Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu regretting my choice  

Author Topic: regretting my choice  (Read 19800 times)

89gloomis

Re: regretting my choice
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2010, 04:47 »
After reading this I am quite suprised. From the class of 30 you speak of I seem to recall more than just that one girl getting jobs. I feel bad that everyone that was willing to travel hasn't found work because I know it sucks. But complaining about 9 months of school and what $3000. Really? Try a $40,000 Bachelors degree and finding out the same thing. Or people that have Master's Degrees and are working as janitors. That class needs to get realistic. You recieved a certificate (not a degree) for 9 months of school and everyone is suprised they don't have multiple job offers? Previous posters are correct that hopefully something will come along but why hire a person with no experience IF they have people with more/better education and/or work experience? Regret giving up a whole nine months and a few thousand bucks for a chance at a great career. Just so you know though if I would have been hiring, you would have been the 2nd person out of that class that I would have hired.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #26 on: Nov 15, 2010, 02:28 »
my post reads she was the only one to receive an offer after the INTERNSHIP, not out of the 30 students. I believe several have found jobs and are very happy at this time. THANK YOU for your closing comment, Id really like to know who u are, considering we were apparently in the same class. im curious to know your age and financial situation- deciding to go back to school at my age was a big step....being a single mommy it was difficult and yes, even a measly 10,000 dollar burden and a mear 11 months of school can cause  a lot of stress....for me....maybe not you. fearing those loans comming due and not having the satisfaction of knowing a career was the good that came from the debt is a hard reality.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Nov 15, 2010, 07:59 »
If your resume looks anything like some of your posts (e.g. spelling and grammar mistakes, punctuation errors, etc.), I wouldn't take a second look at it. I realize this is a public forum, and I know it's been mentioned before, but attention to detail counts for a lot. Everybody here understands that you're under a lot of stress, but this job also involves stress. If you're blowing up at us here, how will you react when dealing with a nuclear reactor or its associated jobs?

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #28 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:30 »
wow! your right! along with that, i think using smiley faces, character photos and silly user names is equally as harmful. MY HELL! WHAT WAS I THINKING? You should immediately notify the forum manager and have them removed, and maybe suggest rules for proper use of the English language......maybe induce penalties for bad grammar, spelling errors and slang....  ITS A FORUM....GET OVER IT! I don't believe I or anyone else planned to post an interview via nukeworker forum.

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #29 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:48 »
Personally, I don't know MMM, Im concerned that this person feels I was blowing up at him/her. A rant about my personal frustrations is no indication that I BLAME or hold anyone responsible but myself. I appreciate all the feedback, good or bad- it lets me know im not alone and there are others as frustrated as myself. You need to relax, don't take things so personal. Oh ya..... I bet text shorthand totally  disgusts you!....... [dowave]

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #30 on: Nov 15, 2010, 10:01 »
You seriously don't want to go down this road over something you obviously consider a joke. Simply take the criticism and move on. The people here are nuclear professionals and some of them may happen to be the ones that are going to read your revamped resume when I am done critiquing it. It may be a joke to you, but to most here, it is not.

About that, sorry it is taking me longer than usual, but since my return here, my PM inbox has been over flowing and I am also busy at work. But I promise something to you by tomorrow evening.

Justin

Offline angkat09

• Light User
« Reply #31 on: Nov 15, 2010, 11:13 »
Dear MMM,

I am truly sorry!

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:31 »
ang,
I should have left out the first part, but I missed it in the editting process (sorry about that). Something to think about, there are hiring managers that read these, and possibly post here. The emoticons and what not are sometimes helpful for getting your point across, but spelling/grammar is important, and yes, texting shorthand makes me twitch a bit  ;) but it's usually between two people not in public. I hope your job search improves.

co60slr

« Reply #33 on: Nov 16, 2010, 04:22 »
If your resume looks anything like some of your posts (e.g. spelling and grammar mistakes, punctuation errors, etc.), I wouldn't take a second look at it. I realize this is a public forum, and I know it's been mentioned before, but attention to detail counts for a lot. Everybody here understands that you're under a lot of stress, but this job also involves stress. If you're blowing up at us here, how will you react when dealing with a nuclear reactor or its associated jobs?
Content in resumes counts more than grammar/spelling.   I can show you a 4.0 grammatically correct resume that will have no hope of getting its author a job.

Attention to detail in a Forum Post counts for nothing.   We don't know her, she doesn't know us, and many people get jobs, join the Navy, have kids, without visiting "Nukeworker" for permission.

I've seen people come completely unglued "on the job".   The worst posting in here is tame compared to real life.

Otherwise, the OP needs to hear from a "mom" who has been able to manage two full time jobs:   Nuclear (toughest technical job) and Mom (toughtest job in Life).  <Insert sound of chiping crickets for now>

My $0.25 opinion:  you have to chose (at least initially) one "toughest job" and do well at it.   The people I've seen try both are marginal at both.   This isn't a sexist perspective though...same holds true for the Dads out there.   Going to to sea and leaving your family behind is a HUGE sacrifice...you pick the job (Dad's don't normally get an option of going to shore duty if they're expecting a baby....now THAT is sexist!)

Separately, the OP is also the "head of household" on the income chart.   (Make that 3 tough jobs then).

Sorry, we can't help you with this decision.   The rest is just banter here on Nukeworker where in the absence of adding value to a thread, we spell check it.

:)
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2010, 04:24 by Co60Slr »

co60slr

« Reply #34 on: Nov 16, 2010, 04:27 »
ang,
I should have left out the first part, but I missed it in the editting process (sorry about that). Something to think about, there are hiring managers that read these, and possibly post here.
Oh...and people should worry more about what Hiring Managers (et al) read on Facebook, not on here.   I haven't heard of anyone getting fired for posting here, but I have heard of negative consequences (e.g., termination) from Facebook content.

Co58

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #35 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:34 »
Oh...and people should worry more about what Hiring Managers (et al) read on Facebook, not on here.   I haven't heard of anyone getting fired for posting here, but I have heard of negative consequences (e.g., termination) from Facebook content.

Co58

Possibly because most everybody here maintains some professionalism and typically doesn't bad mouth their employer without facts to back it up?

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Nov 16, 2010, 06:05 »
Seems like the thread has gone adrift here a tad.Started off stating that perhaps the net gain in employment marketability in our "business" (whatever strain) at the completion of one of the various renaissance fueled  2 yr. Associate courses, may not be all that it was purported to be, most likely by a joint advertising venture between the institution and their associated (usually local) sponsors. Now we are contemplating whether you are more likely to be fired if you post in a less than stellar fashion on f-book or here. Always remember general order #1 in the 3.1 manual - It really does matter...how radiation interacts with matter.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?