Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu My "nuclear journey" thus far..... honeypot

Author Topic: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....  (Read 73370 times)

Fermi2

Re: My "nuclear journey" thus far.....
« Reply #25 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:01 »
Soon it will make the turn provided we aren't assaulted anymore with this Briggs Myers BS.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #26 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:07 »
Yeah, but is this thread still racing out to apogee or is it returning to perigee?!?

Apogee

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:19 »
Soon it will make the turn provided we aren't assaulted anymore with this Briggs Myers BS.

[BS] on the  [BS]

It's quite effective if used for it's intended purpose. It does not tell anyone what they would be good at, just what they will be happy with. The individual chapters for each type can help the individual understand himself and how he/she may relate to other categories if he chooses which some of us (BZ) do not.

If the issue is deciding what he wants to do with his life it seems very appropriate. From the standpoint of someone who already has accepted the "Golden Handcuffs" it is not relevant. Nor is it relevant for anyone who does not care about relating or communicating across a variety of personality types when "My Way or the Highway" is the only relevant venue.

Now back our regularly scheduled sniping.  [coffee]

Fermi2

« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2010, 11:26 »
Honestly, this is a tough industry, and a technical industry. I don't believe for one bit psychobabble like Briggs Myers applies. If you come to me I could care less what motivates you just have your technical ducks in a row and we'll be just fine. If your feelings get hurt, that's your problem not mine. People get paid a good wage in nuclear, just do your job, no one is required to compliment you or make you feel warm and fuzzy about yourself, so don't expect it. That's all one needs to succeed in nuclear.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2010, 12:45 »
Honestly, this is a tough industry, and a technical industry. I don't believe for one bit psychobabble like Briggs Myers applies. If you come to me I could care less what motivates you just have your technical ducks in a row and we'll be just fine. If your feelings get hurt, that's your problem not mine. People get paid a good wage in nuclear, just do your job, no one is required to compliment you or make you feel warm and fuzzy about yourself, so don't expect it. That's all one needs to succeed in nuclear.

I think we just agreed for the most part, even if you may not think so.

Offline Bradtv

• Moderate User
  • NukeLurker
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:33 »
Can you get by without it?  Of course. I agree that typing isn't necessary in the NUCLEAR industry, BZ.  Outside of the industry is a whole other ballpark and can be useful if correctly utilized.

As per off topic, the OP put out his story intending to benefit any other readers.  Like the Myers-Briggs, the whole topic isn't necessary and you can get by without reading it, but there are parts in it that are helpful (to the intended audience).  Unfortunately, most of it does not occur past the first post.
"Life is pleasant.  Death is peaceful.
It's the transition that's troublesome."  -Asimov

Offline Neutron Whisperer

• Moderate User
  • What do you bring to the table?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2010, 12:35 »
Yeah, but is this thread still racing out to apogee or is it returning to perigee?!?

BZ's general observation on Internet forums/threads etal, By the 5th post in any thread it starts drifting off topic. By 12 to 15 it has nothing to do with the original topic and if it surives to 30 or so it magically gets back on topic. This applies almost everywhere.

Mike

So where does "How would you fix the NNPP" fit in? (It's at 20 pages, who knows how many posts)
Disclaimer: there is no "tone" to my post.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:02 »
Day one of NPS in officially in the books. Only 23 weeks and 4 days left to go! Fast paced is an understatement.  ;)

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #33 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:12 »
Congrats and goodluck!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #34 on: Jan 10, 2011, 07:15 »
Day one of NPS in officially in the books. Only 23 weeks and 4 days left to go! Fast paced is an understatement.  ;)

Do well! remember the BS is all a game, just learn to play it. Keep your nose clean and study hard. RP is what you are starting on if I remember correctly, and thats definitely the easiest class by far. Dont be afraid or worse, too proud to ask for help if you need it (from staff or students doing well). Likewise if you are breezing through it, make sure you are helping your shipmates out.

Chimera

« Reply #35 on: Jan 10, 2011, 08:51 »
Likewise if you are breezing through it, make sure you are helping your shipmates out.

The old adage is, "He who teaches learns twice."  You'll be amazed how much more sense things make when you work in a small study group.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 11, 2011, 05:18 »
Thanks everyone.

The first 3 classes are RPS, Math, and Physics. RP, MTMO, ETMO, HTFF all come later (and not necessarily in that order). Also, thanks for the advice on studying. I always found studying in small groups to be most effective for me also and will continue the practice throughout NPS. If I can explain a topic to a shipmate during study time, I've found that I can usually explain it when test time comes as well. :)

Now to work on getting myself back in shape while keeping up with academics. Holiday standown and the resultant 1 month break from exercise was not so nice to my run times or my relatively "old" knees!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Jan 12, 2011, 11:23 »
Thanks everyone.

