Dave quoted above?

Also, please list what sorts of places you have been applying.
I've polished a few recently too.   Perhaps another subforum (Navy: Getting Out: Resumes) is needed.   This process is hard enough without people getting the door slammed at Gate 1 (resume).

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2010, 01:14 »
I recall that when SNOB's were about to get out we had a book that listed contacts and one of them was a professional resume person who was willing to do a little pro bono work....... Just a thought, but maybe Nukeworker could do the same.....Now will a moderator please reprimand me for being [OT] and move this to where it belongs :stupidme:...... Thanks

Mike
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2010, 02:56 »
THANKS MIKE!  LOL!

RAD-GHOST

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2010, 03:15 »
Priceless,...

Not that I would be one to take things out of context, but that's frik'in funny!     ROFL

I'm sitting here on the edge of my seat........ :D

After the resume tweek, has the industry aquired another Nuclear God...... :o

RG

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2010, 12:01 »
I won't sugar coat this for you. Wait until the community organizer's money runs out and a thousand and one hp's are out looking for work. Hanford alone has hired 300 hp's with stimulus money and it's coming to an end. They've hired techs who have been out of the business 10, 15 years.

There simply is not enough work in this business anymore for someone to walk in off the street with no previous experience and get hired. And as you've found out, it gets even tougher when you have no one on the inside to help get you in.

That being said, you never know if you keep trying.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2010, 01:26 »
woo hoo!   7 more resumes sent out!    CROSSIN MY FINGERS....TOES....EYES....

tselby

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2010, 01:27 »
woo hoo!   7 more resumes sent out!    CROSSIN MY FINGERS....TOES....EYES....

Good luck i am sure something will come your way.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 10, 2010, 01:36 »
Thank you!    gotta keep tryin! [thanks]

tselby

« Reply #24 on: Nov 10, 2010, 01:43 »
thats the only way to be, persistance and patience pays off in the nuclear industry!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?