Career Path > DOE

Shipyard RadCon

<< < (4/4)

Brett LaVigne:
I started 21 years ago at a shipyard, left after 2 years for commercial work. I have found the NAV-SEA 108 thing to be a favorable qual to have. It has never been a negative. I still consider it to be the most comprehensive training I have ever had. Also considering the failure rate of the 108 training program, I have always been proud of the fact that I made it through. You should have no problem getting a job with that background.

Glowing Green:
I did just 3 year and 10 months in the NAVSEA program, and I have already managed to escape.  The 108 qualification is a very valued qual in the industry.  I have started the new position in the DOE world....much more money than shipyard, I am a Senior Tech and actually feel like I hold the knowledge of being a Sr Tech, when in the shipyard I was just a high Jr.  Back in the beginning of the year I even got interviewed by TVA. I must say I'm happy to have had my 108, even though the training is stringent, I feel like I know A LOT.  If you ever work DOE, you will know what I'm talking about.  I've only been working DOE for 2 weeks and already I see some crazy stuff....lol!!  Taking some other test are also valuable like the CORE and maybe even NRRPT.

metalman40:
Navy and civilian Art. 108 look great on my resume and I am glad to have them.
As far as jobs that require the quals, they exist, philotechnics use to hire for them along with a couple of others {do web searches}, but they are low paying for the most part. Take the time to study for the core and go DOE or do the outage circuit. You make more money. If you want to stay 108 the shipyards hire on usajobs.com.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version