The first 3 classes are RPS, Math, and Physics. RP, MTMO, ETMO, HTFF all come later (and not necessarily in that order). Also, thanks for the advice on studying. I always found studying in small groups to be most effective for me also and will continue the practice throughout NPS. If I can explain a topic to a shipmate during study time, I've found that I can usually explain it when test time comes as well. :)

Now to work on getting myself back in shape while keeping up with academics. Holiday standown and the resultant 1 month break from exercise was not so nice to my run times or my relatively "old" knees!

yes, keep in mind you are a sailor, not just a nuke. You have other things to keep in check while maintaining your studies. Hell, Id imagine you could work something out with your LCPO to get your hours lowered as long as you were hitting the gym or jogging the lap around school. 

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2011, 06:40 »
yes, keep in mind you are a sailor, not just a nuke. You have other things to keep in check while maintaining your studies. Hell, Id imagine you could work something out with your LCPO to get your hours lowered as long as you were hitting the gym or jogging the lap around school. 

I would definitely consider asking about that if i weren't already on the lowest hours program allowed by my LCPO.  ;) Unfortunately, hours programs don't really mean much in the grand scheme of things if you are already doing more than the minimum required hours in order to properly complete homework assignments and effective study. Speaking of which, off I go for another night of study! Thanks everyone!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Apr 14, 2011, 08:10 »
9 more weeks and holding steady at a 3.33 overall. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #40 on: Apr 14, 2011, 10:37 »
9 more weeks and holding steady at a 3.33 overall. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!

lol thats what I had ;) Never got a question wrong, merely nickeled and dimed on every question haha.

9 weeks is cake, if you;re this far with a 3.33, you're good to go. Just dont get cocky and lazy, and you will do allright ;)

Offline Styrofoam

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Apr 15, 2011, 01:10 »
9 weeks is cake, if you;re this far with a 3.33, you're good to go. Just dont get cocky and lazy, and you will do allright ;)

Probably shouldn't have told him that, then. :P

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #42 on: Apr 15, 2011, 08:02 »
Probably shouldn't have told him that, then. :P

Why? If he's mature and responsible enough to get this far with a 3.33, then he should be mature and responsible enough to keep it going. If he's not, he doesnt deserve to move on in the program, its that simple :). Basically telling him to look at the light at the end of the tunnel. As you will find out, power school is FRUSTRATING. Its hard to see the big picture sometimes when you are in your desk for 15 hours a day, and 20 on weekends.

:)

Offline Smooth Operator

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2011, 08:27 »

9 weeks? If I remember correctly, I made my most significant improvement in grades the last 1/3 of Power School. If you can work harder, do so, maybe create for yourself an arbitrary goal of improving to 3.4 or 3.5, therefore ensuring you won't drop below your 3.33.

There is no maintaining in nuclear power. You're either getting better or worse.

Good luck!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #44 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:43 »

With grades that good, he should ask his Command Master Chief for orders to be a plankholder on NEWCON for the SSGN Patsy Schroeder  ;)

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #45 on: Apr 15, 2011, 03:57 »
With grades that good, he should ask his Command Master Chief for orders to be a plankholder on NEWCON for the SSGN Patsy Schroeder  ;)

*sniff sniff* I smell... wait that can't be it.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #46 on: Apr 17, 2011, 03:15 »
Why? If he's mature and responsible enough to get this far with a 3.33, then he should be mature and responsible enough to keep it going. If he's not, he doesnt deserve to move on in the program, its that simple :). Basically telling him to look at the light at the end of the tunnel. As you will find out, power school is FRUSTRATING. Its hard to see the big picture sometimes when you are in your desk for 15 hours a day, and 20 on weekends.

:)

Let me just say that being 27 and going through NPS has been a blessing and a curse  :old: :P Fortunately, I've lived life enough at this point to know that everything is temporary and nothing worth having comes without hard work and a little bit of frustration.

Oh yeah, same here with the nickels and dimes on questions. It's ok though, I'm drawing interest and hoping for a nice return in dollars when I graduate!  ;D  ROFL

9 weeks? If I remember correctly, I made my most significant improvement in grades the last 1/3 of Power School. If you can work harder, do so, maybe create for yourself an arbitrary goal of improving to 3.4 or 3.5, therefore ensuring you won't drop below your 3.33.

There is no maintaining in nuclear power. You're either getting better or worse.

Good luck!

I actually have made it my goal to finish with over a 3.40. I would love to graduate with distinction (as I did in A-school). So far, my second half grades (3.46 avg.) are improving overall vice my first half grades (3.30-ish avg). I have definitely found second half NPS more interesting and while not necessarily "easier", I believe I have become more efficient and adjusted as time has gone on. Let's just hope the trend continues and I can reach my goal.

Thanks guys.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2011, 10:02 »
Just checking in. 4 tests plus comp exam left. The end is NEAR!!!

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #48 on: Jun 13, 2011, 05:03 »
Comp tomorrow..... :stupidme: I hope it doesn't [spank] me.

Offline yota

• Moderate User
« Reply #49 on: Jun 14, 2011, 05:39 »
3.24 I'll take it! I can't believe NPS is finally over!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?