Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Long-Sleeve Shirt Requirement honeypot

Author Topic: Long-Sleeve Shirt Requirement  (Read 18768 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Long-Sleeve Shirt Requirement
« on: Oct 05, 2010, 02:53 »
Is there an OSHA requirement to wear long-sleeve, natural-fiber shirts on all construction sites?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Long-Sleeve Shirt Requirement
« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2010, 04:14 »
Is there an OSHA requirement to wear long-sleeve, natural-fiber shirts on all construction sites?

Probably the requirement regarding being near high voltage lines for flash protection

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2010, 06:49 »
Probably the requirement regarding being near high voltage lines for flash protection

That was our first guess, but then they started saying it was to prevent burns on hot pipes.  Now they are saying, "That's just the way it is at construction sites."  I'm trying to figure out if there's actually any regs that pertain to long-sleeves, or if they are just winging it...?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2010, 09:54 »
So, that is why there are so many guys wearing t-shirts and wifebeaters on every construction site you will ever see.

The explanation is indicative of an instructor who doesn't know the answer, doesn't want to look it up, and figures you'll believe his BS because he's the instructor and you are not.  "Winging it" is a nice way to phrase it.

The OSHA standard for apparel is in the General Industry Standard covering Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution (like the power plants where we all work).  29CFR1910.269

NOT Construction.

The standard does not specifically require long sleeved shirts, nor does it prohibit you from cutting off the sleeves of your shirts.  It doesn't apply everywhere - just where there is a risk of exposure to arc or flame.  Since you, as an I&C Tech., are routinely exposed to Low Voltage electrical circuits, your exposure would fit into the matrix right about at the point where you have to wear natural fiber shirts, but not FR clothing.

However, (there is ALWAYS a however) if long sleeves are considered a "generally accepted work practice" for the particular environment or process, then the employer would be required to enforce the wearing of them under the provisions of the General Duty Clause of the OSH Act.

Here is a link to an interpretation memo.  http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=21878&p_table=INTERPRETATIONS
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2010, 11:37 »

The OSHA standard for apparel is in the General Industry Standard covering Electric Power Generation, Transmission and Distribution (like the power plants where we all work).  29CFR1910.269

NOT Construction.

Unfortunately, they have declared our whole site as 'Construction', (mostly due to work on the fossil units that are also inside our fence), so...?
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 12:26 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:09 »
The standard you have to follow is based on what work you are doing at the moment.  The rule of thumb to follow when there are more than one type of work in an area, is to follow both standards and default to whichever is more protective (restrictive).  That way you are covered in any case.
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 01:47 by BeerCourt »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2010, 12:31 »
I did see this in attempting to help

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=INTERPRETATIONS&p_id=18442

also this statement

1910.132(h)(4)(ii)
Everyday clothing, such as long-sleeve shirts, long pants, street shoes, and
normal work boots; or

Which could imply long sleeve shirts are needed

sf
« Last Edit: Oct 06, 2010, 12:33 by spentfuel »

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2010, 03:10 »
Thanks, everyone!  :)

Sun Dog

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2010, 05:34 »
States with independent programs may have unique requirements.  For example, those of you who are fortunate enough to be working in California  :stupidme: ROFL  may want to check out Title 8:

Subchapter 7. General Industry Safety Orders
Group 2. Safe Practices and Personal Protection
Article 10. Personal Safety Devices and Safeguards
§3383. Body Protection.
(a) Body protection may be required for employees whose work exposes parts of their body, not otherwise protected as required by other orders in this article, to hazardous or flying substances or objects.
(b) Clothing appropriate for the work being done shall be worn. Loose sleeves, tails, ties, lapels, cuffs, or other loose clothing which can be entangled in moving machinery shall not be worn.
(c) Clothing saturated or impregnated with flammable liquids, corrosive substances, irritants or oxidizing agents shall be removed and shall not be worn until properly cleaned.

Subchapter 4. Construction Safety Orders
Article 3. General
§1522. Body Protection.
 (a) Appropriate body protection shall be required for those employees whose work exposes them to injurious materials.
NOTE: Employees should be cautioned to wash promptly and thoroughly after exposure to injurious substances.
(b) Clothing appropriate for the work being done shall be worn. Loose sleeves, tails, ties, frills, lapels, cuffs, or other loose clothing shall not be worn around machinery in which it might become entangled.
(c) Clothing saturated or impregnated with flammable liquids, corrosive substances, irritants, or oxidizing agents shall be promptly removed, and shall not be worn until cleaned.
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2010, 05:41 by Sun Dog »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?